Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless Charity In Dublin?

Options
  • 25-11-2010 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this is in the right forum, sorry if it's not:o

I used to be a very charitable person but what with all the cutbacks and everything, I decided to stop donating money to the charities that I used to.
    I'm not happy about it but I just can't afford it anymore and have to put my family first, lest we start to require charity!

But it was pointed out to me that I can still help without having to donate money, but by donating my time.
    So I decided to volunteer with a homeless charity...but the thing is, I don't have the first clue about how to go about this...

I've been checking google but I'm having a hard time gathering info about the specific work their volunteers do.

Are there any boards memebers that volunteer who could point me in the right direction please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Moved from Humanities to Volunteerism. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cato2605

http://www.volunteeringireland.com/

OP try this website. Offers load of ideas and placements. Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Moved from Humanities to Volunteerism. :)
    Sorry dude, because the 'soc' tab is so long, I completely missed volunteerism.

Thanks for moving.

Thanks for the link cato.

-Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 popcorntea

hi there you could try dublin simon http://www.dubsimon.ie/Volunteer/ParttimeVolunteering/tabid/126/language/en-US/Default.aspx they ask you to fill in an application form..if your based in dublin.

they have a good few other locations if your not based in dublin either. I think Focus is another charity which works with people who are homeless. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

again Dublin SImon do great work. I teach art to a group with them every sunday for an hour. Lovely group of people and very worthwhile, can't recommend them enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

sorry for jumping in. want to ask are the bosses of homeless charities well paid and are they paid from donations?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toobeyshaw

I have been thinking about doing some volunteer work for a homeless charity as well. I feel very sad walking past people on the street and I want to do something to help. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toobeyshaw

WildOscar wrote: »
    sorry for jumping in. want to ask are the bosses of homeless charities well paid and are they paid from donations?

I don't know, I think you can usually see things like that published on annual accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

The Capuchin Day Centre is good too, they are based in Bow St. Dublin 7. I hear they have low administration costs too, so a good charity to donate to online.

I know what you mean, it's upsetting to see people homeless at this time of the year, upsetting at any time of the year really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

WildOscar wrote: »

As was said you'd have to look at the accounts. Someone pointed out lately that people are happy to pay overheads when ordering a burger, but not when giving to charity. Is eating your burger so much more important?
    Without these overheads, admin, salaries the charities don't function. What else are you contributing for but to pay for someone to do some good in the world. It can't all be spent on soup.

And, the organizations that say salaries are not paid from donations are no different to others anyway. If a charity gets in €5 donations and €5 government fund and pays a salary of €4, it doesn't really make a difference in the long run if the €4 came from your bit or someone else's bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Rioga na hEireann

O Connell street on Friday nights 8-10pm you have Northern Irish and Bangladeshi NGOs feeding and clothing up to 300 people per night. You want to help? Make hot food or cakes or sandwiches are a really good one and bring them. Only thing is try to make sure sandwiches are vegetarian as the lads from Bangladesh are muslims and might prefer that the meat be slaughtered according to their religious requirements and no pork or alcohol for example. You could also get any clothes you're not using and bring them, or any tents or sleeping bags, or damp protectors. Remember - your action can save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rioga na hEireann

for people out the country I think there is an organisation called "pizza sunday club" who are looking for help as well so you could do a google search for them

They do pizza for everybody - but in the context of the people being there at the events not knowing who the homeless and who the non-homeless are. it's kind of to break down barriers in communities. which is a good idea as it helps heal the "us and them" barriers in the minds of the people who are stranded on the street.

Really good opportunities to help people these days there is barely a big town in Ireland nowadays without people you can help out

And get organised - doesn't have to be a big charity to donate to - just do it on a grassroots level - find people who are reasonably self-responsible okay mentally on the street who are begging, or even not begging but just look like they need a few quid and just help them out on the quiet.

You never know it could be someone you know that lands in this boat next and so many people just keeping the wolf from the door these days

Advertisement