Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any grime/UK rap fans?

Options
  • 10-10-2015 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering is there any UK grime fans.
    There seems to be a resurgence in the scene slightly again. I was a big fan when it was in its infancy in mid 00's but still keep an eye on the scene.

UK hip hop is slowly finally getting noticed in the usa with krept and konan working with wiz khalifa and skepta with drake but to name two.

Any other UK fans?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

It definitely went to **** for a while when most of the grime scene started making pop crossovers to blow up. Thankfully it's back on track now though, the next crop of young guys coming up are making some of the best stuff I've ever heard, I guess that's the advantage of growing up on grime.

Novelist is probably the best out imo, himself & Mumdance are a perfect combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mcbumhole

Yeah I love a bit of grime, not so much the UK rap. Stormzy is really good and love Trim. Some of the instrumental grime thats coming out is brilliant too, bit of Irish interest with Shriekin and Glacial Sound doing well.
    I love some of the USA grime thats coming out too like the Starkey stuff and pretty much anything on the Slit Jockey label

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Hi just wondering is there any UK grime fans.
    There seems to be a resurgence in the scene slightly again. I was a big fan when it was in its infancy in mid 00's but still keep an eye on the scene.

UK hip hop is slowly finally getting noticed in the usa with krept and konan working with wiz khalifa and skepta with drake but to name two.

Any other UK fans?
    nor so much into grime ,
    but uk rap yep ,
    stig of the dump
    Edward Scissortongue
    verb t
    verbal skills
    fliptix
    basically any of the High focus record fam and globalfiction fam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

In terms of UK hip hop I always liked Jehst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Love my Grime, love my UK Hip Hop, and love my Road rap stuff too, this whole set has been on my phone for years now:

• Advertisement

What did you make of Logan Sama's Fabric cd Steve? I thought it was one of the best Fabric's they've ever released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

See Mark B died today :( Saw him and Blade support Rahzel years ago in the Redbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OooJvLR4j2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zj2UOSQYw

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Love a bit of old skool grime, anything produced by Waifer or Kamikaze back in the day still gets serious play

Cant' forget JME, either:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Just recently got into Grime having avoided it for years, anybody got any recommendations apart from the usual Stormzy, Wiley, Skepta, Jme etc?

• Advertisement

New Stormzy, Mans got class

Did a mix this evening, all grime, well threw in a classic dubstep track at the end.
    Its all pretty much new stuff, well new as in the past year but a couple of tracks on there that are only recently out.

https://www.mixcloud.com/gavin35/grime-mix-050816/

Let me know what you think

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ransom FA from Scotland has grabbed my attention

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

D Double E and President T are two of my favourites personally
    Loving the stuff Bugzy Malone has made recently and Chip.
    Made in the Manor a fantastic album Konnichwa was meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was Skepta's newest album any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

callaway92 wrote: »
    Was Skepta's newest album any good?

There was some Very good songs on it Like Detox and Thats not me but its very hit and miss from me theres also some american influence with songs like Ladies Hit Squad that didnt sound great to me personally.

Threw together a mix this evening of loads of Road Rap and grime stuff that I've been listening to lately. If anyone wants a download to it let me know :thumbup:

Road_Rap_Mix_25_09_16.jpg

https://www.mixcloud.com/gavin35/road-rap-grime-mix-250916/

Threw ladies hit squad on at the end for you Menelaun :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

https://youtu.be/XGdfBg81EZk

Dizze rascal on us radio show freestyling very good he is on his own level in my opinion just wish he would drop more grittier stuff song wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Dizzee did a couple of Dirtee TV mixtapes a few years ago that are worth checking out if you want to hear him do more gritty traditional tracks. Flew under the radar a bit so I presume that's why he sticks mostly to the chart stuff.

Anyone listen to Stormzys new album, Gang Signs & Prayers? Enjoying it so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

Are there any dedicated grime nights on around town? To be fair I'm too old to be going out now, but if I was gonna go out for anything it would be for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Anyone listen to Stormzys new album, Gang Signs & Prayers? Enjoying it so far

i was disappointed tbh . too many meh songs , especially considering he's comfortably the best lyricist in grime atm and that big for your boots was an absolute banger . it is worth a listen tho

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

kmfrob wrote: »
    Are there any dedicated grime nights on around town? To be fair I'm too old to be going out now, but if I was gonna go out for anything it would be for this.

I think you just missed one over last weekend. Check out District Magazines web site, they are the ones that appear to be all over grime in Ireland.

Ain't listened to the new Stormzy record yet, but looking forward to it, I hear it's like 2 albums, or 2 different sounding albums merged together. I like that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

UK Rap has been ignored for many years which is a pity.

From the early days... Check out London Posse and even earlier Derek B (the bad young brother).

Good article on the present rap scene : https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/09/why-doesnt-everyone-rap-in-scouse-how-british-hip-hop-broke-free-of-london

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Check out The Four Owls... I only just found out about them.. quality

I would also like to know this. Would like to get involved in djing at a grime night if someone can point me in the right direction.

Listened to Stormzy's album and was really disappointed, I was hoping for a straight up grime album like Skepta's one or P Money. Both belters, there is so many amazing grime producers at the moment and no shortage of amazing lyricists

Anyone into road rap or UK drill like 67 (probably my album of last year) and Section Boyz album was amazing too. So was Giggs' album Landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

I haven't developed an ear for drill yet. Lock 'Arf was alright, but I can't help but feel like I'm listening to a slightly grittier version of Blazin' Squad whenever I listen to 67 or Section Boyz.

As for Stormzys album, I'm sure I read an interview with him recently where he was talking about how he had to be convinced by the producer into creating a broader sound. I think there's still a lingering doubt with some producers and record companies that a full-scale grime album can't work. And to be fair they are probably right. The only out and out success from start to finish in terms of pure grime albums is Boy in the Corner and that's already 14 years old.

I haven't developed an ear for drill yet. Lock 'Arf was alright, but I can't help but feel like I'm listening to a slightly grittier version of Blazin' Squad whenever I listen to 67 or Section Boyz.

As for Stormzys album, I'm sure I read an interview with him recently where he was talking about how he had to be convinced by the producer into creating a broader sound. I think there's still a lingering doubt with some producers and record companies that a full-scale grime album can't work. And to be fair they are probably right. The only out and out success from start to finish in terms of pure grime albums is Boy in the Corner and that's already 14 years old.
    Yeah thats fair enough, if you want to be popular well then release a crossover album like that. I must give it another listen to see if it grows on you. The proper grime tracks on it were brilliant

• Advertisement

Just saw 67 added to Forbidden Fruit lineup. THats my ticket bought anyway. Their shows keep getting shut down by the police in London so seeing them live will be a collectors item:)

Advertisement