Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper water cylinder in hot press has a tiny bit of water

Options
  • 05-04-2020 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could shed some light for me.
    Our copper cylinder in the hot press [27 years old] as when house was built, has a little patch or two of blueish tinge near bottom and have noticed little drop of water on the timber it rests on.

Wondering if the tank would leak very fast and need to get it replaced this coming week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Just keep a eye for now. Normally slowly develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

florawest wrote: »
    Wondering if the tank would leak very fast and need to get it replaced this coming week.

You need to worry about the effect the leak will have on the ceiling below it. If you start to see stains on the ceiling, its probably too late and you may need to get a plasterer to fix it. You're going to have to replace the tank anyway so might as well do it now, before there is collateral damage.

I'm talking from experience, my cylinder leaked after 29 years. The leak was hidden inside the base so during the early days, there was no visible water mark on the floor under the cylinder. Until after I had a dirty mark on the ceiling below.

Get it sorted ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

My cylinder is downstairs right next to the range, but yes will get plumber this week while it isn't too troublesome.
    Thanks all who took time go respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Have it replaced ASAP.
    The copper is corroding hence the blue stains. It could corrode to the point where it's as thin as paper and then it could burst, maybe when you're not at home.
    Stay Safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s not going to get better anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If it 27 year old then it won’t have proper insulation like the newer ones so probably costing you a fortune in heat loss

Get it swapped and get one of the high efficient tanks, it will pay for itself in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Thanks everyone who took the time to answer, had the plumber call yesterday evening, measured up for a new one, rang while ago to say he had sourced one and will call this evening to replace it.

I mentioned range does a bit of clanking and clattering and he said sure ye have the boiler in that ( solid fuel heating rads) changed few times, ah no, I said should we do it now so, he said no it might cause no problems so fingers crossed, he was the first visitor inside our door in a good while but it was necessary.

Stay safe everyone. 🀞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

florawest wrote: »
    Thanks everyone who took the time to answer, had the plumber call yesterday evening, measured up for a new one, rang while ago to say he had sourced one and will call this evening to replace it.

I mentioned range does a bit of clanking and clattering and he said sure ye have the boiler in that ( solid fuel heating rads) changed few times, ah no, I said should we do it now so, he said no it might cause no problems so fingers crossed, he was the first visitor inside our door in a good while but it was necessary.

Stay safe everyone. ��

Not sure I follow. So you have a solid fuel range which heats the house? when it starts you get a bit of noise from the range? or from the pipes etc?

My mum & dad had similar setup, they used to have noise but I think a lot of it was the copper pipes expanding with the hot water, but I cant remember exactly

No expert but why would that matter if swapping an immersion tank?

Did he also confirm he is putting on the high efficiency one? something like thisL: https://mybuildingsupplies.ie/product/cylinder-copper-ins-single-coil-36x18?gclid=Cj0KCQjwybD0BRDyARIsACyS8mvTtigB3lE9SyYmQsUqRyZ7wu-N4dNtbU0C9SkqGqB-f3VLew_KZqcaAl48EALw_wcB

If he isn't then go to another plumber

Advertisement