Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newpark Auditions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

Have to wait till saturday to find out! :), What kind of stuff are you doing to prepare your self for your audition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I'm going over diminished and augmented chords and scales. I'm going over all my ear training stuff.... you know like regonising chords and their inversions.
    I'm also going over modes - just mode types really
    And I've got a few songs prepared, I know they're only looking for two but I have about 5 I can choose from in case they ask for different genre's or anything.
    I was at piano last night and my teacher was very reassuring so I'm feeling a lot less stressed out today! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Val in all honesty your the very type of voice they're looking for! I don't think you'll have any problems at all. Start saving!! :D

A

:o Scarlet!

Thanks! :)

You seem to have it sorted Saint!, 2 days to go! :)

• Advertisement

1 DAY TO GO FOR YOU.... :eek:

2 FOR ME..... :eek: :eek:

:D

Lol, your right, one day left for me! :p

It actually wasnt too hard, clapping back rhythms was tuff enouf though, I played, standard swing, latin,

And a fusion groove, this one..

Its the start of the song "Still Moanin"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00005B86V001001/026-5237775-4462049

Hey, Nice one. Glad you go on well.
    So tell me what they asked you? Did they ask about chords or anything?

Thanks Saint, They didnt ask me about chords actually... maybe because I auditioned for drums :) , they asked me basically what you said in that post, and a few other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

i was supposed to have an audition today but i just can't afford the course. I may go for it next year though.

• Advertisement

Alkali wrote:
    Thanks Saint, They didnt ask me about chords actually... maybe because I auditioned for drums :) , they asked me basically what you said in that post, and a few other things.

Anything I should know, or was it just Drumming stuff, rudiments etc?
    What kinda vibe was it? Chilled out or up tight?
    This is a really girlie question to ask so I apologise in advance :D But do you think it’s cool to show up wearing jeans?

bonzai bob wrote:
    i was supposed to have an audition today but i just can't afford the course. I may go for it next year though.

Yea, I know it's pretty expensive. You should check out the ensemble course the do part time, its one night a week and excellent! It would be good preparation for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

This is a really girlie question to ask so I apologise in advance :D But do you think it’s cool to show up wearing jeans?

No, you cant wear jeans. They hate jeans. .................. :)

Seriously, youre reading way too deep into this stuff. They just wanna hear you play and see what you know about music. They dont give a crap about what you wear or look like.

Alkali, did you have Conor Guilfoyle for the audition?? How do you think it went??
    When i did it, i thought id completely screwed it up but i guess i hadnt.
    How old are you btw??

Anything I should know, or was it just Drumming stuff, rudiments etc?
    What kinda vibe was it? Chilled out or up tight?
    This is a really girlie question to ask so I apologise in advance But do you think it’s cool to show up wearing jeans?

For me it was just rudiments and stuff, its really quite actually, not really uptight at all!, you could wear anything you like!, I went with a shirt and jeans.

One bit of advice Saint, show up 10 mins before your audition :rolleyes: ...

Are you doing the PTMC Saint?
    Alkali, did you have Conor Guilfoyle for the audition?? How do you think it went??
    When i did it, i thought id completely screwed it up but i guess i hadnt.
    How old are you btw??

I had Ronan Guilfoyle and Mike Nielson, it went grand actually, just played some swing, latin and a fusion groove. And clapped out some rhytms, and asked my some tech.

When did you do yours crowbar188? Did you lose time?, im sure you will be fine.

No i did mine last year. i just completed the PMTC this year. what did you audition for??

course-wise i mean.

crowbar188 wrote:
    No, you cant wear jeans. They hate jeans. .................. :)

Seriously, youre reading way too deep into this stuff. They just wanna hear you play and see what you know about music. They dont give a crap about what you wear or look like.

Well I am a girl, and as such have a tendency to read way to deep into things... but thanks for the call back down to earth!

Cool, are you doing another year?, what was your favourite part of the year? How was the composing part of the year? Are the Ensemble classes any good?

Sorry about all the questions!
    :rolleyes:

I auditioned for drums, I would of liked to do Piano aswell.

Yeh im hoping to go on to the next year. Ill find out on tuesday.

The composing isnt that bad. Alot of people freak out about it cos they mightent have done it before but as i said before theyre not looking for a masterpiece, just a good effort. I mean, it is highly likely that the majority of people doing the PMTC will make at least one mistake when tryin to write out a composition (i know i did) cos they probly wont have done it very much before and the teachers know that. Theyre not gonna mark you really badly just cos you made a mistake.

The ensemble is good fun but can be frustrating at the start cos your put in a room with 4 or 5 other people who mightnt like the same music as you so it can be difficult to agree on what to play, but usually theres at least one common interest and people get along ok. The ensemble classes are as good as your group makes them. If you put in work then youll do well, if you dont you wont. All the ensembles have to play a gig at the end of the year to show what theyve done. That was really good fun. Probly my favourite bit of it...

Cool, good work man for the info, cant wait to do it!, if I get in that is :), ive written a few jazz tunes in a sort

what kind of stuff did you play for you audition?

• Advertisement

I played one of those funk solos and played a bit of swing and then just improvised for a few mins. It was all over so quick.

Well I've just come back from my audtion. It was totally fine. I really was reading to much in to it and was totally over prepared... But no harm in that. So now we wait.... 7 to 10 Days they said.....

There are only 6 places for singers:o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Best of luck.

Good work Saint!, Ill say you in. Looks like you know your stuff, they told my 7-10 days aswell!, we should have a big jam once we get in there :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence... but I'm starting to doubt it big time! I mean they only have 6 PLACES!

Ah sure you will find out soon ;) , another 4 days left untill I know the story.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Crowbar - who are you bro? This is Paddy from the PMTC. Did you get the LGSM?

Hey... just FYI.... I got my acceptance letter today. I was out for dinner... had lots of wine and came home, it was the last thing on my mind coz I was thinking it would come next week, if ever..... AND I GOT IN :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hey... just FYI.... I got my acceptance letter today. I was out for dinner... had lots of wine and came home, it was the last thing on my mind coz I was thinking it would come next week it ever..... AND I GOT IN :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Deadly!

Good luck with the year :)

Fusion
    :cool:

• Advertisement

Cheers Fusion! Whats your story, are you finished up now or have you another year to go?

Advertisement