Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2.2 in Psychology BA

Options
  • 12-11-2014 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

5 years ago I was a young and stupid boy, which led me to get a 2.2 in my psychology BA.

Little did I know at the time how hard it would be to do anything with this. Getting into a masters is proving very difficult.

Have any people on here managed to do well in postgrad or employment with a 2.2 in psychology?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DalaiAlma

Hi Fakman87. Similar to you I didn't realise at the time of doing my degree that many training courses ask for a first or 2.1 as part of their entry criteria. Having a 2.2 isn't necessarily going to prevent you from progressing but it does mean it's likely to take longer.

If you want to do an applied psychology discipline (like clinical) or go on to do a PhD, you'll need a master's degree, preferably with an emphasis on research like an MPhil or MLitt. I'd suggest contacting the different universities directly about their master's programmes and see if they would accept you and if not, find out what you can do to help. It might be worth considering the UK as there is a wider selection of courses available, or look into whether you could do it by distance. Also, I think you should really be aiming for a distinction, and a publication from it would be helpful as well as it shows your work is of a high standard.

As regards employment, some jobs just ask for a psychology degree and but the majority ask for a first/2.1 so I'd keep an eye out for those that don't. Though as you'll be competing with others with higher grades, you'd need to have some good experience and reflections to boost your application. Or you could try getting work doing something like admin or reception work in a team and apply for internal vacancies once you're in (that's what I did, and I was then able to apply for assistant psychologist positions that came up).

As I said don't think a 2.2 is necessarily going to prevent you from progressing, but it's likely to take longer and you will need to work very hard and do well at postgraduate study and get yourself some good work experience (if you want to do an applied discipline like clinical).

Btw, I got a 2.2 and I'm a trainee educational psychologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey lads,

5 years ago I was a young and stupid boy, which led me to get a 2.2 in my psychology BA.

Little did I know at the time how hard it would be to do anything with this. Getting into a masters is proving very difficult.

Have any people on here managed to do well in postgrad or employment with a 2.2 in psychology?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it too much. An acquaintance of mine is now lecturing in Psychology at third level, despite the fact that they were never exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. I once had a psychology lecturer who was of a similar ilk. Mark Twain's "ignorance and confidence" quote sums it up perfectly.

Advertisement