Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sander suggestions

• 29-11-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I have a Bamboo work surface in my kitchen that needs to be sanded and resealed every year, I'm looking for a sander that can handle this.
    I also want to do my staircase and smallish hall with the same sander.
    I'm looking for suggestions, hoping to buy today in a black Friday deal.

Can you suggest please. Hoping not to spen more than 60€ if possible.

Was thinking about this https://tinyurl.com/svbe93m

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,107 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You wont sand a hall nor a worktop with a palm sander. They are for finishing small pieces of work or doing edging and fiddly bits.

For large work like this you need a bigger sander orbital round or rectangular.

or a belt sander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Any suggestions for one that would do?

Bosch PEX 220 A Random Orbit Sander https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002KHIN0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wwO4Db5JE4HWE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

As listermint said, I don't think there's one sander that meets your needs.

You're only looking at them for light/occasional use and are price conscious so if I were you I'd be happy to buy cheaper tools and get two cheaper sanders.

Looks like this is in Lidl at the moment and has a couple of different heads - delta and rectangular, though I think a round head would be best for most of what you're doing.

Alternatively this has a bit more power at 350W, which you might appreciate (the lidl one is 200, and the bosch one you linked is 220).

You can get orbital sanders in the more powerful 600-700w range too.

If you got one of the above and a cheap detail sander you'd still be around your budget eg. this, this*, or surprisingly this.

*I like the 3-way symmetrical triangular head on ones like this because you rotate the pads round and have 3 front corners per pad.

For the floor you're probably looking at either renting a floor sander or buying belt sander which start at about the €40 mark. Belt sanders can be handy for other general work too.

In general...I think some types of tools are worth spending money on and some aren't. Things like sanders though there won't be much difference in results and are only worth spending money on more expensive brands if you're going to be using it so much to wear them out (ie. professional use or maybe if your main hobby is woodworking/whatever)

Excellent post, I'm not sure I need the detail one as I'll only ever be doing countertops, wont be detailing as far as I know?
    There are a few countertops and I'll only intend to sand once a year, so saying that, am I best getting the tack one?

I've had bad experiences with Lidl tools so I try to avoid but if you feel its best for my needs then I may try?

I think I'll leave the floor one till later as I dont really intend doing this anyway for a while.

• Advertisement

The problem with sanding worktops is that your pads will get blocked up quickly with whatever you have treated the wood with (especially if the finish is lacquer).
    Best tool for the job is a rotex sander but they are 5/6/700e.
    I had a loan of one to do a kitchen table and it was still a bastard of a job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Bosch PEX 220 A Random Orbit Sander https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002KHIN0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wwO4Db5JE4HWE?

I have this sander and I would say it's ideal for your counter tops and hallway.

I bought it to redo a small parquet flooring hallway. The hallway was in a pretty bad condition with years of thick varnish all over it and this took it all back to bare wood and left a really smooth finish, a few coats of oil wax and it looks fantastic!

Just take your time and progress down through the sandpaper grits gradually and it'll work great!

FYI, I hear this product https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CITLC1C/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=therestcoup-21&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00CITLC1C&linkId=327750660d5bd362de2b236cfb70f243 is fantastic for Worktops and will last at least a couple of years.

Quick Q:

What grit sanding disk should I be using on the counter top? It's Bamboo.
    I have 60, 80, 120, 240.

TIA

Start with 120 finish up with 240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve used a drill attachment for this, made a nice job of it.

• Advertisement

My counter-top was quite stained as first job wasn't oiled correctly so I ended up having to use a 60 to get the crap off it.
    Sander works well the man the amount of dust!

I'm not looking for a new oil for the counter-top. I was thinking of getting Danish oil and I also have linseed oil at home.
    Are there any other options for me apart from the above as I don't have time to wait to order that, I need this weekend.

My counter-top was quite stained as first job wasn't oiled correctly so I ended up having to use a 60 to get the crap off it.
    Sander works well the man the amount of dust!

I'm not looking for a new oil for the counter-top. I was thinking of getting Danish oil and I also have linseed oil at home.
    Are there any other options for me apart from the above as I don't have time to wait to order that, I need this weekend.

Don't use Danish oil or linseed oil on a kitchen counter. No no no.

You need butcher block oil . Look up chopping board oil on eBay. You can get 5 litres for very little money it will last you years. You can too up the counters once a year or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Personally, I would rate Tung Oil over Mineral Oil. I found Mineral Oil to be rather weak and needs applying far more often, hence why it’s cheap.

I ended up getting Rustins Worktop Oil from Woodies. Seems to do the job.

Advertisement