Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Einhell 5" / 127mm Chop Saws ....?

Options
  • 03-12-2019 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Have they ever existed?

Reason I ask is; I saw a little, red chop saw in town. Curious, I grabbed a tape and measured the slot in the plate. 5". So, I said to the lad; " Have they just got a five inch blade then? ". He said they had.

I thought that was pretty useless and, at about the €60 mark, I walked away. I'm pretty sure I remembered the name was Einhell. The saw. Not the lad.

Then, during the week, it occurred to me that I actually have just the job for such a dinky little saw! Went back, next week. Gone! Transpires the bloody things cleared out in Two Days!!!

I've hunted through google till my finger tips are raw. I can't find Any 5" / 127mm chop / mitre saws :confused:

Could this be something they've stopped making. Matey got a job lot. Flogged the lot like hot cakes?

I'm mystified.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I bought this plunge saw in Lidl a few years ago for €60 to help lift tongue and groove sheet flooring. Useful for cutting cement board and magnesium board along with pretty much most sheet material. Could do with a new blade or ideally get the existing one sharpened but not very economical.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/PARKSIDE-500W-PLUNGE-SAW-220-240W-SPINDLE-LOCK-UK-PLUG/323793728848?hash=item4b639c3550:g:qGYAAOSwjlBcyH~D

Einhell do similar so presume it was something like this you stopped in your travels:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Einhell-EINTCCS8602K-TC-CS-860-2-Mini-Circular-Saw-Kit-450-Watt-240-Volt/401473997825?hash=item5d79b70c01:g:DbkAAOSwkNpaVcf4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thanks, but, no; This wasn't any form of plunge saw. It was, quite literally, a dinky little version of what comes up if one googles chop / mitre saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Had a quick look there myself, didn't find anything

To be honest, though, I think you'd end up being frustrated with a chop saw that size. There'd be so much stuff you couldn't cut. I bought the saw below in Lidl, along with a folding stand, and it's great. You can cut smaller stuff on it, but you're not limited if you need to cut bigger pieces. It was cheaper that the list price in the ad, too.

I know you don't have a Lidl or Aldi close by, but most DIY stores will sell a similar saw and a similar price point, or you could always buy online and have it delivered

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/153740826553?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F5282-53468-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D2%26pub%3D5575403537%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5338343602%26item%3D153740826553%26customid%3Dvms%253Aeb%253Ap%253A153740826553%253BCjwKCAiArJjvBRACEiwA-WiqqyzszVuF6jdCRw8_MADvnK1vRPcgLKysLI-f_eWNZtY3f-pn5B6PYBoCSWYQAvD_BwE%26gclid%3DCjwKCAiArJjvBRACEiwA-WiqqyzszVuF6jdCRw8_MADvnK1vRPcgLKysLI-f_eWNZtY3f-pn5B6PYBoCSWYQAvD_BwE%26srcrot%3D5282-53468-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D2207379065717%26rvr_ts%3Dce1a2b8616e0a4cc5456bdceffe19b39&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Damnit, Cletus! Now look what ye've gone and made me do! :rolleyes: (Alright; It was the green. That just tipped it over)

Chopetn.jpg

Fair play though. I'd been trying to get myself to splash out on a chop for some time now. I Knew I needed a lot more than a little, five inch blade. They were just So cute, and would have been great fun to nip my kindling up on.

Now, This thing? I can do that. But, also slice through the 9" boards I use for me starling boxes. Face it; I'd have ended up buying Two damn saws! :o

Now; That thing Calahonda52 is showing us is To Die For!!! But, bloody hell! The Price!

Any tools I get now will only see light use. And, no one's paying me for what I do with them. I just get them to make my life easier ~ and safer. Not much change out of three ton? I simply can't justify that. Let alone afford it. Tis drool making though!

• Advertisement

Just take the time to set it up properly for accurate cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The issue with this stuff is the level of accuracy you need.
    You don't get what you don't pay for.
    I had an electrobeckum compound mitre saw, that once set up, was 100% accurate for mitres even when cutting the full width.
    I now have an el cheepo, which just has too much play: it does for cutting rough timber for garden projects.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

In fairness, I have the lidl saw above, and if set up right it's pretty accurate. I'd say it's as good as the DeWalt compound slide saw I've used in the woodwork room in school

It's in my kitchen! It nearly broke my back, getting it there! It's massive!

Busy evening ahead of me. Gonna need to take stock though. How the Hell is this thing gonna fit on my work top ~ and still be able to stick a meaningful bit of plank into it?!

Delighted to say though; It looks 'put together'? Like, the Angle Grinder Holder I bought took me all night to even get together, roughly right. Nightmare, for one bloke alone! This thing looks ~ from a quick glance inside the massive box ~ like I could dump it on my work top and have my arm off in seconds!

Nice green too :)

Might just have to bite the bullet and look into one of these stands everyone's so het up about. Maybe, then, I could even cart it all down to the stables and use it there? Never imagined it'd be this big.

Stigura wrote: »
    It's in my kitchen! It nearly broke my back, getting it there! It's massive!

Busy evening ahead of me. Gonna need to take stock though. How the Hell is this thing gonna fit on my work top ~ and still be able to stick a meaningful bit of plank into it?!

Delighted to say though; It looks 'put together'? Like, the Angle Grinder Holder I bought took me all night to even get together, roughly right. Nightmare, for one bloke alone! This thing looks ~ from a quick glance inside the massive box ~ like I could dump it on my work top and have my arm off in seconds!

Nice green too :)

Might just have to bite the bullet and look into one of these stands everyone's so het up about. Maybe, then, I could even cart it all down to the stables and use it there? Never imagined it'd be this big.

The stand is the canine's testicles, to be fair.

If your looking to make any way accurate cuts, you'll want to set up the fence before you start using it. Loads of videos on YouTube showing the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Einhell make Parkside stuff for Lidl.

The stand is essential with that saw (IMO) there are tonnes of places selling the same stand under different names. What’s handy about it is it has height adjustable rollers so whatever you’re cutting will be level, plus you can use the roller as a length stop if you’re cutting lots of the same thing. You’ll pay between around €55 and €90 for the same stand depending on what colour it’s painted.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/evolution-800b-mitre-saw-stand-with-extension-arms/48911?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAob3vBRAUEiwAIbs5Tr2bO9hc9DWE0QUYTYBRS8mFAEF-12gpBWj3c6YDzpBm_VeabEEh4RoC2dsQAvD_BwE

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-mitre-saw-stand/p/082603197606200

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/parkside-universal-saw-stand-tool-stand-1999-instore-at-lidl-gloucester-3202494

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-mitre-saw-stand-mmst150/3663602628224_BQ.prd

I've since unboxed it and staggered into my work room with it. Now, I'm resting my back and am still in mild shock over the sheer weight and size of this thing!

(Alright; I've never actually Seen one, in the steel, before my eyes. Only ever saw photo's on the internet. Not even a human to add scale)

Cletus; Everyone and his Dog seems to carry on about these stands like pre teens about boy bands. Now I have this monstrosity hanging over my work bench? I can see why!

How could anyone have one of these things Without a dedicated stand? Ye'd need a f***ing warehouse! :eek:

Definitely going down the stables. I'd get a hernia, trying to lug it into my kitchen, every time.

Where do we get these stands, please?

Screwfix in Sandyford or Swords

Cheers, Colm. I'm the unmotorised hermit of Leitrim though. This one?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/evolution-800b-mitre-saw-stand-with-extension-arms/48911

They’ll even deliver to places like Leitrim.

For free.

I like Screwfix. Had stuff off them before. Free delivery though needs an order of €75.00, or what ever. But, that's not a problem. I just get Pat in here and we gloat over tools. Then, he feels the need for something.

If nothing else; I could easily make the order up by buying clamps! :D

Its free delivery on orders over €50. They’re €58.95 :confused:

Just to say (gloat, really) I got mine in Lidl, last on the rack, reduced to twenty quid.

No benefit to you, just like telling people :D

Swine! :D

cletus wrote: »
    Just to say (gloat, really) I got mine in Lidl, last on the rack, reduced to twenty quid.

No benefit to you, just like telling people :D

That in the Black Friday thing on Childers rd? Got a few bargains there myself!

• Advertisement

I'm gonna have to change my sig, haven't lived in Limerick in over a decade :D

Actually, picked it up during the summer, had just bought the saw, and kept humming and hawing about the stand every time I went in. Finally saw the last one reduced to clear.

Same thing with the pillar drills they do, saw last one to clear, thirty quid I think

Advertisement