Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any chance at all this is a meteorite?

Options
  • 27-03-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

My daughters found it in our park. Not really (if at all) magnetic. Very dense.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Doesn't look like one to me, Looks dull compared to the coin. there is no shine on the outer curst but could be very old and weathered

This may be of help
    https://www.meteorites-for-sale.com/meteorite-identification.html

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Nothing to suggest it is meteoritic. Almost all meteorites attract a magnet.
    I'd guess less than 1 percent don't and those are usually lunar or Martian.

If your daughters are children I'll happily send you one for free so they can get their eye in and keep looking and maybe find Irelands first cold find.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Nothing to suggest it is meteoritic. Almost all meteorites attract a magnet.
    I'd guess less than 1 percent don't and those are usually lunar or Martian.

If your daughters are children I'll happily send you one for free so they can get their eye in and keep looking and maybe find Irelands first cold find.

Yes, they are 8 and 9. That is very nice of you. I’ll send you a PM. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if it was a meteorite....how much would it be worth? if anything?

fryup wrote: »
    if it was a meteorite....how much would it be worth? if anything?

The main thing going for it would be it's rarity as a 'cold' Irish find. There's never been one

there have been 7 falls on the island (possibly 8, I'd need to check) but these have all been observed falling.

so it would be worth quite a few hundred euro even if it was small.

lots of cold finds in America and elsewhere worldwide happen in farmers fields as they dig up the land and frequently incorporate meteorites into their field walls.

I'm always on the hunt

• Advertisement

Yes, they are 8 and 9. That is very nice of you. I’ll send you a PM. Thanks!

its interesting that at their age they suspected this stone as it's not a million miles away superficially from looking right. The shape isnt right and I can see some internal structures that don't look right.

Do please get in touch, I'd be delighted to help.

so it would be worth quite a few hundred euro even if it was small.

and who would i sell it too??

and who would i sell it too??

There's a surprisingly large market there. And there are some meteorite collectors with very deep pockets who would want it. CEO's of global companies

Christies auction house in new york held a meteorite auction last month and the prices realised were astronomical ;-)

I'd get them to sell it for me

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/deep-impact-martian-lunar-other-rare-meteorites/lots/2006

better invest in a metal detector so,

Steve Arnold of Meteorite Men fame made his own metal detector that he dragged behind an ATV and found the 650kg Brenham main mass

https://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2006/February/Meteorite_People.htm

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^

have you ever found one yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I'm suprised to see so many dismiss it because it sure looked like one of those typical stoney NWA meteorites to me. It's appearance looks to have the smooth darkened surface which is caused from friction upon entering the atmosphere and the orangey parts not darkened look the same as what appears on some of mine. I think its where parts of the stone come away upon impact with the ground revealing the non scorched surface underneath. That said there are unquestionably more qualified people than me in here and id be inclined to go along with what MeteoritesEire says on this as he is very knowledgeable. Any chance you can take a few more pics. Flash on and then in natural daylight etc. Just to get a better look at it.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I'm suprised to see so many dismiss it because it sure looked like one of those typical stoney NWA meteorites to me.

where could they go to get it checked thoroughly? is there any geological society around?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

have you ever found one yourself?

thats a negative unfortunately. I might have travelled to Gloucester for that recent one that fell if it wasn't for the travel restrictions.

There's a cleft in this suspected stone that is not meteoritic and those lengthy light coloured internal structures are not chondrules or clasts or Calcium Aluminium Inclusions and it is not attracted to a magnet so it's 99.999999999% not a meteorite.

the .0000000001% chance would be something undiscovered so far in the science of meteoritics.
    I'm not a professional but I have been involved with them for over 20 years and I keep a good eye on the moving science of meteoritics. There's not a whole lot new that happens other than more refining of classification types. Every once in a while a new type will pop up but this is extremely rare.

the finder could open a window into the stone with a file for a closer look but no institution would be very interested .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

thats a negative unfortunately. I might have travelled to Gloucester for that recent one that fell if it wasn't for the travel restrictions.

There's a cleft in this suspected stone that is not meteoritic and those lengthy light coloured internal structures are not chondrules or clasts or Calcium Aluminium Inclusions and it is not attracted to a magnet so it's 99.999999999% not a meteorite.

the .0000000001% chance would be something undiscovered so far in the science of meteoritics.
    I'm not a professional but I have been involved with them for over 20 years and I keep a good eye on the moving science of meteoritics. There's not a whole lot new that happens other than more refining of classification types. Every once in a while a new type will pop up but this is extremely rare.

the finder could open a window into the stone with a file for a closer look but no institution would be very interested .

Very insightful, thanks very much. Great to have someone with such knowledge on the topic in here and your response is as conclusive as it gets. It's such a facinating thing. I'm always on the lookout when i'm out walking but needless to say no luck yet. One of these days I'll find that kuiper belt meteorite on my walk. Or a meteorite from Mercury. Ill settle for either ðŸ˜

A mercurian meteorite was suspected to exist for a short while. NWA 7325

anyone interested in the subject should consult David Weirs excellent website http://www.meteoritestudies.com/protected_MERCURY.HTM

I need to explore this further now that I'm looking at Davids site and following some of his links that I've not seen before.

Advertisement