Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone with removable battery

Options
  • 24-11-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

i,m looking to buy an android phone , with a removable battery .
    screen size at least 5 inch .
    5-6 inchs screen size.
    i understand i have to buy a preowned phone .
    Can any one recommend one ,my main device preference is good battery life ,with a low power mode option.
    it,ll be mainly used for playing radio, music and podcasts ,
    i dont need the latest version of android os.
    it wont have a sim card in it, so i domnt need to worry about security updates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

One of the last flagship android phones with a removable battery came from LG. Both the v20 and g5 had em. They're both a fair bit old now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wasn't there some talk about the EU planning to enforce removable batteries for new handsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wasn't there some talk about the EU planning to enforce removable batteries for new handsets?

I hope that comes pass. Until then this is just another way for manufacturers to introduce planned obsolescence into their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep, knew I'd read something about it:
    The European Union may force makers of smartphones, tablets and wireless earphones to use easily replaceable batteries with their devices.

According to the Dutch business newspaper Het Financieele Dagblad, which obtained a draft of the EU's plans, the EU's executive arm – the European Commission – is drafting a proposal to force vendors to do this.

Het Financieele Dagblad added that officials plan to formally submit their proposal for public discussions next month.

The EU's plan ties in with its larger goal of reducing e-waste – the waste generated by redundant, non-recyclable electronic devices.

Also:
    It's an issue that's come under the spotlight recently, as the EU has pushed for a standardized phone charger that works across all smartphone brands and device types – another move aimed at cutting e-waste.

One major smartphone vendor, Apple, pushed back against this idea in January. The tech giant, whose iPhones sport a proprietary connector called the Lightning port, argued that "regulation that forces conformity across the type of connector stifles innovation." It further claimed that the introduction of a universal charging method would generate waste of its own. Unsurprisingly, the EU rejected Apple's claims.

No surprise there by Apple but that would be a great move - especially if Apple intend to continue not supplying chargers with their new phones.

riclad wrote: »
    i,m looking to buy an android phone , with a removable battery .
    screen size at least 5 inch .
    5-6 inchs screen size.
    i understand i have to buy a preowned phone .
    Can any one recommend one ,my main device preference is good battery life ,with a low power mode option.
    it,ll be mainly used for playing radio, music and podcasts ,
    i dont need the latest version of android os.
    it wont have a sim card in it, so i domnt need to worry about security updates.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-phones-removable-battery-697520/

Nokia 2.2 could be a good choice

go for the 3gb ram / 32gb rom model

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=nokia+2.2+3gb&_sacat=0

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    I hope that comes pass. Until then this is just another way for manufacturers to introduce planned obsolescence into their products.

You can always pay for a battery replacement, so it's only planned obsolescence if you don't want to do that.

If a manufacturer sold a flagship style phone with a replacement battery, it would probably sell fairly well, but there would be a few sacrifices with the design which would put a lot of people off.

Advertisement