Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extractor fan for ensuite - existing wall vent

• 27-11-2019 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The ensuite off the master bedroom is really bad for retaining moisture after a shower. I could have a shower at 8pm and and 8am there's still condensation on the walls. I am going to have an extractor fan put in and I was recommended this one before: https://fans4less.co.uk/products/vortice-4-5-6-8-10-12-inline-duct-extractor-bathroom-shower-fan-upto-1100m3-hr

It's probably overkill but it's a decent price on Amazon at the moment and I know it'll do the trick! There is an existing wall vent to outside in the room already but at some point in the past it was plastered over. I was thinking it would be an easy job to just punch through the plaster and put this into the existing vent.

The question I have is are these kind of fans suitable for wall installation? Any I've ever seen in the past are ceiling mounted, and this will be possible if necessary but obviously comes with extra cost in terms of ducting through the attic and venting to outside.

Some advice on this would be much appreciated. I'd much rather go with an option that can use the existing wall vent if possible. An electrician will be doing the wiring for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These are an inline fan. They will need to fit inside the gap or ducting in your wall so measurements of them will be key.

They also require new ducting to be fitted to the inlet and the outlet to operate.

Chances of this unit fitting into your wall and next to none.

Also that's expensive you'll get a brand one from manrose new on eBay for half that or less. with equal volume throughput

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks Listermint in that case I won't bother with this one or an inline. I was recommended the EnviroVent Silent 100T as a decent wall mounted alternative so I've ordered that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I had an en suite bathroom extractor with a gravity flap on the outside which served no purpose other than to make a horrible flapping nose with the slightest breeze. The bathroom was an icebox in Winter. I bought an in-line spring loaded back draught preventing flap that didnt work even with an extra spring added. The pressure differential inside the house held it open even when the fan was off rendering it useless.

Best ventilation related purchase I ever made was an Icon Iris Fan bought off Amazon. Fan comes on, Iris opens, fan goes off, Iris closes. Bathroom no longer an icebox in Winter, not losing heat through a 100mm wide hole in the wall, even the gravity flap on the outside only rattles in a gale now because the Iris seal on the fan means the air inside the duct has nowhere to go and the back pressure keeps the plastic gravity flaps from smacking hard against each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Airflow in the room will be dictated by any other air sources in the room. For example if there is no or minimal gap under the door then any fan will not perform.

You need positive pressure to extract properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Calibos wrote: »
    I had an en suite bathroom extractor with a gravity flap on the outside which served no purpose other than to make a horrible flapping nose with the slightest breeze. The bathroom was an icebox in Winter. I bought an in-line spring loaded back draught preventing flap that didnt work even with an extra spring added. The pressure differential inside the house held it open even when the fan was off rendering it useless.

Best ventilation related purchase I ever made was an Icon Iris Fan bought off Amazon. Fan comes on, Iris opens, fan goes off, Iris closes. Bathroom no longer an icebox in Winter, not losing heat through a 100mm wide hole in the wall, even the gravity flap on the outside only rattles in a gale now because the Iris seal on the fan means the air inside the duct has nowhere to go and the back pressure keeps the plastic gravity flaps from smacking hard against each other.

Could you link to the fan you bought please. Have exact same problem with flapping vent and freezing bathroom. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Could you link to the fan you bought please. Have exact same problem with flapping vent and freezing bathroom. Thanks.

I bought the Icon Eco 15 100mm IIRC.

Amazon Links

The 30 is the more powerful version for larger bathrooms or kitchens afaik.

I bought the bare bones one because I knew I could just swap the timer module from my old fan into this one but you can get several different types of Modules for them, some quite expensive. Timer, Timer+Humidistat, Timer+ Motion Detection, Timer+Motion Detection+Humidistat etc I didn't go for the humidistat versions either, because I hear they no matter who makes the fan, can be a pain to tweak. Set it too sensitive and a toilet flush or the wife breathing in there for an hour putting on her makeup :D will set it off, don't set it sensitive enough and a shower won't trigger it. I will be picking up a PIR/Motion Detection module for my own and the one I fit in my brothers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Calibos wrote: »
    I bought the Icon Eco 15 100mm IIRC.

Amazon Links

The 30 is the more powerful version for larger bathrooms or kitchens afaik.

I bought the bare bones one because I knew I could just swap the timer module from my old fan into this one but you can get several different types of Modules for them, some quite expensive. Timer, Timer+Humidistat, Timer+ Motion Detection, Timer+Motion Detection+Humidistat etc I didn't go for the humidistat versions either, because I hear they no matter who makes the fan, can be a pain to tweak. Set it too sensitive and a toilet flush or the wife breathing in there for an hour putting on her makeup :D will set it off, don't set it sensitive enough and a shower won't trigger it. I will be picking up a PIR/Motion Detection module for my own and the one I fit in my brothers though.

Many Thanks! Can finally fix that flapper from giving me a round of applause every time I use the loo :D

Advertisement