Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just realised my Tenancy is actually a Licence....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Because it really isn't clear.

If the three of you renting had all the hallmarks of a usual tenancy, your room was your room and nobody was allowed enter without permission, the landlord or anybody else couldn't stroll in without permission, you had some sort of say on other tenants coming into the property, then your a tenant. And I mean one of those things, not all of them.

And your approach with the RTB should be, I am a tenant because of x reason, the landlord is trying to evict me as a licensee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Also this Tribunal decision

Zhang v. Holohan (17th January 2012, Reference No. TR168/2011/DR92/2011).
    https://www.rtb.ie/documents/TR168-2011/TR168-2011-DR92-2011Report.pdf

In case anybody doesn't want to read it, the TLDR:

Rented a room under the impression of it being a tenancy.
    Had proof of arrangement with landlord where she gave approval for other tenants when they applied to rent the other room.
    RTB acknowledge the exclusive use of the room and the non-exclusive use of the property.
    Landlord moved into the other room, claimed she was a licensee and illegally evicted her.
    Fine was damm cheap considering his actions.

None of that proves 4ensic15's point but is great at proving mine.

What was your point?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OK folks, I'm going to close this thread now.

Legal advice is to neither be sought or given in A & P and we're straying away from general discussion.

OP, you need independent, qualified legal advice from somebody in possession of all of the facts. You are not going to get that here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement