Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance advice needed

Options
  • 29-05-2011 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi.

Me and my boyfriend are looking to rent an appartment, he works part time and I am on the dole! I only work sundays. he has been renting for 2 years now and im still at home.

Can anyone tell me if I would be able to get rent allowance or do I have to be renting for 6 months? (this doesnt really make sense to me)

I hope someone can help because I am very nervous about this. The place we have been looking at is €950 a month, is that too much??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hey you have to be renting privatly for 6 months before applying for rent allowance, or be on the social housing list.

Also rent allowance rates are different everywhere in the country, but you will definatly not get rent allowance for a place worth 950 a month.

I am not sure how it works if your boyfriend is working, you might not get any dole as you will be a cohabitant. I'm not 100% sure how it works so someone else who knows more will probably explain it better here.

Check out http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html#l62fd2 as regards rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Depends on where you live, but for a couple Your bf will have to be signing on part time. You will be viewed as cohabiting which might mean you will be docked a few euro even. The cap for Dublin is 800 for a couple. This is the highest paid in Ireland.
    If it is a case you bf earns enough then you will not be entitled to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cazzy25

Thanks for replies!

My bf only gets like 350 a week and not on dole cos he decided to go to college couple of years ago and they kept him part time! even tho my rent will be 475 a month??

Hoping to live in Walkinstown?

Im so nervous. I cant afford for them to take money off me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

The maximum rent in Dublin is 800 per month for a couple for rent allowance so you will not get a place for 950. I don't know how it works since your BF isnt on the dole either but I would imagine at best case scenario you would get the single person rate which is 529 per person in dublin. I doubt you will get this as his means are now your means if you are living together. Again sorry i don't know much about cohabitating couples, im sure someone with more knowledge then myself will come along eventually.

Also pop into citizens advice they will tell you everything you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Limericks wrote: »
    The maximum rent in Dublin is 800 per month for a couple for rent allowance so you will not get a place for 950. I don't know how it works since your BF isnt on the dole either but I would imagine at best case scenario you would get the single person rate which is 529 per person in dublin. I doubt you will get this as his means are now your means if you are living together. Again sorry i don't know much about cohabitating couples, im sure someone with more knowledge then myself will come along eventually.

Also pop into citizens advice they will tell you everything you need to know.

No... As I said before...
    the only way this would work is if you dont say you are living with your boyfriend and are renting a room in the apartment so it would need to be a 2 bed. Also seen as you have just moved out of home you will not get rent allowance unless you are register with the council.

As a couple cohabiting they will base your allowance on his earning too as if you are married. To be honest his 350 is what many earn on minimum wage full time and so you would not be entitled to anything then....

• Advertisement
Advertisement