Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"1st Amendment Auditors"????

Options
  • 15-08-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watched any of the rash of videos appearing on Youtube of "1st Amendment Auditors" across the US?

The dicks with cameras that go around baiting and abusing cops and federal agents (and just random members of the public) by luring them on to public property while filming outside their facilities?

Some of them are actually getting payouts after. The idea is to get the cops/agents to react so they can take them to court.

They always sound about 14 years of age or something quoting the 1st amendment of the constitution like half assed lawyers.

Anyway seems to be an epidemic of this over there at the moment.

Does anyone have a video on one of these guys getting owned by the cops or whoever they are abusing? It would make me happy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Only fair. Havent the cops used similar tactics for decades on how to provoke a response from a citizen?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This seems like a very “American” topic. I doubt many on here would either know of, or care about, this nonsense.

Maybe try it over in the “current affairs” forum, that where crap like this belongs.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The idea is to get the cops/agents to react so they can take them to court.

Contained in the description of the video -

If you are easily offended, this video may not be for you.

The officer was very aggressive and intentionally farted while standing in my personal space; how professional!

Says it all really :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

They growing sector equivalent to this in the UK are 'photography' audits. Basically lads taking photos of military, defence, security locations, photos of those entering and exiting and then waiting to get a response. While it is above the law, it's in rather bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They growing sector equivalent to this in the UK are 'photography' audits. Basically lads taking photos of military, defence, security locations, photos of those entering and exiting and then waiting to get a response. While it is above the law, it's in rather bad taste.

That's pretty much exactly the same thing then?

And they all describe themselves as "journalists" as well I take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The guy filming was an a-hole.

Does anyone have a video on one of these guys getting owned by the cops or whoever they are abusing? It would make me happy :)
    I don't know if it is the same vein but a guy called Robert Peterson in Idaho tried to record in court - was blocked, argued - got tazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just like 2A auditors. The goal is not to make friends with cops but to remind cops through action that people still have rights. Cops often forget....

I’ll never forget this one: Miami police in 2011 filled a car full of lead, and a bystander got it on tape. The only reason we have the video to this day is because the man smuggled the file very deftly from his phones microSD card and onto his mouth. They wanted that video gone:

https://gizmodo.com/police-shooting-video-saved-by-hidden-memory-card-in-wi-5809847

"I'm not a driver, i'm a traveller" - "1st Amendment Right"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I don't think that'd be above the law in Ireland.

• Advertisement

There’s a ton of those videos out there. It all came about because a federal appeals court ruled that police could be filmed when carrying out their duty- it was against the first amendment to stop people filming.

Since that court ruling there’s a big rise in people standing outside and indeed inside police stations and army facilities etc baiting security and cops.
    A lot of the cops ask the video guys for ID- again something that they refuse as their not committing a crime, there’s no probable cause so why the need to say who they are.

It’s all very well until you come across a cop who likes to draw his gun first and answer questions later-

https://www.diyphotography.net/police-officer-almost-shoots-photographer-because-he-doesnt-know-what-gopro-is/

It’s a bit of a stupid pastime conducted by people who seem to have a huge chip on their shoulders - but it does also show that rights are easily infringed and eroded if society lets them- so there is another more serious side to all of this, regardless of what you think of some of these you tubers.

My understanding is that in Ireland it’s legal to video in a public place- there’s a few Irish versions of this on YouTube, all shot by complete scummers- I won’t post links as it highlights guards just going about their business, being obviously baited by the video guys.

Plans to ban videoing of Gardai in Ireland were shelved last year, which I believe is a good thing.

https://www.independent.ie/news/ian-odoherty-law-that-bans-filming-of-onduty-garda-will-never-happen-but-its-worrying-a-justice-minister-should-even-allow-idea-to-be-put-forward-37336385.html

It’s all very well until you come across a cop who likes to draw his gun first and answer questions later-

https://www.diyphotography.net/police-officer-almost-shoots-photographer-because-he-doesnt-know-what-gopro-is/

That's the thing. They do it to the general public as well (it's not just police, army etc) - themselves used to bait the police.

Some of these guys, especially the copy cats, are going to end up getting killed when they shove their cameras in the wrong person's face.

Even the UK ones I seen yesterday are somewhat odd given the instigators seem to be copying the US constitution side of things - of course laws will be slightly different for various things in the UK particular the power of police on the terrorism side - which means they are more vulnerable to arrest and being jailed.

Not bad thing in my view.

That's the thing. They do it to the general public as well (it's not just police, army etc) - themselves used to bait the police.

Some of these guys, especially the copy cats, are going to end up getting killed when they shove their cameras in the wrong person's face.

Even the UK ones I seen yesterday are somewhat odd given the instigators seem to be copying the US constitution side of things - of course laws will be slightly different for various things in the UK particular the power of police on the terrorism side - which means they are more vulnerable to arrest and being jailed.

Not bad thing in my view.

The UK ones are actually reckless imo - videoing MOD hq etc is just looking for trouble these days- the police are actually quite patient with this guy, Focus Pocus - it’s really pushing the police a bit too far - they’re naturally concerned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnIe_rkLdbw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wait till some of the same crew start turning up on 'public property outside your house filming your comings and goings...

Not sure if CCTV legislation doesnt actually already cover this type of ****ehawk behaviour tbh ...

Don't forget about the "Sovereign Citizens" too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

"I'm not a driver, i'm a traveller" - "1st Amendment Right"

Sometimes a little police brutality is okay.

Another where police brutality should be encouraged.

Overheal wrote: »
    Just like 2A auditors. The goal is not to make friends with cops but to remind cops through action that people still have rights. Cops often forget....

These ones nearly got themselves shot! Open carrying loaded weapons in to a police station :pac: It's going to happen sooner or later.

It's enough to make you question Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Another where police brutality should be encouraged.

Police brutality should never be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Frigging free-men antics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's interesting to hear the police say to them 'i don't care about the law' or 'When i ask you for ID you give it'.
    Glad to see some people get knocked off their high horse.

Overheal wrote: »
    Police brutality should never be encouraged.

True. Police brutality should be properly investigated. But not by members of the public with possible personal agendas. (Unless they're willing to be investigated themselves and determined as being unbiased, which I doubt most would be willing to accept) A lot of these videos are done by people seeking to get a rise out of the cops. It's the extension of sensationalist media that is common in the US.

It will be interesting to see how the behavior in New York turns out. I wonder how they'll feel if the police forces simply walk away, leaving them to protect themselves, especially since they've banned personal firearms... I suspect we'll see a whole raft of different kind of criticisms then, and no accepting of responsibility for how it happened...

It's fashionable to challenge the police in the US over every kind of action. It's utterly retarded, but I've given up expecting sensible behavior from them.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Only fair. Havent the cops used similar tactics for decades on how to provoke a response from a citizen?

Yes indeed. Nothing wrong with filming police. We are all filmed nowadays and nobody asked our permission. In most of those cop block cases it is the police who make contact and who make an approach. And despite being told that they don't want to engage or answer any questions they persist. Surely that's harrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

The open carry thing is crazy in the states and those fools deserve to get dragged to the ground but I do enjoy some of the right to film videos. News Now Houston is worth a watch and comes across decent enough. It really is crazy the fear authority's have of being filmed and the lengths they go to to try stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Annoying assholes who delude themselves into thinking there is some principle or integrity to their assholery.

GolfNut33 wrote:
    The open carry thing is crazy in the states and those fools deserve to get dragged to the ground but I do enjoy some of the right to film videos. News Now Houston is worth a watch and comes across decent enough. It really is crazy the fear authority's have of being filmed and the lengths they go to to try stop it.

There is one in which a police chief addresses a group of people outside a police station and then (as far as i can recall) demands everyone to hand over their mobile. He's being sued as far as i know.

The gun bearing thing is outside Irish culture and hard to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jenna_haze

You can film/photo anything you can see from a public place, if they dont want you to film/photo put a fence around it.
    The Powers that be have zero problem monitoring you with CCTV every day, if you dont exercise your rights they will remove them..
    Its a slippy slope, that take away one right they will be after another, before you know it it will be like China with a social credit score
    "It only a tiny few who film/photo in public so its wont effect you that we are banning it"-Politician

jenna_haze wrote:
    You can film/photo anything you can see from a public place, if they dont want you to film/photo put a fence around it. The Powers that be have zero problem monitoring you with CCTV every day, if you dont exercise your rights they will remove them.. Its a slippy slope, that take away one right they will be after another, before you know it it will be like China with a social credit score "It only a tiny few who film/photo in public so its wont effect you that we are banning it"-Politician

I am not sure this is necessarily true. It depends on what you mean by public place. A Garda station for example ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Does anyone have a video on one of these guys getting owned by the cops or whoever they are abusing? It would make me happy :)...

Here's one where the auditor gets owned.
    https://youtu.be/sV6nsq6IIHg

However the follow ups might not please you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement