Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

A lot of Irish landlords don't treat renting of a property as a business and act like they are doing the tenant a favor by allowing them to live there rather than it being a business transaction.

For a long time the rental industry was very unregulated but now that has changed. Some landlords have embraced it and other still resent it and feel like they're being screwed over by having to maintain their property to a set standard.

Its a lottery when renting a place with regards to what landlord you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

There are a lot of Rigby type landlords out there but then there are a lot of bad tenants too.
    Irish people dont seem to realise that a tenancy agreement is a legal agreement which they are signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

A lot of Irish landlords don't treat renting of a property as a business and act like they are doing the tenant a favor by allowing them to live there rather than it being a business transaction.

For a long time the rental industry was very unregulated but now that has changed. Some landlords have embraced it and other still resent it and feel like they're being screwed over by having to maintain their property to a set standard.

Its a lottery when renting a place with regards to what landlord you get.

The lottery is been played by landlords, the tenants hold all the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The lottery is been played by landlords, the tenants hold all the cards.

Yes I agree.

It should be quick and free to get non paying tenants evicted. Landlords pay income tax, they should have their right to run their business protected.

I agree with the newer laws around giving tenants security in their properties, but at the same time landlords shouldn't be screwed when a tenant decides not to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

susi22 wrote: »
    I'm curious about the general experiences people have with landlords to see if they are overwhelmingly positive or negative.

People are more vocal about bad experience than good ones in general. Just human nature, especially on the internet. Also people are biased and rarely bother to find out if their bias have a basis in facts and statistics.

• Advertisement

I'm curious about the general experiences people have with landlords to see if they are overwhelmingly positive or negative.

A forum isn't going to a good way of judging that. Better to look at the numbers of people renting, vs complaints and disputes, and also accept that a lot of people don't complain. So its more of a guide than accurate.

I can assure you, it only appears that way. I think, were the problem recurring, I might have figured it out by now, no?

It might not be you specifically it might the type of places you are renting, or type of people you are renting from. Maybe even the location.

Lots of threads on here where people rent places that obviously dire, then complain that they are dire. I'm sure the reverse is also true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thread is five years old! Will lock when I get back to a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Must have close to 10 over the years though for maybe half I was a lodger and not a proper tenant.

Some treated almost like a son, no joke. The others were sound and only one was a convicted tax dodging (google search) crooked bully who gave me no end of grief.

I just figured it's not different to most parts of the population. Take taxi drivers, most are cool guys but its the cheating abrasive lad that you remember

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Closed- please don't post in zombie threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement