Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl who "can't commit"

Options
  • 27-03-2020 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I met this girl last year through my best friend. She was my friends fiance's cousin, and after his stag party, he put some photos on social, which led to her asking him about me. I had never met her before, and we started to text and we went on a date a few days later.

We continued to date for around 2 months, until she suddenly told me she felt things were going too fast, and she didn't want to rush into a relationship, as she found it hard after a very difficult previous relationship and how it broke up. I was disappointed, as we hit it off instantly, and there was definitely chemistry between us and we both found each other attractive.

I kept things civil and I respected her decision as I was also bearing in mind she would also be at my friends wedding, which was approx 6 weeks away at that point (I was groomsman, she was a bridesmaid). So the odd text message was exchanged from when we stopped dating until the wedding. The wedding day came, and as we were both part of the wedding party, we had a lot of contact during the day, and that night we hooked up. We began to chat more frequently over the next few weeks, and she said that it was important to her that she was good friends with a guy before she started a relationship with them. My friends returned from their honeymoon and invited us over to their house for a game night, and we hooked up again.

After this she went cold for a week and then reached out to me again. I was coy at first, but she was leading the chasing and pursuing me heavily, so dropped my guard somewhat, and felt things were starting to progress well. From that point on we started to go on more dates and she started to came over to my place a few times. She would talk to me first thing in the morning until last thing at night, send me audio notes of how her day was, stories etc, suggesting things to do together, when to meetup etc..all positive things which indicated this was going to go somewhere. We briefly discussed about where this was going one night and she told me she likes me and could see this going somewhat further when she gets her head around a relationship.

A few weeks ago I had arranged for a dinner date on a Saturday night for the two of us, and she decided to invite my friends along too. I was a little put out as I wanted to spend more time with her on her own, but I didn't mention anything or show signs of being put out. She suggested later that day we spend some time together the on the Friday. She came over to mine to watch a movie.

We went for dinner and drinks with the other couple the next night. The night was good, we all had a couple of drinks and were quite tipsy and headed our separate ways to get home(we both live in opposite directions of (Dublin City Centre).

Since that night she started to go cold and distant with me, taking hours to respond to my text messages, initially I took no notice in the day or two after, but I felt there was something not right and different as it went into day 3 and 4. Rather than question it, I gave her a few days space and text her the next weekend and she was more chatty and seemed to be back to herself. I had been speaking to my friend in the meantime and asked how he felt the night went and he said it was great, they really enjoyed the night and said it was clear that she did too. I asked did I say or do anything which may have given her a reason to be upset with me and he said no, the only thing he could think of was I kissed her on the lips leaving the restaurant and she said she doesn't like PDA. It was on my mind to ask her if everything ok when the conversation was back flowing, but avoided the question, as it was in the past, and I didn't want to drag up old feelings in case there was something she was genuinely annoyed about.

During the next week it went back to very little contact and short and brief replies to messages. Again I left it a couple of days until the Friday evening when I decided to approach the subject, as it was stressful over analysing multiple scenarios in my head. She told me she really likes me but she has too much baggage from her previous relationship, which had ended two years previously, and doesn't know whether she will ever get over it, or be in a position to move on. She said she didn't want to hold me back. I asked could we meet to talk about this face to face rather than text message and she saw the message and ignored it, so I stopped contacting her completely.

Roll on today and a friend of mine came across her profile on Bumble and send me a screenshot of it. It hurts to admit, but it bothered me more than it should have. It is just under 2 weeks since we last spoke, and whilst we were not in a boy friend/girlfriend relationship it was getting close to the point where we needed to have that conversation, and it was frustrating this was done over text message. I knew her about 6 months at this stage, and I felt a bit hurt and used. It has been so tempting to contact her about the Bumble profile, but I have resisted messaging her. I want to move on, but I feel one way of closure is to learn from this, and without knowing the root cause it has been quite difficult. With COVID19 and being stuck indoors it has also given me a lot of time to think about it too. Any advice or thoughts would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It is not a nice situation to be in, but she was clear as she could be from the start that she wasn't ready for a relationship. When you brought it up again you got pretty much the same answer. As you said you were never in a boyfriend/girlfriend situation or had discussed exclusivity so the fact she is on Bumble is neither here nor there. The fact she invited friends along on your dinner date suggests to me she saw your whole arrangement as very casual.

When she told you she doesn't want to hold you back she is telling you to go and put your time into someone else because she is not interested in a serious relationship with you. There is no extra closure here for you I am afraid, sometimes people are not interested. Take a step back for now and try not over analyse it. Don't burn any bridges or start asking her about her Bumble profile. If you she comes back to you again after all this corona virus is over you need to be clear with your intentions. Don't be messed around or hang on for a maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I think you have your answer. She is not interested.
    Try to put it to the back of your mind and move on.

Whatever you do, do not contact her in any way. Just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

This isn't a girl who "can't commit". She is someone who won't commit to you because she doesn't like you enough. Sorry if I'm putting it a bit bluntly for you but that's what happened here. People make all sorts of excuses and tell white lies to keep wannabe boyfriends and girlfriends at bay. Baggage from a past relationship is one of the oldest fibs in the book. Even if she hadn't said that, the blowing hot and cold would be enough of a warning sign in its own right. Also, she didn't go cold on you because you kissed her on the lips. If she did, it shows how fragile you and her were. Were you blinded to the warning signs because you liked her so much?

Definitely don't make contact with her. You will regret it later. You are unlikely to get the response you want from her anyway and that will leave you feeling no better than you are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

Ya that's a manipulative woman imo. This happens quite a lot. I don't know why some women can't just be honest about their feelings, it's like they're more concerned about saving face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Poster above has nailed it, as harsh as it sounds she's just not into you enough. You may have all the chemistry and attraction and so on in the world, but it counts for nothing if there isn't also intent.

She's enjoying the ego boost of you being into her, and the dates and so on, but only when it suits her. That's why she's on Bumble also, despite apparently not wanting a relationship. It's clear she doesn't want any more than that or to have to offer any form of commitment which would require more from her than she's currently giving.

Your best bet is to cut your losses and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭hawley

I'd call her out on it on Bumble. Set up your own profile and ask her if she's looking for a relationship. I think that most people would be quite hurt over it but I don't think you should try to get back with her. It's done.

hawley wrote: »
    I'd call her out on it on Bumble. Set up your own profile and ask her if she's looking for a relationship. I think that most people would be quite hurt over it but I don't think you should try to get back with her. It's done.

That is dreadful advise! What are you thinking?

Op, do not do this. Definitely don't.

Perhaps not it the best way, but she has given you her answer. She is not interested in you. That's how it is. Going after her is both degrading yourself and harrassing her because she clearly doesn't want to get involved with you any more. Respect that.

Going on Bumble and "calling her out" is just juvenile, comes across as jealous and spurned and is just stirring the pot.

Let it be and move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

It is not a nice situation to be in, but she was clear as she could be from the start that she wasn't ready for a relationship. When you brought it up again you got pretty much the same answer. As you said you were never in a boyfriend/girlfriend situation or had discussed exclusivity so the fact she is on Bumble is neither here nor there. The fact she invited friends along on your dinner date suggests to me she saw your whole arrangement as very casual.

When she told you she doesn't want to hold you back she is telling you to go and put your time into someone else because she is not interested in a serious relationship with you. There is no extra closure here for you I am afraid, sometimes people are not interested. Take a step back for now and try not over analyse it. Don't burn any bridges or start asking her about her Bumble profile. If you she comes back to you again after all this corona virus is over you need to be clear with your intentions. Don't be messed around or hang on for a maybe.

Forget about it. She’s riding the cock carousel, and isn’t interested in committing. There’s plenty more fish in the sea OP, and life is to short to spend waiting.

Op I don't know what age you are but I am assuming you are in your 20s. At that age you shouldn't be dwelling over some girl that didn't work out. fellas in their 20s would be just out the following day and getting up on anything that moves.

Don't be so serious and just go out or on bumble and have some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Maybe he wants a girlfriend and isn't interested in riding all round him.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but either way, there is nothing to be gained by dwelling on a situation like this.
    She is gone. That's it. like everyone else this happens to , he'll just have to get over it and move on and the sooner he does so the better. Getting on the apps and going on a few dates and trying his look would be a good distraction from these thoughts, however, that isn't really feasibile with the covid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

A V O I D A N T

Look into it. A lot of things you describe here are textbook. It’ll explain your situation and make you feel a lot better seeing that this is ‘a thing’ with certain people. Even the way people are like “well she warned you from the start”: this is actually an avoidant tactic because it gives them a ready made excuse to back away at any stage, blow hot and cold but still tell themselves they’re a good person who doesn’t string people along. There’s a good chance she’s warned every guy she’s ever dated at the start. I once had a girl who spoke regularly about us getting married and having kids say “I warned you at the start.”

You’ll likely have people tell you stuff suggesting it’s something you did or how she doesn’t like you enough even if that doesn’t track with your lived experience, don’t mind that, she’s probably like that with every lad (unless it’s a toxic situation which avoidants generally run towards because it’s ultimately doomed, therefore no fear of long term commitment) and you’d probably hear some interesting stories from her exes that wouldn’t match hers.

The only thing you might be struggling with is that she seemed nice and genuine about this. For the word genuine, instead use the words ‘well practised’. And for the word nice, consider she probably has no idea what the word avoidant means, that she is it and that it’s not a normal way to treat someone because a large portion of conventional dating advice trends toward this attitude (be independent, don’t be too available, treat em mean etc). So to her she probably is being nice and morally squaring her behaviour. For gods sake don’t try and fix her though, run away from the spiderweb and use this experience to help you know what to avoid in the future.

Thanks for the advice so far folks. To give a bit of background I am 29, bought a house last year by myself and also completed a masters degree at night, so for 2 years or more I didn't have the time nor the money to look for a relationship, and I suppose I felt she came into my life at just the right moment when I had more "me" time. I had a few casual hookups in this time, but I just feel that I was now at the stage in my life to look for a girlfriend, as it had been quite a while since I had been in a serious relationship.

She was slightly older than me at 31, and my initial thoughts were due to her being a little older, she might have known what she wanted. I haven't contacted her at all since the last text message, nor would I message her about Bumble, firstly out of my own manners, but also the scenario in how we met - I will most likely see her again in the future at any parties or events my friends may host, and I do not want to create drama or unneeded stress for my friend or his wife, as it would not be fair on them, so I think the best thing is to be civil. Speaking to my friend earlier on the phone and she came up in conversation and he said neither of them have heard from her in about 3 weeks which he remarked was unusual.

I will try to move on, but with the current situation in the world it is difficult to keep busy and meet new people seeing as we're being told to stay indoors and isolate, so I suppose it has just led to me thinking more about the situation in my head, hence my post here.

It's possible that she's suffering from mental health issues, especially if she's gone to ground for the past month. She's also might be regretful and feel badly about how she treated you. She might be too embarrassed to face her friends. Sometimes relationships break down but she's still there in your mind. If you want to get closure on it, you need to give it another go. If she's not interested, then you know that you gave it a shot and there's no regrets and you'll move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's not how Bumble works. If they match the woman has to message the man first.

OP unless you've had the exclusive chat, these days the presumption is that there is no commitment. Online dating is fair game.

I don't use Bumble so I didn't realize. At the moment, it comes across like he still has feelings for her. No harm in setting up a profile so that she knows that you know she's on there. Put up a few things on your profile to let her know you're still interested in her, "I'm trying to bounce back from losing someone very special" I miss her so much". Make it obvious how much you want to be with her. If she doesn't contact then I'd leave it with no drama.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I don't use Bumble so I didn't realize. At the moment, it comes across like he still has feelings for her. No harm in setting up a profile so that she knows that you know she's on there. Put up a few things on your profile to let her know you're still interested in her, "I'm trying to bounce back from losing someone very special" I miss her so much". Make it obvious how much you want to be with her. If she doesn't contact then I'd leave it with no drama.

I’d run a mile if I was in her shoes and saw something like that.

I think any contact regarding the Bumble profile would cause red flags, and come off as creepy and stalkerish. I do still have feelings for her, I wouldn't have continued to pursue her if there wasn't anything there in the first case, or continue thinking about it. Thanks everyone for the advice, unusual times we are going through, and I'm sure everyone is evaluating their life, I suppose its a test of relationships and dating, as everything is "paused" at the moment.

Yeah no that’s wear your skin levels of crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Honeydew3456

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah no that’s wear your skin levels of crazy.

LOL!!!! Very well said and sooo true hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 eldudebros

I think her fading out on you is best case scenario for you.

Someone referenced attachment theory already, and while she certainly seems like an avoidant, avoidants generally only hook in those with an anxious- preoccupied style of attachment. That's not to categorise you or anything. But the hot and cold dynamic between the two can create something akin to intermittent reinforcement. This will generally ramp up your want/ need/ attraction to her that wouldn't necessarily exist otherwise. Not to mention the fact I think everyone is suffering from a scarcity mindset these days. That seems to be a factor too.

These dynamics can play out for years if you're suckered in. And honestly, if you engage further, you're just dragging yourself.

She'll be back rest assured. At some point they always are. That's not to give you false hope or anything, more so to lessen the feeling of "I'll never hear from her again!". Hopefully by then you'll have moved onto bigger and better things and you'll just see her as one of many and nothing special. That's generally the way it works anyway.

Not so much "can't" commit, as "won't".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey op,
    Sorry for being blunt it's just it's best to be in these situations... But screw her.

Fact is this girl is not hanging out of your arm calling you her boyfriend, right? so screw her. When it comes to matters of the heart we must be cautious and guarded. The paradox is at the same time we must be willing to let our hearts open.
    Thing is she played her hand. She showed her cards. Now you know.

Look you did nothing wrong. You tried.
    So time to start ignoring this person. She used you. She toyed with your heart. You don't owe her anything at this point. That includes being civil. That's not to say you should be rude to her but you don't owe her the time of day at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Hi OP, I get the “wanting to learn from this” as a means of moving on as I’d be similar. With matters of the heart, it’s so hard to be open and vulnerable and when you feel like you’ve been messed around and screwed over, staying open and being vulnerable in future relationships (which is absolutely required) can seem like the hardest thing.

I agree with others about her being an avoidant and would recommend picking up or downloading via audible a book called Attached by Amir Levine. Guaranteed you’ll be nodding along as he breaks down and describes the traits and behaviours of these people. I listen to this book routinely, about once a month, to prevent myself from going down similar rabbit holes with men that are unavailable and will never give me what I need and deserve. You can waste years hung up on the wrong people like this if you don’t learn about it. FYI the dating pool is predominantly made up of avoidant types (because of course, they can never commit)

The upshot is you need and deserve someone that embraces having you in their life as their partner, rather than avoiding it. Someone who doesn’t make you ride an emotional rollercoaster of “Will she won’t she text” and who makes you feel calm, assured and at peace, rather than frustrated, stressed and blaming yourself. Red flags here are: the love-bombing all-in approach she took with you to suddenly jumping ship. Emotionally healthy people don’t do that. Not being over her ex despite it being two years. Again, a healthy person would have processed that and well moved on by now. Her need to have to “process” the idea of a relationship with you. Major red flag. A relationship with someone you’ve been bonding with romantically over time is a natural result, a no-brainer, not a threat like she’s making out. Words not matching actions I.e promises promises and future talk and then pulling the plug. You questioning the most basic, rudimentary of behaviours as a reason for her pulling away. An emotionally healthy person would not be put off by PDA I.e a quick kiss on the lips after months of dating. Her avoiding the opportunity for intimacy with you I.e bringing your friends along.

These are all things you can look out for with future women that will allow you to write them off as romantic prospects. The right person will embrace closeness, intimacy and the idea of being with you. You’ll feel calm and secure with them.

Honestly, read the book.

eldudebros wrote: »
    Someone referenced attachment theory already, and while she certainly seems like an avoidant, avoidants generally only hook in those with an anxious- preoccupied style of attachment. That's not to categorise you or anything. But the hot and cold dynamic between the two can create something akin to intermittent reinforcement. This will generally ramp up your want/ need/ attraction to her that wouldn't necessarily exist otherwise. Not to mention the fact I think everyone is suffering from a scarcity mindset these days. That seems to be a factor too.

There are elements of anxious attachment theory in what the OP is saying, I’m looking for it too, like him wanting to give it ‘one more try’. Anxious people will go through that loop a million times if you let them, because avoidant people will still need the validation so will give them enough crumbs to believe there’s another chance until they’re finally done with or have replaced them (case in point: she’s never actually finished with him so he’s still wondering if there’s a chance that he can ‘fix’ it).

But just to note that they won’t ‘only’ hook up with anxious types, both avoidants and anxious people can be attracted to secure people and make it work. It’s just that mutual attraction isn’t there: either the former types find secure people ‘boring’ because there isn’t that rollercoaster feeling they associate with romance, or secure people run a mile. But it can work. Only reason I say this is if the OP sees her happy with someone else down the line and thinks he got it wrong, no actually that makes sense. It’s just the lesson that he should be taking from this is that the two of them are incompatible specifically. 100 times out of 100 things would’ve gone this way between them, both the highs and lows, and the cycle would repeat over and over if they tried again.

OP definitely read the Attached book that’s been recommended. It’ll explain all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eldudebros

leggo wrote: »

But just to note that they won’t ‘only’ hook up with anxious types, both avoidants and anxious people can be attracted to secure people and make it work. It’s just that mutual attraction isn’t there: either the former types find secure people ‘boring’ because there isn’t that rollercoaster feeling they associate with romance, or secure people run a mile. But it can work. Only reason I say this is if the OP sees her happy with someone else down the line and thinks he got it wrong, no actually that makes sense. It’s just the lesson that he should be taking from this is that the two of them are incompatible specifically. 100 times out of 100 things would’ve gone this way between them, both the highs and lows, and the cycle would repeat over and over if they tried again.

I said "hook in", not hook up.

Those who are securely attached will rarely stay for the drama, and will leave very soon. I should know I've lived it and studied it extensively. But much appreciation for further elaboration.

Advertisement