Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 254 - Khabib v Gaethje

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,941 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dominant performance but the difference in size was very noticeable.
    It was like a lightweight vs big welterweight.

I don't understand how he can get that big in 24 hours.

Like the size advantage was huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Has he just retired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Looked upset/teary alright, presumably the lack of his Dad in the corner. Hard to know whether that's a pro or a con though. Could put in the fight of his life with that fuelling him.

Wasn't 100% on this but based on the reaction at the end 100% he was very emotional.

McGregor should never ever fight him again. After making the Covid joke about his dad I'm not sure Khabib would release him if he tapped to a joke or a joint lock.

He's a terrifying prospect, who next? With the weight being so obviously tough for him does he go up?

Piss-easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Is there any point in opponent going for Khabibs legs like he does go others???? No??

Was Justin really scared?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yeah the rumours of Gaethje not having interest in grappling are true. Khabib was straight to mount after his first take down.

Khabib retiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

GOAT

he just retired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Wasn't 100% on this but based on the reaction at the end 100% he was very emotional.

McGregor should never ever fight him again. After making the Covid joke about his dad I'm not sure Khabib would release him if he tapped to a joke or a joint lock.

He's a terrifying prospect, who next? With the weight being so obviously tough for him does he go up?

What covid joke?

• Advertisement

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    he just retired

He will want 30 fights, he'll be back for a big payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mMa rETirEmEnTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Respect to the most dominant fighter in the history of the game .

He won’t be back. Nothing left to prove.

Goat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Absolute phenomenon. Going out at the top. 29-0. Will there ever be another fighter as dominant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Khabib has these fights won before they start they are all frightened of their lives for his takedown !
    He has them all beaten mentally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Gaethje looked wrecked after a minute. Very disappointing performance other than the kicks. I know Khabib put pressure on but Gaethje looked out on his feet in the first round.

Khabib looked so dominant on the ground it seemed just a matter of time when he got him down again. He makes people look like mugs as he is so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Absolute phenomenon. Going out at the top. 29-0. Will there ever be another fighter as dominant?

Hopefully not. He's a boring cnut to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

eagle eye wrote: »
    Dominant performance but the difference in size was very noticeable.
    It was like a lightweight vs big welterweight.

I don't understand how he can get that big in 24 hours.

Like the size advantage was huge.

No different to what McGregor used to do at 145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Only if you don't understand grappling or fights in general.

mdwexford wrote:
    Respect to the most dominant fighter in the history of the game .
    He's up there but never faced really too class fighters.
    If he'd moved up to welter and won the belt there I'd agree that he's be the goat.

Like he has a huge size advantage at lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Dustin v Conor possibly for the belt so?

xtal191 wrote:
    No different to what McGregor used to do at 145
    Agree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't think he's boring to watch. He's so intense looking, like a Russian bear let loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You do realise its mixed martial arts and not a Bruce Lee film?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Dustin v Conor possibly for the belt so?

Would be a disgrace of a decision to make that a title fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,625 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think he's boring to watch. He's so intense looking, like a Russian bear let loose.

I really enjoyed his intensity and commitment tonight..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's usually around 7am now... I'm so out of sorts, haven't even started on the cocaine yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

1-0 to the Arsenal of about 30 years...Bloody effective though but wouldn’t pay 5 Euros to watch him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

guess Mcgregor will come out of retirement since Khabib isn't fighting anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Now that he has retired you might see all manner of people chancing their arm in that division, maybe even some people coming out of retirement to chance their arm....

• Advertisement

I think McGregor is the only fighter at 155 that can potentially cause him problems.

Nobody else stands a chance. And even McGregors chance would be slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The fact he was outstriking Justin, he could shoot whenever but he doesn't even have to worry about anything in there whereas the opener always has to be weary of the takedown. Justin was hurt and wrecked before the TD so he was done. Just unreal performance.

Three tony fight night be tempting but at this stage, o don't give Tony a chance even i would have favoured him before. He won't go up a weight and now with this promise, he won't be back.

Goddamn he's an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Was Justin panicky the first round throwing haymakers. Khabib is class

walshb wrote: »
    I really enjoyed his intensity and commitment tonight..

I really enjoyed the pressure he put on his opponent from them opening bell, controlled the center of the cage with his jab and had Justin moving backwards the entire fight.

But his transition to mount both rounds was phenomenal. The transition from head and arm triangle to mounted triangle attempted to armbar setup and back to the triangle was grappling at a level that only a handful of people on earth, most of them BJJ world champions, are capable of.

I think McGregor is the only fighter at 155 that can potentially cause him problems.

Nobody else stands a chance. And even McGregors chance would be slim.

He mauled Conor and dropped him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Now that he has retired you might see all manner of people chancing their arm in that division, maybe even some people coming out of retirement to chance their arm....

conor will be making a comeback at 155
    I'll put money on that now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Very impressive win.

A busted McGregor gave him more of a fight than any of his recent opponents.

I love watching him. every round starts on the feet. He's so calm in the chaos. Fighting mcgregor and gaethje isn't easy ....they are mad *****. He just gets it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

It seems whatever gameplan justin or anyone else has just goes out the window as soon as khabib comes at them
    There's no way to beat him unless you're as good as wrestler as him and mentally he's bulletproof too

• Advertisement

There's nobody at LW make an interesting fight. Was taking the piss earlier about mma retirements - I genuinely think he's done.

Could only see Usman or GSP (if he's anything left) threatening him and only GSP would be a big enough fight to have a hope of bringing him back. Don't think we'll see him though.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The fact he was outstriking Justin, he could shoot whenever but he doesn't even have to worry about anything in there whereas the opener always has to be weary of the takedown. Justin was hurt and wrecked before the TD so he was done. Just unreal performance.

Three tony fight night be tempting but at this stage, o don't give Tony a chance even i would have favoured him before. He won't go up a weight and now with this promise, he won't be back.

Goddamn he's an animal.

He beat him on the feet like he was a red headed step child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

eagle eye wrote: »
    He's up there but never faced really too class fighters.
    If he'd moved up to welter and won the belt there I'd agree that he's be the goat.

Like he has a huge size advantage at lightweight.

Tripe, Conor, Dustin and Justin are all champions and the cream of the crop.

All tapped out and destroyed.

George, Anderson or Jon never moved up in their prime either.

He mauled Conor and dropped him.

True. But I still think he is the only fighter at 155 that might cause some problems.

There's nobody at LW make an interesting fight. Was taking the piss earlier about mma retirements - I genuinely think he's done.

Could only see Usman or GSP (if he's anything left) threatening him and only GSP would be a big enough fight to have a hope of bringing him back. Sunny think we'll see him though.

I think it was sincere. He wont be back. You don't see him falling out of nightclubs with a slapper on his arm. He isn't in it for the twine.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Tripe, Conor, Dustin and Justin are all champions and the cream of the crop.

All tapped out and destroyed.

George, Anderson or Jon never moved up in their prime either.

100%

No one is that lucky. He put manners on them all. Hes a bad bad man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just non stop pressure, the absolute P4P number 1. Good to see him go out on top as he deserves, nothing left to prove.

Dominance

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Gaetje was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He was blowing after 30 seconds.

Makes you wonder, how good mcgregor actually did against khabib doesn't it

True. But I still think he is the only fighter at 155 that might cause some problems.

But he didn't. Like at all.

Also, contrary to a lot of the "he beat him on the feet" comments I think the stats were something like 24-22 in Khabib's favour in the first round, but Gaethje landed the best shots. A couple of huge lefts landed but khabib walked through the them.

Disagree that Gaethje was ****ed. Sure he looks like that in every single fight, albeit that was surely the most pressure he's ever been under.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Very impressive win.

A busted McGregor gave him more of a fight than any of his recent opponents.

Well Al Iaquinta took him the distance a few months before that fight so no he didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement