Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-11-2018, 15:50   #1
SafeSurfer

113 Medical Negligence Cases To Cost the State €1.4 Billion

This and an average of €20,000 for whiplash, half a million to somebody for falling off a Luas while Luas surfing. We are all paying for the massive compensation payments, both for actual injury and “emotional” injury through higher costs for every product and service.

The untouchable legal profession remains unreformed and self regulated even after recommendations going back decades and scathing criticism of exorbitant legal costs from the Troika.

I have every sympathy for those who have suffered through accident or medical negligence but I believe a large percentage of compensation moneys paid out are due to excessive legal fees and fraudulent claims.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 15:55   #2
Allinall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSurfer View Post
This and an average of €20,000 for whiplash, half a million to somebody for falling off a Luas while Luas surfing. We are all paying for the massive compensation payments, both for actual injury and “emotional” injury through higher costs for every product and service.

The untouchable legal profession remains unreformed and self regulated even after recommendations going back decades and scathing criticism of exorbitant legal costs from the Troika.

I have every sympathy for those who have suffered through accident or medical negligence but I believe a large percentage of compensation moneys paid out are due to excessive legal fees and fraudulent claims.
That’s an average of €123.9 million per case.

I call bs
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 16:00   #3
kneemos

http://www.thejournal.ie/113-cases-m...Nov2018/?amp=1

3000 cases in all apparently totalling 2.4 billion.
08-11-2018, 16:02   #4
Deebles McBeebles

Half a million for Luas surfing eh? Seems like a valid career choice all of a sudden.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 16:07   #5
suicide_circus

if people don't want to subject themselves to the possibility of human errors, they could just avoid hospitals
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 16:08   #6
SafeSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
if people don't want to subject themselves to the possibility of human errors, they could just avoid hospitals
I suppose if people don’t want to subject themselves to the possibility of stupid comments they could avoid Boards.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 16:31   #7
facehugger99

If you want a good laugh, have a look at the recommded payouts for injuries in the Book of Quantum - https://www.piab.ie/eng/forms-guidel...of-Quantum.pdf

€33,500 for a "minor" sprain to the upper arm.

A moderate fracture to the humerus with full recovery? Here's €64,500.

Did you have an allergic reaction which caused some minor itching to your hand? Here's €14,000 for your troubles.

Next time your wondering why your motor premium is so high you can find all the answers in here.
08-11-2018, 16:40   #8
LirW

I wonder if anyone here ever read up about some medical negligence cases? The stuff is often proper nightmare fuel.

I read for example about a woman who was stitched back together imporperly after birth and the scarring was so bad that she was in constant pain, couldn't be intimate anymore with her partner and the hospital told her off and refused to take any responsibility.
It took years to resolve her case and the payout was a few hundred k, but she first got her injury fixed with that money.

I understand the frustration that people with next to nothing get big payouts bit I feel that the vast majority of medical negligence cases are legit.
08-11-2018, 16:52   #9
YFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allinall View Post
That’s an average of €123.9 million per case.

I call bs
British billion is not used anymore.
Advertisement
08-11-2018, 16:57   #10
Allinall

[quote="YFlyer;108574608"]British billion is not used anymore.[/quote

Used €1,400 Million in calculation

Last edited by Allinall; 08-11-2018 at 17:06.
08-11-2018, 17:01   #11
TallGlass

5k to some lad in prison that went on hunger strike as the prison didn't take him seriously or his complaints seriously. Complaints in prison, keyword. Prison. Not holiday camp. 5k for his distress. More compo than his victim got, I would bet.
08-11-2018, 17:06   #12
Will I Am Not

Not surprising if the reports of the high number of underqualified consultants in our hospitals are true.
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2018, 17:08   #13
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGlass View Post
5k to some lad in prison that went on hunger strike as the prison didn't take him seriously or his complaints seriously. Complaints in prison, keyword. Prison. Not holiday camp. 5k for his distress. More compo than his victim got, I would bet.

Given what happened in Scotland over prison conditions I'm amazed we've not seen a huge number of claims from prisoners here, probably one of the reasons why such short sentances are being handed out in an effort to reduce over crowding and remove people from some of the older blocks that need refurbishment.

We desperately need a new prison yet it's never talked about in the media (AFAIK).
08-11-2018, 17:35   #14
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFlyer View Post
British billion is not used anymore.
A thousand million used to be a billion. Nine zeros.
08-11-2018, 17:36   #15
Samuel T. Cogley

Brit Billion was a million, million. Twelve zeros.

Just waiting for the two zeros jokes about us talking about this.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion