Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machida Vs. Couture in April!

Options
  • 03-01-2011 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

This should be an interesting one! I can't wait to see this fight!

Linky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

This should be an interesting one! I can't wait to see this fight!

Linky

In fairness nothing in that article says Machida is fighting Couture in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

Randy's twitter says otherwise then...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw this this morning, sounds like a complete joke! Machida needs to be working his way back up to a title shot. Proves nothing if he beats Randy. Very strange matchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Randy's getting knocked out in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Randy pushed to get this match-up definately, he said recently he would only be interested in fighting again if it was Machida or Shogun.

If this happens then Randy will prob get destroyed, we saw what Brandon Vera did to him with kicks and if Lyoto wants to put the pressure on early he should win within a round tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Has Machida fought a decent wrestler yet?
    Edit: Rashad i guess

Also Machida has basically lost 3 fights in a row if you count the first Shogun match a loss.

I love both fighters.

Will stay up late to watch this one for sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Niall0 wrote: »
    Also Machida has basically lost 3 fights in a row if you count the first Shogun match a loss.

I don't see UFC cutting him if he lost this, that would be very harsh considering both the first Shogun fight and Rampage fight were quite close. I think they would want him to fight in Rio too. It'd be quite a turn around from a year ago though were he was expected to hold onto the title for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

I don't see UFC cutting him if he lost this, that would be very harsh considering both the first Shogun fight and Rampage fight were quite close. I think they would want him to fight in Rio too. It'd be quite a turn around from a year ago though were he was expected to hold onto the title for a long time.
    Ya they wont cut him, hes still a good fighter, a win over Randy would put him in a good place again. You cant count Randy out though hes very good at coming up with gameplans, he might be able to figure out a way to combat the "elusiveness" of Machida.

Ya they wont cut him, hes still a good fighter, a win over Randy would put him in a good place again. You cant count Randy out though hes very good at coming up with gameplans, he might be able to figure out a way to combat the "elusiveness" of Machida.

Leg kicks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Leg kicks. :)

Never been a stellar kickboxer so I doubt it.
    Probably just good head movement and creating angles to avoid Machidas straight punches which working to press him against the cage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I would be of the opinion that if one feels like counting the first Shogun fight as a loss for Machida, one should count the Jackson fight as a win for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Saw this this morning, sounds like a complete joke! Machida needs to be working his way back up to a title shot. Proves nothing if he beats Randy. Very strange matchup.

If he beats Randy then he's beaten a star. That counts for a lot

It's like when Rashad refused a fight with Randy because he wasn't "ranked" high, completely missing that a fight with Randy puts a lot of spotlight on him and a win over him counts for a lot more in the fans eyes than a win over someone higher in the "rankings" but without that starpower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Randy will just get punished in this and be stopped in the first i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Considering he won the first Shogun match, I don't think it should count as a loss ;)
    If we are going down that route then you could argue he won his last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I love both fighters.

Will stay up late to watch this one for sure. :)

+ 1 on that, very interesting match up. I really like both fighters, Couture is one of my favourite fighters, I'd love to see him do well in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I hate this match up! I can't see how Randy wins!

Although i thought that when he fought Liddell first time... and Belfort.....and Sylvia..... and Gonzaga.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

he puts pressure on machida, holds him aginst the cage, roughs him up, puts him on his back, roughs him up, repeat for 15 minutes. Stylistically best matchup for Randy in the 205 top 10, assuming Machida is top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dunkamania wrote: »
    he puts pressure on machida, holds him aginst the cage, roughs him up, puts him on his back, roughs him up, repeat for 15 minutes. Stylistically best matchup for Randy in the 205 top 10, assuming Machida is top 10

To consider machida outside the Top 10 would be ludicrous IMO!

I would beg to differ, Brandon Vera destroyed Randy with kicks and I don't see how Randy would get close enough to Machida to grapple him, he would just get countered everytime with kicks and punches. If Lyoto wanted to be uncharacteristically aggressive early on he could finish Randy in the first tbf.

Alot of people would love for Randy to win but the realism of the situation is that his chances of winning are very slim imo.

• Advertisement

I gave the Vera vs Randy fight to vera, but i wouldn't say destroyed. Vera's kicks are better than Machidas imo. I am not saying Randy is favorite here, just that its one of the better top tier match ups for him. Excluding the toney and Coleman fights, which were never going to be competitive, I cant remember the last time Randy wasnt an underdog going into a fight.

I gave the Vera vs Randy fight to vera, but i wouldn't say destroyed. Vera's kicks are better than Machidas imo. I am not saying Randy is favorite here, just that its one of the better top tier match ups for him. Excluding the toney and Coleman fights, which were never going to be competitive, I cant remember the last time Randy wasnt an underdog going into a fight.

I didn't say he destroyed him in the fight I meant the effects of the kicks were devastating and something he couldn't counter, even dropping Randy with a body kick. Vera was Randy's last 'competitive' fight as such and one which he won only technically (even Randy thought he lost). BTW Randy was favourite for that fight.

It may be the best possible match-up because Randy would struggle to beat anyone in the top 10 imo. I think everyone who has a genuine knowledge of MMA knows that Randy will need to put on a performance greater than anything he has ever produced to beat Machida. Nothing is impossible but Randy to win is as close a call to it as you will see imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

I must be the only one who thinks Randy has a shot in this one! Il let u know anyway as I will be there! Not ****in missing this one for the world, Rogers Centre, 50k people, yes please

Damn you, I will have left Toronto by then.

Advertisement