Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shop Window Glass?

• 02-12-2019 3:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Have a project planned and it'll involve a couple of sheets of Thick glass. Nothing cast in stone, yet. But, anything up to a two by five sheet.

Hella expensive then! Silly money!

Where as; I know the bloke who does most of the refurb's, in the local town. I get the hunch he's soon gonna be ripping Another dead shop front out. Bet that glass'll go in a skip.

But, when I mentioned my beady eyed thoughts to a more switched on lad I know? He said something about that shop window glass not being cutable :confused:

Illogical, Captain. How the hell else do they get glass the right size to fit the windows?

Anyone ....?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

If it's toughened glass, then no it can't be cut. As regards how it's cut to fit, that's done while the glass is still hot (maybe 500°), and then put through the hardening process. Only way to cut it would be anneal it (bring it back up to temperature) cut it and the re-harden it

If there's a glazers anywhere near you, you should be able to get offcuts pretty easy.

I had a piece of hardened glass made to measure (roughly 5' long and 5" wide) and it was twenty or thirty quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

:( Oh .... That's not what I was hoping to hear. So; Do I take it shop window glass will be Toughened, so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Stigura wrote: »
    :( Oh .... That's not what I was hoping to hear. So; Do I take it shop window glass will be Toughened, so?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What's your project involve? Maybe toughened glass is what you need anyway.
    I used these guys for a project I built myself last year: http://www.kellglass.ie/
    I found their prices decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

:) Thanks for that, Effects. Ye may well be onto something too, with me Needing my own, toughened, glass.

Project's an indoor pond, for my snapper turtle. Think; Low slung, brick built box, with windows.

For the turtle? Think of ye worst nightmare, with ridiculous claws and armour plating. Not even half grown yet ~ 8" x 8" shell size. But, yeah; He can Seriously bash against stuff.

I'll have a read of their site and likely ring them, tomorrow. Now that 'free' glass is out the window (Dear god! Did I actually just type that?! :rolleyes:) I'd might as well accept it'll cost me a small fortune. But, better to at least buy the right stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement