Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitreous opacities/eye floaters?

Options
  • 10-04-2021 7:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

Are they generally ignored by optometrists and opthamologists? I've had them since my teen years (13) and I went to Specsavers to have my sight checked. They said that, short of a vitrectomy or using a YAG laser, there was nothing that could be done.

My eyes are healthy according to the eye doctor and I obviously have no issues with them but it's more to do with the mind. I definitely don't buy the 'everyone has them'. Well not as debilitating as mine. I'm in my 20s and even after asking many friends in school and college, no one sees them in their vision.

Has anyone actually gotten surgery for them?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

They can be caused by trauma, have you had surgery recently or been involved in a car accident or fall etc? I used to notice them more easily while recovering from surgery, or particularly when I was very tired or finding it hard to sleep. Make sure you’re sleeping as well & regularly as possible & they might disappear themselves without needing to endure a surgical procedure to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

vitreouss wrote: »
    Are they generally ignored by optometrists and opthamologists? I've had them since my teen years (13) and I went to Specsavers to have my sight checked. They said that, short of a vitrectomy or using a YAG laser, there was nothing that could be done.

My eyes are healthy according to the eye doctor and I obviously have no issues with them but it's more to do with the mind. I definitely don't buy the 'everyone has them'. Well not as debilitating as mine. I'm in my 20s and even after asking many friends in school and college, no one sees them in their vision.

Has anyone actually gotten surgery for them?

Everyone has floaters but most of us don't notice them except in certain circumstances, e.g. looking at a bright sky or a white wall. People can be bothered by them if they develop new floaters, have particularly big floaters, or it can be a personality trait.

Prominent floaters can be really annoying and disruptive for some people. YAG laser is offered more now but it has some risk attached, particularly for younger people. Vitrectromy (or "floaterectomy") is a highly invasive procedure which is effective but has very significant risks, including blindness and loss of the eye. Floaters tend to break up with time as the vitreous liquefies and settles with gravity.

If you are considering treatment you should see an experienced vitreo-retinal surgeon. Many will not do vitrectomies for floaters alone but a small number are willing. Do not go abroad as if you have any complications it can be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I had vitrectomy surgery for them in the UK 12 years when I was in my 20s, best decision ever, they're completely gone in that eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

If you are overweight and floaters pay attention to amount of sugar you consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Post edited by loughrey on

• Advertisement
Advertisement