Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History Channel Alone survival show fake.

Options
  • 20-09-2017 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I think the History Channel survival show "ALONE" is fake.

The main reason I think it's fake is that everything else on the History Channel is fake, so why would this show be any different? The boy who cried wolf. lol.

I'd like to hear other people's views of the show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was gutted when I saw your thread title as it's my favourite survival programme and I thought it had been outed as fake. I have the latest series saved for a few days off this month so no spoilers from the latest one please...

No I don't think it is, they definitely spend the time in the wilderness judging by the state of them, beard growth, weight loss etc. I don't see how they could completely fake it without other contestants kicking up stink about the prize money.

I don't think my other favourite History show, Forged in Fire, is fake either and I'm usually pretty cynical about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DinkyDinosaur

Don't be gutted if it's not real. It's just a TV show. And even if it was staged for entertainment purposes, it's still entertaining. I don't see why anyone would willingly like to be duped because they don't want it to not be true.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ah here, next thing people will be saying that Alaskan Bush Family is not real and the family don't even live in Browntown...

Don't be gutted if it's not real. It's just a TV show. And even if it was staged for entertainment purposes, it's still entertaining. I don't see why anyone would willingly like to be duped because they don't want it to not be true.
    I dont know how you made that leap from my post! From what Ive seen of the interviews on Reddit with the contestants etc it is real, almost perfect by reality tv standards. The last man standing is the winner and they dont get given food.

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont know how you made that leap from my post! From what Ive seen of the interviews on Reddit with the contestants etc it is real, almost perfect by reality tv standards. The last man standing is the winner and they dont get given food.

Well I've looked at Google maps and the locations aren't as far out in the wilderness as the show makes out. Have a look for yourself.

Also I read that they are given a ration of food.

FOOD RATIONS

5 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
    5 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
    5 lbs of biltong (protein)
    5 lbs of hard tack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
    5 lbs of chocolate (Simple/complex sugars)
    5 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
    5 lbs of gorp (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts)
    5 lbs of flour. (starch/carbs)
    2 lbs of rice or sugar and 1 lb of salt

It seems to me that the camera work was done by a professional crew not some "alone" person. In one of the scenes one of the contestants points to a crab and the camera moves. Who's moving the camera?

The leap I made was that you did very shoddy research because you knew you'd be devastated if it all turned out to be fake. So you did a half arsed job. The pay off was an enjoyable experience watching an enjoyable reality TV show. Am I right?

I mean that in a friendly banter way. I hope you don't take offense.

• Advertisement

Well I've looked at Google maps and the locations aren't as far out in the wilderness as the show makes out. Have a look for yourself.

Also I read that they are given a ration of food.

FOOD RATIONS

5 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
    5 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
    5 lbs of biltong (protein)
    5 lbs of hard tack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
    5 lbs of chocolate (Simple/complex sugars)
    5 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
    5 lbs of gorp (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts)
    5 lbs of flour. (starch/carbs)
    2 lbs of rice or sugar and 1 lb of salt
    By the way, the rules of the game are that contestants are allowed to select 10 items from the following list:

https://www.aetv.com.au/alone-full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items/
    INDIVIDUAL
    *Each participant must choose TEN total items from the following list. Selections are final. Once chosen, no items may be swapped out or replaced. These will be each participant’s unique tools used to survive in the wilderness on camera.

Shelter
    1. 12×12 ground cloth/tarp (grommets approved)
    2. 8 mm climbing rope – 10M
    3. 550 parachord – 20m
    4. One hatchet
    5. One saw
    6. One axe

Bedding
    1. One multi-seasonal sleeping bag that fits within provided backpack
    2. One bivy bag (Gore-Tex sleeping bag cover)
    3. One sleeping pad
    4. One hammock

Cooking
    1. One large (no more than 2 quart) pot, includes lid
    2. One steel frying pan
    3. One flint or ferro rod set
    4. One enamel bowl for eating
    5. One spoon
    6. One canteen or water bottle
    7. One bear canister

Hygiene
    1. One bar soap
    2. 8 oz tube of toothpaste
    3. One face flannel
    4. 40 m roll of dental floss
    5. One small bottle bio shower soap
    6. One shaving razor (and 1 blade)
    7. One towel (30” x 60”)
    8. One comb

Hunting
    1. 300-yard roll of nylon single filament fishing line and 25 assorted hooks (No lures)
    2. One primitive bow with 6 Arrows (must be predominately made of wood)
    3. One small gauge gill net (8 m x 2 m OR 1.5 m deep x 3.6 m long and 2” [50 mm] mesh)
    4. One slingshot/Catapult
    5. One net foraging bag
    6. One 3.5 lb roll of trapping wire

Food
    1. 5 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
    2. 5 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
    3. 5 lbs of biltong (protein)
    4. 5 lbs of hard tack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
    5. 5 lbs of chocolate (Simple/complex sugars)
    6. 5 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
    7. 5 lbs of gorp (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts)
    8. 5 lbs of flour (starch/carbs)
    9. 2 lbs of rice or sugar and 1 lb of salt

Tools
    1. One pocket knife
    2. One hunting knife
    3. One Leatherman multi-tool
    4. One sharpening stone
    5. One roll of duct tape or 1 roll of electrical tape
    6. One small shovel
    7. One small sewing kit
    8. One carabineer
    9. One LED flashlight
    10. One pair of ice spikes

Each item of food you listed counts as one item, so if they're taking that then its costing them a tool or a piece of clothing elsewhere from their list of 10 items, whereas you seem to think they're being dropped in with 42 lbs of food on their back, maybe check your own shoddy research first

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Quite a few survival reality shows on TV. I imagine they are fake or at least highly controlled and edited.
    Especially the ones with amateurs or large casts.

Thargor wrote: »
    By the way, the rules of the game are that contestants are allowed to select 10 items from the following list:

https://www.aetv.com.au/alone-full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items/

Each item of food you listed counts as one item, so if they're taking that then its costing them a tool or a piece of clothing elsewhere from their list of 10 items, whereas you seem to think they're being dropped in with 42 lbs of food on their back, maybe check your own shoddy research first

So instead of addressing my other points, Google Maps and the camera work, you choose to zone in on the food rations? Hmmmm.

I told you I was addressing you in a friendly banter way but you seem to be getting your knickers in a twist over the whole thing. Have you stopped to ask yourself why that is? Is it really that important? It's just a TV show.

You can call being smug and patronising "friendly banter" all you like. Dont go talking down to someone about their very shoddy research when its you that has got the complete wrong end of the stick. I chose to "zone in" on you making an ass of yourself after patronising me.

"Knickers in a twist" lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

So instead of addressing my other points, Google Maps and the camera work, you choose to zone in on the food rations? Hmmmm.

I told you I was addressing you in a friendly banter way but you seem to be getting your knickers in a twist over the whole thing. Have you stopped to ask yourself why that is? Is it really that important? It's just a TV show.

In fairness you can call it friendly banter if you want, but you were condescending and calling someone ill informed when it was you that was ill informed

• Advertisement

In the recent series there was a woman and man, the woman was building a shelter while the man had to trek to her location.
    Her setup - the shelter, the amount of logs she chopped etc, the location - all seemed very unlikely and artificial.

There's also a lot of things randomly and conveniently showing up. They'll not have eaten in days and then suddenly a dead fish will show up on the beach etc.

Snotty wrote: »
    In fairness you can call it friendly banter if you want, but you were condescending and calling someone ill informed when it was you that was ill informed

Touche. It's still fake though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Wow, a whole load of interesting things to discuss eg the choice of survival items and all we do is bicker :rolleyes:

Advertisement