Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on collecting sharp kitchen and utility knives

Options
  • 12-07-2017 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I want to start a hobby of collecting some kitchen knives and utility knives mainly for personal use at home (no not on the streets :D. I know it's illegal to carry one) and just building up a collection.

Preferably, I'd want to be going for top quality brands and will choose quality over quantity. I'll probably have to import and it's not the expense that concerns me as much as customs. Do they allow very sharp knives to be imported or are they considered deadly weapons?

If that's not an option, would there be shops in Ireland that I could buy from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

jeanjolie wrote: »
    I want to start a hobby of collecting some kitchen knives and utility knives mainly for personal use at home (no not on the streets :D. I know it's illegal to carry one) and just building up a collection.

Preferably, I'd want to be going for top quality brands and will choose quality over quantity. I'll probably have to import and it's not the expense that concerns me as much as customs. Do they allow very sharp knives to be imported or are they considered deadly weapons?

If that's not an option, would there be shops in Ireland that I could buy from?

If you want to go collecting, why not consider custom made then? Could give you a few names to look into, but try Stuart Mitchell to get started.
    There should be no worries on importing. As long as it's not on the banned list. As you point out, don't carry them down the street.
    Can give some more recommendations, but what exactly are you after? Just good production, custom, European style, Japanese etc. Our are you open to a bit of everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

You can buy Victorinox anywhere and they are brilliant at keeping their sharpness.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

There's no issue with getting kitchen cutlery sent to your home.

I like Japanese style knives, but if you want that style but more this side of the world, have a look at Will Catcheside's stuff.
    I don't know if Patrick Brennan does kitchen knives, but since he trained with Murray Carter he certainly should be able to!
    Catch Patrick on Facebook, Murray has a website (US, but trained in Japan).

You can check out the stuff on https://japanesechefsknife.com/ or https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com/en/kitchen-knives-xsl-905.html

Or indeed contact a maker and have a custom built for you.

I do use Victorinox, Dick, Sabatier, as well as Shun, Misono, etc.
    I'm eyeing the Kramer by Henkels recently, but an Ikea Slitbar is a bloody good knife too, for considerably less money.

H34891203.jpg

d97ab7554464db2b.jpg

Advertisement