Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

liam7831 wrote: »
    I'm more into the darts myself

At least you're watching proper men then, you wouldn't see one of them falling over in a heap like a baby if they got a dart to the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Shane Coleman tripping over himself as usual, walking on egg shells any time Colette Fitzpatrick is in studio, so as not to offend her. He really wasn't gonna win with Nollaig Na Mban, was he. And Quinlan literally phoning it in, and not long out of the bed by the sound of it.

Come on Newstalk, the answer is simple, Coleman & Cuddihy. And let Oisin do the sport. Would be a great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Tried it again for a few minutes this morning - already switched off and silence is golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Shane Coleman tripping over himself as usual, walking on egg shells any time Colette Fitzpatrick is in studio, so as not to offend her. He really wasn't gonna win with Nollaig Na Mban, was he. And Quinlan literally phoning it in, and not long out of the bed by the sound of it.

Come on Newstalk, the answer is simple, Coleman & Cuddihy. And let Oisin do the sport. Would be a great show.

Shane said something to Quinlan along the lines of 'thanks for taking our phone call' I wonder was there a hint of sarcasm there...and drawing attention to the fact that he's not in the studio. They never thank their other guests for taking a phone call and most of them are not on the newstalk payroll unlike Quinlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

had the misfortune to be stuck on m3 tailback this morning so got to listen to more of the show than I normally would.
    7:04 witty "bants" exchange about Nollaig na mBan, do you still have your Xmas tree up Collette?
    8:06 same witty "bants" exchange same question re the tree

also Quinny only came on at 8:20 to do the rugby, I turned off at that stage as Lotti Ryan was reviewing who makes her the best cup of tea or some such which I daren't miss

• Advertisement

Shane said something to Quinlan along the lines of 'thanks for taking our phone call' I wonder was there a hint of sarcasm there...and drawing attention to the fact that he's not in the studio. They never thank their other guests for taking a phone call and most of them are not on the newstalk payroll unlike Quinlan.

Collete normally says "Thanks for coming in to us Alan" which I always thought odd. I'm going to start saying that to my colleagues

Collete normally says "Thanks for coming in to us Alan" which I always thought odd. I'm going to start saying that to my colleagues

Shane Coleman was just about to say "Thank you for taking our call, Alan" until he remembered that he was (apparently) one of the show's presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

The next JNLR will surely be carnage for this show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in.

They just need "It's only Ray Parlour" on the team ,he knows how to wack them in from outside the box :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-DykIqMl0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

had the misfortune to be stuck on m3 tailback this morning so got to listen to more of the show than I normally would.
    7:04 witty "bants" exchange about Nollaig na mBan, do you still have your Xmas tree up Collette?
    8:06 same witty "bants" exchange same question re the tree

also Quinny only came on at 8:20 to do the rugby, I turned off at that stage as Lotti Ryan was reviewing who makes her the best cup of tea or some such which I daren't miss

So, what was the verdict? Who makes Ms Ryan the best cup of tea?

• Advertisement

Lt Dan wrote: »
    So, what was the verdict? Who makes Ms Ryan the best cup of tea?

the lad that co-hosts the show with her when the real "stars" are off. Didn't catch his name but he did do the Ravee Friday set which I look forward to @ 6am each Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I turn it into a positive as I also have zero interest. I like to get involved in the water cooler conversations in work, with the "see the match last night" crowd, with whatever tidbit of soccer trivia has managed to sneak into my brain following the morning bulletin. Today's was " some come back from The Arsenal last night" I always get funny looks as they know I haven't a clue

Thankfully there is only one lad into English Wendy ball in the office. He's a big fan of mcgregor as well and again he is the only one so it doesn't get discussed at all.

Joe having a attack on Brolly here. Says Brolly quoted him for things he said during the Mick O'Connell interview which were actually said by Ger.

I'm not sure why everybody made such a big deal about that interview. Mick O'Connell was very scorpy, he could have almost have been described as a "hostile witness". But it was entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Ivan was on the Ray D'Arcy tv show says he's available for work .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

vince wrote: »

with a bit of luck he will replace him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm not sure why everybody made such a big deal about that interview. Mick O'Connell was very scorpy, he could have almost have been described as a "hostile witness". But it was entertaining.

Anyone who knows anything at all about Mick O'Connell could have predicted the interview would not go well. He never had a reputation for suffering fools gladly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

vince wrote: »
    Ivan said he didn't like working mornings, he found the 5am start tough going...... so I think the perfect solution to all our problems would be to get the old team back together again - Ivan & Chris (4 - 7pm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Williams back this morning. Even more smug than normal.

Someone posted here months ago guaranteeing he would not be back after the new year. That poster lied to us.

gimmick wrote: »
    Williams back this morning. Even more smug than normal. Someone posted here months ago guaranteeing he would not be back after the new year. That poster lied to us.

You'd wonder how long he is going to get away with his slights on the shinners.. Another thinly veiled one this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Anyone who knows anything at all about Mick O'Connell could have predicted the interview would not go well. He never had a reputation for suffering fools gladly.

Was his own man. ok. One of the years when he was captain and Kerry won, it is reported he left the Sam behind under the bench in the dressing room.

Did they ask him why Kerry couldn't beat Down? Story at the time was that O'Connell was very religious: his furious reaction to the suggestion that he was "passionate" might bear that out. Anyway, Joe Lennon his immediate opponent took advantage of his trait by turning the air blue with profanities and "durty words" whenever the ball came near them. Totally put him off his game. And at a time when midfield was pivotal,.... if you lost it, you lost the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jesus have they no researchers left in breakfast. Big piece on property tax and how people who had exemptions for buying a new property since 2013 start paying now, eh no it was extended to 2019! Amateur hour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Now Colette and Scooby Doo McDonald sniping at each other followed by a big sigh from Williams, I'm out. It is so bad, hopefully they read the survey feedback and do something cause I slated breakfast but I doubt it as I emailed a few weeks after it started and nothing changed. They've ruined my morning listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

pc7 wrote: »
    Now Colette and Scooby Doo McDonald sniping at each other followed by a big sigh from Williams, I'm out. It is so bad, hopefully they read the survey feedback and do something cause I slated breakfast but I doubt it as I emailed a few weeks after it started and nothing changed. They've ruined my morning listening.

All I was hearing continuously was "sorry collette"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Poor shane and collette are very upset this morning with trump for attacking a media outlet and not playing by the medias rules. Boo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

neris wrote: »
    Poor shane and collette are very upset this morning with trump for attacking a media outlet and not playing by the medias rules. Boo hoo

Wasn't Trump himself acting the pussy about the rule-breaking media yesterday?

They work in current affairs. When the leader of the free world acts like a baby in a wet nappy and refuses to engage with an entity like CNN, Coleman and Fitzpatrick wouldn't be saying much for themselves if they just shrugged it off with a "meh".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Horse84

Even Stephen hunt was taking the piss out of quinlan this morning about his holidays. It's actually laughable that they have to bring in hunt to talk about soccer as their 'sports guy' hasn't a notion himself.

Caught the tail end of an interview with former spook Annie Machon this morning. She was on to give her take on the "Kompromat" dossier. A weird choice. One would have thought her past with the 9/11 truther movement and her association with professional whack-a-doo David Shayler might undermine her credentials. Apparently not in the eyes of the Breakfast show production team.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/politics/2014/04/meet-no-planers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

jooksavage wrote: »
    Wasn't Drumpf himself acting the pussy about the rule-breaking media yesterday?

They work in current affairs. When the leader of the free world acts like a baby in a wet nappy and refuses to engage with an entity like CNN, Coleman and Fitzpatrick wouldn't be saying much for themselves if they just shrugged it off with a "meh".

From what I heard of the interview I thought the journalist was being quite rude himself.

I don't understand the sympathy for these media chains. CNN, Fox etc. are all mega corporations who like to push agendas and sway public opinion. It was not as if Trump dismissed some up and coming local reporter as Collette was trying to portray it.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    From what I heard of the interview I thought the journalist was being quite rude himself.

I don't understand the sympathy for these media chains. CNN, Fox etc. are all mega corporations who like to push agendas and sway public opinion. It was not as if Trump dismissed some up and coming local reporter as Collette was trying to portray it.

It's not a case of having sympathy for media chains. Unless we want every press conference crammed with cowering sycophants, Trump is going to have to engage with media outlets that report critically on his presidency.

Plucky local reporter Collette doesn't have a White House press pass. Like it or not, we depend massively on mainstream media and the access those companies provide to the corridors of power. This line that every media outlet has an agenda is being used to discredit good reporting along with the bad. What's the alternative? We plug out, turn inwards and get our news from Reddit and 4Chan?

Trump's behavior on Wednesday was disturbing - he looked every bit the two-bit autocrat. Indeed, Turkey's own president Erdogan was thrilled by Trump's CNN putdown.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I don't understand the sympathy for these media chains. CNN, Fox etc. are all mega corporations who like to push agendas and sway public opinion.

This would be my opinion as well. Commercial companies, who purport to report the news truthfully and fairly, but in reality are just pushing the agenda of their owners. That reporter is just a puppet, and should not be defended for doing his master's work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement