Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapatalk

Options
  • 01-01-2010 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,

Would it be possible to install the Tapatalk plugin on boards.ie so that iPhone users can use their app to view and post, please? Also available for Android and Nokia phones, AFAIK.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Have you tried http://m.boards.ie?

That's what I'm on (on an Android phone) right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Darragh wrote: »
    Have you tried http://m.boards.ie?

That's what I'm on (on an Android phone) right now :)

Cheers, have tried it alright but am not a big fan. it's definitely more responsive than the full site though.

Tapatalk is supposed to be straightforward to install on the forum, so I'm just chancing my arm in the hope that an Admin is feeling benevolent today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

I've had a bit of a look at the Tapatalk plugin. It's not the kind of thing I'd install without having a serious look at what it does. Blindly installing a ~15,000 line plugin poses a few risks to the security and stability of the site! :)

Also, we're not quite running a stock version of vBulletin. We haven't strayed too far from the official releases but there's a small possibility that the Tapatalk plugin won't work if we install it.

When I get a chance to properly evaluate the plugin I'll see if we can get it installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Cheers Conor, appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Just wanted to add a +1 on this, I'm using it over on Politics.ie & finding it very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

I came across a new IPhone/Android app called Taptalk last night. It interfaces with a free plugin for vBulletin to make it easier for people on mobile platforms to read the board. Politics.ie installed it yesterday (which I how I found out about it).

I wonder would the admins consider looking at it to see if it's suitable for boards?

Merged with previous thread.

markpb: We'll evaluate the Tapatalk plugin at some stage. I wouldn't expect it to be installed any time soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Cheers. Sorry I missed the other thread, google let me down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

+1 for this. Using it on android with p.ie and it is very good.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I had a look around the apps for iPhone as I liked the tapatalk app and wanted to see if any other apps might do the trick.

I managed to find an app called Forums, which costs the same as tapatalk, but works on boards.ie without any alteration required to the site.

Still messing around with it but it seems good so far. One thing I have started to do is subscribe to forums I use most frequently so as to make it easier to find them. Otherwise you have all the top level forums listed and have to work your way down through them.

I have posted a little with it. seems good so far, no thanks feature though. And jumping between pages is easy enough.

Anyways, I just thought I'd post this as I was interested in getting a tapatalk type app for the iphone.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

On the jesus phone, it's possible to make a desktop shortcut to m.boards.ie, but it chooses a default icon made from the page layout. Conor, any chance we could implement the following teeny tiny few lines of code to allow Boards to have it's own custom icon?

http://vjarmy.com/archives/2008/01/howto_iphone_webclip_icons.php

One of the guys on the Apple Media Devices did this up as sample (Not sure what the iBored is for, but the idea is sound)

20100216-dtamumtiippq7y1afbxqe6y1y1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

koth wrote: »
    I had a look around the apps for iPhone as I liked the tapatalk app and wanted to see if any other apps might do the trick.

I managed to find an app called Forums, which costs the same as tapatalk, but works on boards.ie without any alteration required to the site.

Still messing around with it but it seems good so far. One thing I have started to do is subscribe to forums I use most frequently so as to make it easier to find them. Otherwise you have all the top level forums listed and have to work your way down through them.

I have posted a little with it. seems good so far, no thanks feature though. And jumping between pages is easy enough.

Anyways, I just thought I'd post this as I was interested in getting a tapatalk type app for the iphone.

I tried forums lite and it's just showing me the boards.ie site exactly as I would see it in a web browser. Did you have any difficulty getting boards working on this app?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

Never mind, I just realised what I was doing wrong. Should have used http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php for the URL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I will throw my +1 in with this. I have tried Forums and dont like it

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

+1. This site is practically unusable on mobile devices

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

+1 Pleeeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

I'd definitely like to see a tapatalk plugin on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Just so the admins are aware, Tapatalk now available for iPhone, Android, Nokia and Blackberry. I continue to use it on a daily basis on other sites

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye +1 this would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

+1 Been using tap talk for awhile to browse a few android forums and its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

+1

No need for +1s, thanks. If/when we have more news on this, I'll unlock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement