Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2018, 22:00   #1
mammajamma

America is over for irish/europeans?

Its a broad title, but generally speaking has the allure of the United States just simply worn off Irish people by now (and by extension, most developed nations)

Among younger nieces and nephews, their reaction to the United States is "no, not ever interested in going there". When I think back in time (not too long ago even), the united states was almost like a "must-do" for irish people, even if only for a holiday or a j1 kind of thing.

Not bringing anything about left or right, or republican/democrat into it specifically, is it just simply that the United States is such a divided and broken place now?

Even discounting the propaganda effect of the 80's and 90's, is it just seen as a washed up place now? Obviously our country has become wealthier over time, but I think theres more to it than that.

Its the impression I get. I spent several years living there, and I can truthfully say I have no desire ever to go back. Not because of one particular government or anything, it just seems like such a hateful place to live now, everyone on top of everyone about every little bloody thing, everythings an "issue" and "problematic".

Imagine the idea of rearing children there, eeesh! Anyone else have the same inkling, especially from younger people? Or completely different point of view?
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:05   #2
Pherekydes

Sheesh, hadn't heard that. Going over next August, for the first time. I hope it's still open...
08-11-2018, 22:08   #3
ToddyDoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post
Its a broad title, but generally speaking has the allure of the United States just simply worn off Irish people by now (and by extension, most developed nations)
Absolutely not in the slightest, in my opinion.

While people may not be travelling there to live like they once did, perhaps, there is no doubt in my mind that, like it or not, American culture / technology / imagination is more prevalent than it ever was.
08-11-2018, 22:08   #4
Frank O. Pinion

More important than most other things, causal sex in America is much better than in Ireland. Worth a visit for that alone.
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:08   #5
Agricola

If you were fairly well off, living on the west coast, nice climate, house, car, insulated from the Hunger Games type society they have there, it would be a good life. Would I go there with nothing but the American Dream™? Not a hope.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:11   #6
Atlantic Dawn

Tell that to the clowns watching The Kardashians and putting on Beverly Hills 90210 accents when they are actually from the posh part of Tallaght.
08-11-2018, 22:13   #7
Grandeeod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post

Among younger nieces and nephews, their reaction to the United States is "no, not ever interested in going there". When I think back in time (not too long ago even), the united states was almost like a "must-do" for irish people, even if only for a holiday or a j1 kind of thing.

Not bringing anything about left or right, or republican/democrat into it specifically, is it just simply that the United States is such a divided and broken place now?

Even discounting the propaganda effect of the 80's and 90's, is it just seen as a washed up place now? Obviously our country has become wealthier over time, but I think theres more to it than that.

Its the impression I get. I spent several years living there, and I can truthfully say I have no desire ever to go back. Not because of one particular government or anything, it just seems like such a hateful place to live now, everyone on top of everyone about every little bloody thing, everythings an "issue" and "problematic".

Imagine the idea of rearing children there, eeesh! Anyone else have the same inkling, especially from younger people? Or completely different point of view?
Well now, judging by this little forum in the scheme of things, the bolded bit is just like little old Ireland right now.
(3) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:21   #8
Assetbacked

US is an example of unrestrained capitalism where morals are putrid, the people are self-absorbed and narcissistic beyond belief, inequality is astounding, racism is epidemic, intelligence is low on a wide scale and the beacon of depravity is lit bright.

The greatest threat to world peace and should not be pandered to by our spineless, idiot politicians.
08-11-2018, 22:24   #9
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeeod View Post
Well now, judging by this little forum in the scheme of things, the bolded bit is just like little old Ireland right now.
I get pissed off with a lot of American culture, especially having had to live in it for years. So its one of those semi-ironic things.

I cant think of anything worse than Ireland becoming like America. American society is kicking up a ruckus BECAUSE of the problems it has allowed develop.

The way I see it, its better to kick up a ruckus here BEFORE we have those same divisive problems. Ireland is always following the American lead in society, and its a disaster in the making. Theres still time to learn lessons from others mistakes.

Some people, however, just cant see problems until they have already deeply rooted themselves. Its kind of maddening.

But back on point, I still think the United States has fallen off a cliff in attraction for younger people here.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 22:26   #10
wakka12

Its not all that bad. Most americans are just good people trying to make the best life they can for their family, just like most countries. Its still a very popular place for irish to visit, most people I know went travelling all along the west coast of the US last summer (im in college)
08-11-2018, 22:27   #11
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
US is an example of unrestrained capitalism where morals are putrid, the people are self-absorbed and narcissistic beyond belief, inequality is astounding, racism is epidemic, intelligence is low on a wide scale and the beacon of depravity is lit bright.

The greatest threat to world peace and should not be pandered to by our spineless, idiot politicians.
Its lost control of itself, and I just don't see any reasonable way its going to get back on track. Extreme ways, maybe.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 22:32   #12
ceadaoin.

In reality, "on the ground", everything is the same as ever. People say hello to each other, help people out and get along just fine for the most part. Yes, it seems that hateful opinions and incidents are on the rise but the vast vast majority of people are just normal folk going about their lives with no chips on their shoulders. I find people here way friendlier and open than in Ireland tbh.

The US still has a lot more to offer people than many other countries in the world and that isn't going to change anytime soon
08-11-2018, 22:35   #13
Noveight

If I remember correctly Louis Theroux did an insightful documentary on how half the population are medicated up to their eyeballs.

Kinda takes the shine off the American Dream but it's still somewhere I'll visit in time.
08-11-2018, 22:35   #14
Grandeeod

Apologies folks. I really thought my bolded quote up thread was tuning in to the anti dole gang that frequent here.

Quote:
it just seems like such a hateful place to live now, everyone on top of everyone about every little bloody thing, everythings an "issue" and "problematic.
Obviously having a night off and missing the comparison.
08-11-2018, 22:36   #15
Mountainsandh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Its not all that bad. Most americans are just good people trying to make the best life they can for their family, just like most countries. Its still a very popular place for irish to visit, most people I know went travelling all along the west coast of the US last summer (im in college)
I went to the West coast twice, and would love to go back to discover other places there if I could afford it.

There's more to America than all the bad stuff we see and hear about. I've found the people lovely and friendly, I love all the wacky-ness, the scenery, and ... yes... the patriotism (if you just look at the positive sides of it).

I love that they celebrate people being their own eccentric selves.

I know the flip side of all of the above (except for the scenery) is also America's downfall, it's very sad, but so far for me, it's not dampening my enthusiasm as a tourist.

Not sure I'd like my children to go live there though, and don't think I'd like it either.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion