Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Sports Person of the Year

Options
  • 26-03-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Will Dunne or any boxer have a chance of getting this or will it be a member of the Irish rugby team? Any other year and Dunne would be a certainty, both deserve the credit, awesome achievements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Dunne will have a great chance of winning - but shhh we are not allowed to talk about other sports people in here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

id say drico will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Difficult to argue against that - the guy has been immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

It wont be Dricco, well at least it shouldnt be, Theres no doubts that the rugger team will win team of the year. Dunne should be ahead of Dricco in most peoples minds but what will go against him is the support base of Rugby V Boxing, its very hard for a sportsperson from a minority sport to win it BUT I think that the public sentiment has really warmed to all things Dunne. RTE released their viewing numbers and the fight got 600k views which is pretty damn impressive considering it was at midnight on a saturday, hardly a prime time viewing slot compared to the rugger which was 6-7 in the afternoon.

Its very early in the year and I suppose its what happens over the next 9 months but I cant see Dricco winning it as the rugger was more viewed as a team effort as opposed to an individual, I would rekon that McIlroy poses a much greater threat in what looks like the most successful year we have had in decades - AND ITS ONLY MARCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

drico in fairness has been amazing, i wouldnt grumble if he won it even at this early stage. but as you say its only early yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I hope Bernard gets it, and with one more performance this year he surely will

Ruby Walsh must also be mentioned here as a contender as 7 cheltenham winners wont be matched for a long long time to come

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

AIBA world c'ships are on in September. If one of the lads pick up a gold in that, that will be fresh in peoples minds at the end of the year !
    I put my money on Nevin !

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Brian or Ruby are thorough deservees'!

I hope Taylor gets it really, she is the most deserving! Anyway, wasn't this on
    late last year. Are we talking about the 2009 person? Very early to decide

Advertisement