Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to take up boxing...

Options
  • 24-07-2005 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Been interested on and off in taking up boxing for a while but to be honest the idea intimidates me - I played Judo for about 4 years and have an all-Ireland bronze medal so it's not the contact or competitive aspect that intimidates me it's more the culture that seems to surround boxing.

I'm 18, just about 6 foot tall and a bit overweight although I'm aiming at losing the extra pounds by the end of the summer and I seem to be on track. I've been mainly focusing on cardio in the gym lately but if I'm serious about this boxing lark what specifics can I do in that regard?

Finally, I live just by the Clare Hall Shopping Centre / Total Fitness on the Malahide Road - where would be the nearest club for me to join?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Sorry, just an armchair fan here. If you do decide to take the interest any further it would be cool if you posted your progress here. Then I could say I know the next big thing ;) Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

you could try the baycity in Kilbarrack there on a break for the summer but should be starting back up mid next month theres also a place in baldoyle prolly the local community centre
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Best of luck Bob, 18 would be considered a late entry by boxing standards.
    Just a word of advice as I was an X boxer, it's a seriously competitive and tough sport and if you are not 100% sure, leave it.......Judo is a very tough sport also, but I think you will notice the extra gear needed when you take up the Boxing....good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

I'd say go 4 it- you've got nothin 2 loose- used to box up in the glyn beside the stardust memorial park- its closed years now- there's a club in sheriff/school street r glasnevin as well- trainin will be tough though

Advertisement