Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twelve Pubs of Christmas

Options
  • 10-12-2008 2:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Did the 12 pubs of xmas with a group of friends there on Monday. Great craic. Being a student we hardly ever get to sit around in a pub with a pint so I really enjoyed the change.

Started around 2pm in The Hole in the Wall, then Hughes', An Pucan, Richardsons, The Skeff, Garavans, Freeneys, Quays, Monroes, Taaffes, Paddys, and back to Hole in the Wall for the twelfth (where else would let you in at that stage:D).

There were 11 of us in total santa hats n all, and it was funny seeing the reactions we got. I only joined the boys in Richardsons, which was quiet and I know the owner anyway so there weren't many issues. The Skeff didn't seem too pleased to see us, especially after someone's pint got knocked over.

Garavans was hilariously unwelcoming. All the old regulars trying to watch RTE News telling us to pipe down (we were with a few girls who were gettin fairly rowdy). The lady behind the bar was pretty nice though, she asked us to quieten down but it was more because her regulars were getting upset than herself. I had a bit of a laugh with her on the way out about it.

Freeney's surprisingly was the most easy going. We were singing christmas songs by this stage, even got another table to sing with us and nobody complained. Unlike The Quays where the manager came over to tell us not to sing (we were by ourselves away up in the corner...). Walked from Monroes to The Crane and we had barely stepped in the door before they said they had a call from another pub and weren't going to serve us :(

Then one of the lads couldn't get into Fibbers, of all places, so we went to Paddys which is a pretty weird looking pub IMO.

Finished in the Hole in the Wall, where a little fight broke out between one of the lads and the 2 girls, who threw their drinks over him and beat him with their shoes. Nobody batted an eyelid, gotta love the 'Wall :D

Sat behind Ulster Bank and went thirds on a 70cl bottle of vodka, which was horrendously unnecessary by that stage. Still got into the GPO though ;)

Great craic anyway.... anyone else got any stories about Galway pub crawls, or can you suggest a good one (which we'll attempt after Xmas when they'll have forgotten about us).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

An eventful experience. There's an idea for the next boards bash! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i did it for the first time in galway last year having previously done it in sligo the two years previous. it was great craic and i got a chance to visit pubs that i'd never done before.

but what a hangover...

also, garavans was the same for us last year :D
    pub number 7 i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Should be a nice crowd of us doing it on the 20th. Finished exams on the 19th so it should be pretty good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hmm, you sir have given me an idea for monday evening when I'm finished.
    All I have to do is not die of a caffeine overdose in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Caliden wrote: »
    Hmm, you sir have given me an idea for monday evening when I'm finished.
    All I have to do is not die of a caffeine overdose in the meantime
    i'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Should be a nice crowd of us doing it on the 20th. Finished exams on the 19th so it should be pretty good craic.

Do the world a favour, and stay away from Garavan's ... leave it for us old people!

(Who quite like the idea of doing a 12-pubs of our own ... but will do it with style and decorum not usually associated with students!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

JustMary wrote: »
    Do the world a favour, and stay away from Garavan's ... leave it for us old people!

(Who quite like the idea of doing a 12-pubs of our own ... but will do it with style and decorum not usually associated with students!)
    in this thread: condescending middle agers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dirty Dicks
    Hogans
    Toners
    The Lantern
    The Merlin
    (deep breath)
    The Bentley
    The Imperial
    The Pucan
    The Galway Arms
    Val Cartys
    The Albert

Finally

The Hilltop

That is my recommendation .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tiredy

We did the 12 last Saturday!!There was 24 of us in total!!!Friends came from all over Ireland and further!!
    We started at 3pm in the Quays, then O Neachtains, The Dail (Ti na Nog), The Front Door, Murphys, The Kings Head, Taafes, Ti Coili, The Dew Drop Inn, The Living Room, De Bruns and had the 12th in Arus na nGael. Some went on to have a 13th in Buskers, Twas great craic, we did it last year too but took a different route! Will def do it agian next year and plan a different route again. WE even had our own Drinking Committee set up and have yet to vote for the All-Star drinker on the night!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dirty Dicks
    Hogans
    Toners
    The Lantern
    The Merlin
    (deep breath)
    The Bentley
    The Imperial
    The Pucan
    The Galway Arms
    Val Cartys
    The Albert

Finally

The Hilltop

That is my recommendation.
    Wtf, I hardly know those pubs. Thought I been to every pub in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Dirty Dicks
    The Merlin
    (deep breath)
    Are you crazy?!?!:pac:

That is the biggest kip of a pub in Galway,if not Connaught! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

biko wrote: »
    Wtf, I hardly know those pubs. Thought I been to every pub in the city.

thats because must of them closed down, burnt down or were ran outta town!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Interesting selection of pubs there Sponge Bob...
    Dirty Dicks - Never heard of this one.
    Hogans - Never heard of this one.
    Toners - Do you mean Tonerys on Prospect Hill?
    The Lantern
    The Merlin
    (deep breath)
    The Bentley - It's not 1994 any more, the Bentley has changed it's name a few times since then :).
    The Imperial
    The Pucan
    The Galway Arms
    Val Cartys - Never heard of this one.
    The Albert - Never heard of this one (unless you mean the pub near Anfield in Liverpool?).

Finally

The Hilltop - Never heard of this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭brutes

Sponge bob, i am surprised you left out on your trail a few classics..how about this 12...

The Beehive
    Currans
    The American Hotel
    Laffeys
    The Genoa Bar
    The Lions Tower
    The Yacht
    The Brooklyn Bar
    Bermos rest
    The Lisheen
    The Canal Bar
    and finish it all off in The West End.....;)

Iv heard of at least 4 twelve pubs happening this saturday 20th!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

malice_ wrote: »
    Interesting selection of pubs there Sponge Bob...

Also, isn't the Lantern closed? There was always such an odd crowd in there.

donmeister wrote: »
    Are you crazy?!?!:pac:

That is the biggest kip of a pub in Galway,if not Connaught! :P

If not Ireland!!:D

tiredy wrote: »
    We did the 12 last Saturday!!There was 24 of us in total!!!Friends came from all over Ireland and further!!
    We started at 3pm in the Quays, then O Neachtains, The Dail (Ti na Nog), The Front Door, Murphys, The Kings Head, Taafes, Ti Coili, The Dew Drop Inn, The Living Room, De Bruns and had the 12th in Arus na nGael. Some went on to have a 13th in Buskers, Twas great craic, we did it last year too but took a different route! Will def do it agian next year and plan a different route again. WE even had our own Drinking Committee set up and have yet to vote for the All-Star drinker on the night!!:)

12 pubs and no Freenys or Garavans? Shame on ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Doing it on the 20th aswell, I think half the college are. I think its best to start in the nicer places and work your way down so as to avoid not being served, finishing of course in the hole in the wall.

Doing it on the 20th aswell, I think half the college are. I think its best to start in the nicer places and work your way down so as to avoid not being served, finishing of course in the hole in the wall.

I think that a good 12 pubs would be as follows. O'Connolls, Skeff, Garavans, Taffees, Ti Coli, Kings Head, Freenys, Murphys, Front door, Bunch of grapes, Neachtains and the Quays. All in a straight line too from start to finish! If I go on a 12 pubs I will be pushing for the above Route!

• Advertisement

How can students afford to do this?

I hate study.I have only drank twice since Halloween.God dam exams.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I have only drank twice since Halloween

You poor,poor man (or woman) :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I spent about €50. Most first years go out 1-3 times a week, if you take a week off then you should be able for it. Personally I'd much rather go on a big pub crawl once every fortnight than go to the same old clubs 2-3 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Got turned away from the riosin last night so if its on your list try going in smaller groups. There was about 10 of us

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mammy and fcuking Daddy paying for everything*

* Yes i'm bitter because I actually pay my own way, what's your point? :pac:

Caliden wrote: »
    Got turned away from the riosin last night so if its on your list try going in smaller groups. There was about 10 of us

ya heard about people being turned away from a few other places, and the vintners whingin then that the pub trade is in decline!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We're doing the 12 days of Christmas too, I think it'll be a bit of an anti climax as there's only 10 pubs in the town. We could maybe make it work if we called to Eurospar and the local mace as they sell bottles of wine. Nothing better than a bottle of wine to wash down a gaggle of lager. :pac:

12 pubs and no Freenys or Garavans? Shame on ye!

we didnt go to Freeneys coz last year we were thrown out of it when we were mid drink
    LAst years route 2007

The Crane Bar
    Massimo
    Blue Note
    Roisin Dubh
    Monroes
    Arus na Gael
    The Living Room
    Dew Drop
    Ti Coili
    Taafes
    Bunch of Grapes
    Freeneys
    Murphys
    The Kings Head

(I think this was the route anyhow)
    As you can see we did more than 12 last year. We were fairly loaded by the time we got to Freeneys, but they were complete **** and accused my mate of stealing a briquette from beside the fire!!Wouldnt mind but he had stolen it in the Dew Drop earlier!!Havnt been to freeneys since!!

We didnt head up the direction of Garavans. Maybe next year. Itl be a different route again, although we did a lot of the same ones again this year

what make sya think its only students that do it???
    There wasnt one student of the 24 that did our crawl!!
    Few teachers though!!!

• Advertisement

I think that a good 12 pubs would be as follows. O'Connolls, Skeff, Garavans, Taffees, Ti Coli, Kings Head, Freenys, Murphys, Front door, Bunch of grapes, Neachtains and the Quays. All in a straight line too from start to finish! If I go on a 12 pubs I will be pushing for the above Route!

You must remember you wont be walking in a straight line after a few drinks so go for the wobbly route!!:D

Advertisement