Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

His full name is Transition Year Work Placement Quinlan.

On Friday morning he mentioned that "loads of Irish fans travel over the UK every weekend for matches". He then proceeds to mention it TWICE today - first about Liverpool, and then AGAIN about Everton.

My favourite line on Klopp was "it's time for the bluffing to stop" (or words to that effect) - the irony!!!!!!

Ah that last bit was the best. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. How did I forget...thanks for reminding me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Had a listen this morning, god was it awful.

I laughed so hard i nearly had to stop the car when paul came out with his witty remark that it sounded like he spent hours prepping to deliver when discussing the sky scanner story, "has sky scanner dare i say it become sky scammer?"....... Jesus christ...... He honestly thinks trying to sound like sh1tty red top headlines makes for good radio

The consumer lady they had on needs to get her head examined if she cant understand the difference between a scheduled layover and booking a seperate set of flights days apart and why that would end up more expensive

Also really enjoyed the irony of paul refferring to pro choice campaigners as fascist, someone needs to buy him a dictionary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Just listening to Tony Connolly on Newstalk, I think it was, talking about Europe, Brexit. If you ever needed to take something to go to sleep have a listen back and you'll be in the land of Nod very quickly. I had thought Connolly was an efficlient reporter but in this extended interview he just kept droning on an on. What a downer.

Mod: Not worth a new thread - Moved to NT Breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

PW going on about "Apprentices" and "serious lack of skills" in this county......
    i LOL'd, if only he could have looked himself in the mirror when delivering that line.....

Dobbo is on RTE1 now, good old dobbo, gets it done professionally 100% of the time..

Dobbo is on RTE1 now, good old dobbo, gets it done professionally 100% of the time..

Yup switching to rte1 for the forseeable future when im in the car at this time

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Forgot about Dobbo on R1, will probably give Morning Ireland more of a listen now, I'd found it too boring the last 2 years or more. RTE concentrate on unions, pay agreements and public sector issues too heavily for my interest span.

Funny one this morning with Williams. He was happy as a sand boy with a new phrase he's hatched- "bankenstein". He tried to get (the excellent) Vincent Wall on board with the phrase. VW was having none of it and scorched it pretty quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

humberklog wrote: »
    Forgot about Dobbo on R1, will probably give Morning Ireland more of a listen now, I'd found it too boring the last 2 years or more. RTE concentrate on unions, pay agreements and public sector issues too heavily for my interest span.

Funny one this morning with Williams. He was happy as a sand boy with a new phrase he's hatched- "bankenstein". He tried to get (the excellent) Vincent Wall on board with the phrase. VW was having none of it and scorched it pretty quick.

I actually caught that whilst flicking through the stations but had forgotten about it. Now that you've reminded me of it I'll never be able to forget it......

TYWPQ all over the place as usual this morning discussing anything non-rugby related; but then decided to confuse himself about where we stood on our RWC bid. First it wasn't yeah, well ya know looking good, then it didn't matter that the stadiums (not stadia) weren't built, then we weren't in a great place, then it was "but they said we could host it", then it wasn't looking good again and repeat. I now think he's only there to take the focus off how awful Williams is, or attempt to deflect from whatever idiotic comment Williams just spouted mid-show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

TYWPQ all over the place as usual this morning discussing anything non-rugby related; but then decided to confuse himself about where we stood on our RWC bid. First it wasn't yeah, well ya know looking good, then it didn't matter that the stadiums (not stadia) weren't built, then we weren't in a great place, then it was "but they said we could host it", then it wasn't looking good again and repeat. I now think he's only there to take the focus off how awful Williams is, or attempt to deflect from whatever idiotic comment Williams just spouted mid-show.

What does this mean?

TYWPQ (Quinny) again this morning talking about the FAI Cup Final and managed to make it mostly about Rugby, and his own playing days again. His "analysis" of the game was laughable and I highly suspect he didn't even see it and was pulling some cliches and soundbytes from other reports. First Dundalk were unlucky, then they were poor. Then it was into a segue about his own playing days and a story about ROG from 10+ years ago....all whilst discussing the FAI Cup Final.

Coleman signed off with "we'll see you on Friday again", so I assume TYWPQ only does Mondays and Fridays now? Coleman ended the segment by saying they'd "discuss the Ireland v SA Rugby game and the far more important WC game v Denmark on Friday" and Quinny interjected by saying "what do you mean far more important?". A rugby friendly v a Football WC Play Off? He really hasn't a clue.

And I say this as a rugby fan.

• Advertisement

Oh, and Paul Williams did a Peaky Blinders impression. It was as bad as you'd imagine it to be.

Oh, and Paul Williams did a Peaky Blinders impression. It was as bad as you'd imagine it to be.

Not nearly as funny as when he said that if people stopped using disposable cups because of the proposed new tax, it would mean that cafes would save on having to wash them up.

It took Coleman to explain the concept of "disposable cup" to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Not nearly as funny as when he said that if people stopped using disposable cups because of the proposed new tax, it would mean that cafes would save on having to wash them up.

I cringed so hard at this. He was really rude to Coleman as well - “Always showing me up” etc.

Missed that, but seriously....? How thick is he?

I cringed so hard at this. He was really rude to Coleman as well - “Always showing me up” etc.

Not showing himself up of course! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

that's one of the biggest problems with Williams, just doesn't know when to shut up and move on, always trying to get some bit of "banter" in as the last word, despite how idiotic and embarrassing it usually sounds.

I tuned in for the last 5 minutes there and it had paul chatting with a woman whos for citizens living abroad getting a vote.

Paul was woefully unprepared with any actual facts or figures and kept throwing out ridiculous hypotheticals.

This subject is one of the easiest to argue against but he coulnt even manage that, a prime example of how unprepared he was is he didn't understand that you can have an Irish passport but not be an irish citizen.......

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Caught most of the show this morning as I was travelling cross country. Do they have an editorial where both presenters take opposite sides on each issue or was Cuddihy actually being serious this morning?

PW seems to be much less loose lipped than he used to be. They're all terrified of saying anything even remotely contrarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Caught most of the show this morning as I was travelling cross country. Do they have an editorial where both presenters take opposite sides on each issue or was Cuddihy actually being serious this morning?

PW seems to be much less loose lipped than he used to be. They're all terrified of saying anything even remotely contrarian.

Why, would it be better if you had two nodding dogs agreeing with each other?

• Advertisement

In the 2 minute segment I subjected myself to this morning Williams was fairly liberal in his use of the term "Scumbag" again whilst simultaneously lavishing mountains of praise on the Gardai whilst discussing the detention of 4 men after the attempted gangland hit earlier this week. Given the Gardai's propensity to exaggerate figures, i suspect there was one lad arrested with a pea shooter.

TYWPQ is back tomorrow for the weekend sports previews at 7:30 and 8:30. I suspect he'll start his prep. on Danish soccerball at 7:25am given his usual understanding and level of knowledge on matters football, before he uses some tedious link or other to link it back to Rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

In the 2 minute segment I subjected myself to this morning Williams was fairly liberal in his use of the term "Scumbag" again whilst simultaneously lavishing mountains of praise on the Gardai whilst discussing the detention of 4 men after the attempted gangland hit earlier this week. Given the Gardai's propensity to exaggerate figures, i suspect there was one lad arrested with a pea shooter.

TYWPQ is back tomorrow for the weekend sports previews at 7:30 and 8:30. I suspect he'll start his prep. on Danish soccerball at 7:25am given his usual understanding and level of knowledge on matters football, before he uses some tedious link or other to link it back to Rugby.

What's TYWPQ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Jobs OXO wrote:
    What's TYWPQ?

One poster's personal nickname for Quinny. It hasn't really caught on, despite repeated usage.

One poster's personal nickname for Quinny. It hasn't really caught on, despite repeated usage.

Believe it or not I don't actually care whether it catches on or not!

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    What's TYWPQ?

Transition Year Work Placement Quinlan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,133 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It amuses me, yes.

Me too

• Advertisement

I listened for about an hour this morning specifically to hear TYWPQ do the soccerball (for the laugh). As I predicted yesterday and within 30 seconds of discussing soccer he went into a "When I was playing rugby" talk. Coleman opened and lead on this section and Quinlan is basically hand-held through it, throwing out cliches and soundbytes like confetti at a wedding. They discussed the team and TYWPQ was confused as to why "the Rugby team can name their team at 2pm yesterday but the soccer team can't do it until tomorrow?". Maybe it's a different sport Alan? Coleman then asked him what he thought the team would be and again TYWPQ chopped and changed his mind several times throughout the conversation as Coleman interjected and tried to help him. It was like this:

Q: They'll definitely have a front 2
    C: I doubt they'll do that as it's an away game and the imperative is not to lose.
    Q: Oh yeah, they probably won't go with 2 up front.

Q: Midfield will stay the same.
    C: We could see changes in midfield maybe?
    Q: Yeah probably some changes in midfield.

(they're examples, not verbatim quotes btw)

He clearly struggled with the players names and basically knew of one Danish player. I'd say I know more about farming than he does about football; and I know next to nothing about farming. He's so out of his depth discussing anything but rugby I actually feel kinda sorry for him at this stage. The 8:30 Quinny Segment was a pre-recorded interview from yesterday with Jean DeVilliers (South African Rugby player) and basically said nothing. Bland questions interspersed with cliches and lots of umms, yeahs etc.

Then Coleman made the mistake of asking Williams his opinion about the Licence Fee and Williams went off on a spiel that he lost himself in and was rescued by Coleman mid-sentence just as he said: "BUT". No doubt we were spared some priceless piece of Williams wisdom.

Kieran Cuddihy (who I normally don't mind) also said "PACIFIC-ly" this morning in a pre-recorded interview. FFS. National radio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I listened for about an hour this morning specifically to hear TYWPQ do the soccerball (for the laugh). As I predicted yesterday and within 30 seconds of discussing soccer he went into a "When I was playing rugby" talk. Coleman opened and lead on this section and Quinlan is basically hand-held through it, throwing out cliches and soundbytes like confetti at a wedding. They discussed the team and TYWPQ was confused as to why "the Rugby team can name their team at 2pm yesterday but the soccer team can't do it until tomorrow?". Maybe it's a different sport Alan? Coleman then asked him what he thought the team would be and again TYWPQ chopped and changed his mind several times throughout the conversation as Coleman interjected and tried to help him. It was like this:

Q: They'll definitely have a front 2
    C: I doubt they'll do that as it's an away game and the imperative is not to lose.
    Q: Oh yeah, they probably won't go with 2 up front.

Q: Midfield will stay the same.
    C: We could see changes in midfield maybe?
    Q: Yeah probably some changes in midfield.

(they're examples, not verbatim quotes btw)

He clearly struggled with the players names and basically knew of one Danish player. I'd say I know more about farming than he does about football; and I know next to nothing about farming. He's so out of his depth discussing anything but rugby I actually feel kinda sorry for him at this stage. The 8:30 Quinny Segment was a pre-recorded interview from yesterday with Jean DeVilliers (South African Rugby player) and basically said nothing. Bland questions interspersed with cliches and lots of umms, yeahs etc.

Then Coleman made the mistake of asking Williams his opinion about the Licence Fee and Williams went off on a spiel that he lost himself in and was rescued by Coleman mid-sentence just as he said: "BUT". No doubt we were spared some priceless piece of Williams wisdom.

Kieran Cuddihy (who I normally don't mind) also said "PACIFIC-ly" this morning in a pre-recorded interview. FFS. National radio!

Butterski, you seem like a decent chap, and your comments are interesting, but will you please stop referring to Alan Quinlan as TYWPQ. It's not funny; it's just annoying.

Butterski, you seem like a decent chap, and your comments are interesting, but will you please stop referring to Alan Quinlan as TYWPQ. It's not funny; it's just annoying.

No, sorry. It's amusing to me - and others too.

I don't ask you (or anyone else) to stop posting things I don't find funny.

No, sorry. It's amusing to me - and others too.

I don't ask you (or anyone else) to stop posting things I don't find funny.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to come across as an a**hole.

I really wish Williams would refrain from any sort of banter. It's obvious that he doesn't give a second thought to what he is about to say, and when he does speak, it comes out in a clumsy, cringe worthy manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

You only have to put up with a Transition Year Work Placement student for one week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Been mainly listening to Morning Ireland or podcasts in recent weeks, but caught it this morning and it was pretty good (Quinlan is still awful though). Sarah McInerney brings a better vibe than Williams, and she and Coleman seem to have good chemistry. I think it'd be a lot better if she replaced Williams.

Edit: doh wrong thread

Been mainly listening to Morning Ireland or podcasts in recent weeks, but caught it this morning and it was pretty good (Quinlan is still awful though). Sarah McInerney brings a better vibe than Williams, and she and Coleman seem to have good chemistry. I think it'd be a lot better if she replaced Williams.

I’d hate to hear her with Williams though. She’s not the most patient and dealing with his stupidity could see blood on the walls of Newstalk Towers.

Then again...

I’d hate to hear her with Williams though. She’s not the most patient and dealing with his stupidity could see blood on the walls of Newstalk Towers.

Then again...

She’s 100 times more articulate than Paul Williams (which wouldn’t be hard ) and has a better insight on things - you get the feeling there’s a bit of intelligence going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Then again...

Be like the Ivan/Claire Byrne dynamic at breakfast, to the power of ten...

She’s 100 times more articulate than Paul Williams (which wouldn’t be hard ) and has a better insight on things - you get the feeling there’s a bit of intelligence going on

However she's unable to be objective on specific issues and losses the plot completely making a fool of herself

VinLieger wrote: »
    However she's unable to be objective on specific issues and losses the plot completely making a fool of herself

Yes, she suffers from poli-itis: Basically she has become so wrapped up in her own views that they've become a part of her, and she can't bear listening to anyone who disagrees with her. This is a very common ailment on the political left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not like the tolerant and open political right, eh? :rolleyes:

not like the tolerant and open political right, eh? :rolleyes:

Depends what you mean by 'right'. Fine Gael and Sinn Fein agree on nearly everything so I wouldn't consider Fine Gael 'right'. If you mean the so-called alt-right then I agree with you.

• Advertisement

Fine Gael and Sinn Fein agree on nearly everything

uh huh..................................................................

Depends what you mean by 'right'. Fine Gael and Sinn Fein agree on nearly everything so I wouldn't consider Fine Gael 'right'. If you mean the so-called alt-right then I agree with you.

Seriously though if your views are so removed from the mainstream that FG and SF are indistinguishable specks off in the distance you must be standing beside Mussolini or Mao.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Seriously though if your views are so removed from the mainstream that FG and SF are indistinguishable specks off in the distance you must be standing beside Mussolini or Mao.

Both are completely indistuingishable. Both are driven by the marxist slogan of 'equality'. Fine Gael, the supposed right wing hawks, brought in bloody gender quotas. Both are in hoc to militant Trade Unions. Both support gay marriage. What are the differences?

Both are completely indistuingishable. Both are driven by the marxist slogan of 'equality'. Fine Gael, the supposed right wing hawks, brought in bloody gender quotas. Both are in hoc to militant Trade Unions. Both support gay marriage. What are the differences?

Maybe things like the yawning chasm that divides their taxation, welfare and housing policies? You know - the stuff that goes into budgets and makes the country work. Whenever I read online (and it's always online) how those concerns are trumped by a reactionary attitude towards feminism or LGBTQ, all I can think is, those people must have have very little invested in this society and f*** all at stake if that's what exercises them.

Also, if you have to use commas around words like equality and you're still harping on about gay marriage you're not going to find much to like about society going forward. Perhaps start looking into building a time machine.

So Chris and Sarah both gone in 1 week, how the hell does williams still have a job?

VinLieger wrote: »
    So Chris and Sarah both gone in 1 week, how the hell does williams still have a job?

He's getting worse. A few days ago Coleman was criticizing Tony O'Donoghue for his interview with Martin O Neil. O Donoghue asked O'Neill if the match was a humiliation, and Coleman felt he went too far. Then Williams says something like "It's like when Charlie Bird asked a man whose house was surrounded by water if he was in a bad way". Cue awkward silence. But then he bloody repeated the joke after the 8 o clock news and more silence! He has no self-awareness at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This morning they were discussing allegations and who a texter should contact as the texter said they had proof of auctioneer quoting bogus bids. Williams lit up “oh contact us on 53106, we’re investigative journalists.....”

Poor Shane started to laugh and said the texter was looking for the contact number for the authority who oversee this area.

Shane Coleman is a very patient man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Shane just got his arse handed to him by John Taylor (Lord Kilclooney) there. Ran rings around him. Must have melted his Fianna Fail barstool republican head.

I'm away at the moment and though I knew Chris had left the earlier comment that Sarah has left was news to me. Where did she go to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'm away at the moment and though I knew Chris had left the earlier comment that Sarah has left was news to me. Where did she go to?

TV3, weekend current affairs/news show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement