Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who created the 26 counties?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Those in Scotland and Wales (devolved governments with a constitutional monarch) could put those names on stamps along with the monarch's head if they were allowed to do so.
    My point from the outset has been that a letter addressed to
    John Smith,
    Main Street,
    Newtown,
    Co Cork.
    EIRE

has the same linguistic error as a letter addressed to

John Smith,
    Main Street,
    Swansea,
    CYMRU

Quite agree.
    This should become a thread about the postal service - long overdue!
    The point of my previous post is that my mail gets to it's destination, even if incorrectly addressed.
    I use Play.com to send cds to my brother in Cork and that's addressed "Ireland" - over 250 so far - they all arrived - well done An Post.
    This really should be a thread about the post office.
    Why do I write "Eire" on my letters? Don't know, really - always have done - mail sent to me from people in Ireland is addressed "England", (why not?, that's where I am!)
    Perhaps it should be "UK".
    Doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

indioblack wrote: »
    Quite agree.
    This should become a thread about the postal service - long overdue!

Well effing start one then!!

Mods - any chance of splitting this thread, it is seriously off topic.

MadsL wrote: »
    Well effing start one then!!

Mods - any chance of splitting this thread, it is seriously off topic.

Ouch!
    No wish to be part of any derailment.
    Who was responsible for the creation of a 26 county state?
    Finally, it would be the people who signed the Treaty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

indioblack wrote: »
    Ouch!
    No wish to be part of any derailment.
    Who was responsible for the creation of a 26 county state?
    Finally, it would be the people who signed the Treaty.

How can you say that if the government of ireland act partitioned the country prior to the signing of the treaty?

paky wrote: »
    How can you say that if the government of ireland act partitioned the country prior to the signing of the treaty?
    But surely the Treaty confirmed this partition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Is that the same postal service that writes "Eire" on its stamps?

I don't see our nationalistically-minded anti-Irish British friends addressing letters in English to 'Helvetia' , to take one of many examples, based on the grounds that the Swiss have Helvetia written on their stamps. In English, it's Italy, not Italia, it's Germany not Deutschland. And so on ad infinitum. It is only bigotry which breaks English language convention when it comes to Éire/Ireland.

Anyway, carry on Fratton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Is that the same postal service that writes "Eire" on its stamps?
    I don't see our nationalistically-minded anti-Irish British friends addressing letters in English to 'Helvetia' , to take one of many examples, based on the grounds that the Swiss have Helvetia written on their stamps. In English, it's Italy, not Italia, it's Germany not Deutschland. And so on ad infinitum. It is only bigotry which breaks English language convention when it comes to Éire/Ireland. Anyway, carry on Fratton.

So writing Eire on a letter is a sign of English anti Irish bigotry?

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

By the way, as you are so keen to avoid any confusion, maybe you should correct this post and the several others you made where you refer to "The Malvinas". It is "The Falklands in English" or "Las Malvinas in Spanish".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Paky. perhaps you are a tad obsessed about the British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

By the way, as you are so keen to avoid any confusion, maybe you should correct this post and the several others you made where you refer to "The Malvinas". It is "The Falklands in English" or "Las Malvinas in Spanish".

Anyone I ever knew in Britain who used "Eire", used it because they would not call the Republic of Ireland by that name and always used it in a derogatory tone, interchangable with the description "Southern Ireland", as if it wasn't a real country. So yes, calling the Republic "Eire" or "Southern Ireland" is deemed to be an insult, just as calling it "The Free State" is also meant to be derogatory.

Anyone I ever knew in Britain who used "Eire", used it because they would not call the Republic of Ireland by that name and always used it in a derogatory tone, interchangable with the description "Southern Ireland", as if it wasn't a real country. So yes, calling the Republic "Eire" or "Southern Ireland" is deemed to be an insult, just as calling it "The Free State" is also meant to be derogatory.

Anyone I've ever known in Britain who calls it Eire does so because it is in fairly common use and easier then writing Republic of Ireland.

The same reason Eire was written in big letters around the cost so allied pilots knew where they were in wwii.

Why would someone in Britain use it in a derogatory manner? Unlike people using the Malvinas which is done purely for the sake of trolling.

• Advertisement

Anyone I've ever known in Britain who calls it Eire does so because it is in fairly common use and easier then writing Republic of Ireland.

The same reason Eire was written in big letters around the cost so allied pilots knew where they were in wwii.

Why would someone in Britain use it in a derogatory manner? Unlike people using the Malvinas which is done purely for the sake of trolling.

Fred, it is entirely because no-one, but no-one here in Ireland or any Irish people abroad calls the country "Éire" except for the incredibly rare exception of those speaking in Irish. Stamps and coins prove nothing, the excellent example was given earlier of "Helvetia" for Switzerland. Calling the place "Ireland" is easy. And accurate. Unless someone wants to prove a point, distinguishing between the North and the Republic is rarely necessary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Can anyone tell me why the BBC calls Ireland 'The Irish Republic' rather than 'The Republic of Ireland'?

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why the BBC calls Ireland 'The Irish Republic' rather than 'The Republic of Ireland'?

I've wondered that, it seems to be a policy thing.

Knowing the BBC it is probably the description that is likely to offend the fewest number of people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

dubhthach wrote: »
    So you believe that the German nation only came into existence in 1871 then?

This would depend on your interpretation of nationalism. And regardless, Germany in particular is quite difficult to pinpoint. Just off the top of my head I can think of 4 important nation-building moments - post Napoleonic occupation, 1871, Anschluss and post-Wall reunification.

Each of these could be more or less argued for regardless of whether you agree with primordialists like Fichte or historicists like Anderson (or even Renan).

Fred, it is entirely because no-one, but no-one here in Ireland or any Irish people abroad calls the country "Éire" except for the incredibly rare exception of those speaking in Irish. Stamps and coins prove nothing, the excellent example was given earlier of "Helvetia" for Switzerland. Calling the place "Ireland" is easy. And accurate. Unless someone wants to prove a point, distinguishing between the North and the Republic is rarely necessary.

when you are adressing an envelope from abroad, distinguishing between the North and South is very necessary.

I'm not saying people are correct in using the name, but they aren't being offensive.

Personally I don't hear many people using it anymore and it appears to be more of a generational thing. The older generations using it more than the younger ones.

English nationalism ffs :rolleyes:

As simple as that, Fred. There's no insult intended.
    I'd accept I should have addressed my mail "Irish Republic" or "Ireland" - perhaps I will in the future - it's just an old habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I've wondered that, it seems to be a policy thing.

Knowing the BBC it is probably the description that is likely to offend the fewest number of people.

It goes back to a UK policy around the time of the treaty of insisting on using Eire and not Éire or Ireland or Rep. of Ireland etc.

when you are adressing an envelope from abroad, distinguishing between the North and South is very necessary.

I'm not saying people are correct in using the name, but they aren't being offensive.

Personally I don't hear many people using it anymore and it appears to be more of a generational thing. The older generations using it more than the younger ones.

English nationalism ffs :rolleyes:

I never have a problem with the following if I am posting from the UK:

Mr Idyll Race
    123 Street Name
    Town Name
    Co. Example
    IRELAND

for the Republic, with an airmail label and EU postage,

and the following for the North as it is part of the UK:

Mr Another Name
    456 Sample Name
    Town Name
    BT65 1AA

Works every time with a first or second class stamp..the post code system means that you don't have to add England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland to the address if you are posting from within the UK.

I never have a problem with the following if I am posting from the UK:

Mr Idyll Race
    123 Street Name
    Town Name
    Co. Example
    IRELAND

for the Republic, with an airmail label and EU postage,

and the following for the North as it is part of the UK:

Mr Another Name
    456 Sample Name
    Town Name
    BT65 1AA

Works every time with a first or second class stamp..the post code system means that you don't have to add England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland to the address if you are posting from within the UK.

Good for you.

Why are you insulted if put Eire?

(Not that I do)

It goes back to a UK policy around the time of the treaty of insisting on using Eire and not Éire or Ireland or Rep. of Ireland etc.

And you can back that up can you?

FFS is this the day when half the country decides to get insulted over petty things or something?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Éire didn't come into use until 1937. Between 1922 and 1937 the Irish free State was the term used to describe the 26 Counties. Republic of Ireland didn't come into use until 1949. Since the Treaty was in 1921 the UK could not have had a policy of not using Éire or the Republic of Ireland.

Good for you.

Why are you insulted if put Eire?

(Not that I do)

Not insulted, but perplexed as to why call the country by a name nobody uses?

FFS is this the day when half the country decides to get insulted over petty things or something?

Can I back up a fact? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Éire#Use_of_Eire_in_Britain_and_the_US and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Irish_state#.22Eire.22_and_.22.C3.89ire.22_v_Ireland

You trace up the multiple footnotes there.

I am not insulted, just answering your question on it being a policy. It was a policy.
    Éire didn't come into use until 1937. Between 1922 and 1937 the Irish free State was the term used to describe the 26 Counties. Republic of Ireland didn't come into use until 1949. Since the Treaty was in 1921 the UK could not have had a policy of not using Éire or the Republic of Ireland.

Éire is a name, around a lot longer than 1937 or 1922. I never said anything about the political entity. I said the name, the name used in the treaty was Eire and not Éire.

Can I back up a fact? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Éire#Use_of_Eire_in_Britain_and_the_US and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Irish_state#.22Eire.22_and_.22.C3.89ire.22_v_Ireland

You trace up the multiple footnotes there.

I am not insulted, just answering your question on it being a policy. It was a policy.

Éire is a name, around a lot longer than 1937 or 1922. I never said anything about the political entity. I said the name, the name used in the treaty was Eire and not Éire.

Sounds to me as though even the Irish government didn't know what the country was called.

Not insulted, but perplexed as to why call the country by a name nobody uses?
    Apart from An Post.
    The funny thing is, if I simply put "Co.Cork" as the last line of the address it would probably still get there.
    I'll try to remember to write "Ireland" next time. It'll be the first time since 1968.
    Shame, really - I actually liked "Eire". Gave it more of a Celtic feel.

Where in the Treaty is the Eire used? It was drafted in English. The word Eire does not appear in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eire_(Confirmation_of_Agreements)_Act_1938

Act not treaty, my bad. But the point is, it was a policy to call it that and that is pretty much where the BBC got it from. Éireann was in use but not "officially" before and it was a conscious policy to refer to the new entity as Eire with no fada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eire_(Confirmation_of_Agreements)_Act_1938

Act not treaty, my bad. But the point is, it was a policy to call it that and that is pretty much where the BBC got it from. Éireann was in use but not "officially" before and it was a conscious policy to refer to the new entity as Eire with no fada.

That Act was in 1938. The British didn't start using the term Eire until then, which is what I said. They do not like referring to the Southern state as Ireland, because the still retain a portion of Ireland themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Éireann is the genitive clause of Éire, to use Éireann as the name of the country would be gramatically wrong in the Irish language.

eire of course has a completely different meaning as well as pronunciation to Éire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

The name of the state is Éire or in English, Ireland. Britain refused to refer to us as Ireland until the mid nineties mainly because the term can also be usedto refer to the entire island.

Advertisement