Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acclaimed rappers you don't like

Options
  • 21-02-2014 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

A favourite thread of mine on this forum was the "unpopular hip-hop opinions" thread ages back, so I thought I'd start one in a similar vein.

Anyone have any trouble getting into a rapper that everyone else raves about?

For me, it's Kendrick (bring on the hate!). He's incredibly popular here and pretty much everywhere, but I've tried to get into his music on several occasions and it still hasn't "affected me" like other hip-hop has. Listening to good kid, m.A.A.d. city right now (admittedly only my second or third listen) and 'good kid' is the first song to really grab me, and I think that's mostly due to the funky "we live in Brooklyn baby" interpolation. He's clearly technically gifted, but to me he sounds very robotic, unusual cadence and delivery (these may well be part of the reason why everyone loves him!), he's certainly got his own style but I just don't think it's for me sadly :(

So, what popular rapper(s) do you not "get"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If I had to chose between a night with Keira Knightley and an opportunity to batter Aesop Rock, I would go with the latter. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I can't get into J. Cole at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

J. Cole - He is an excellent rapper, I'm just not motivated to listen to the songs he makes. I dont think that what he makes suits him.

Mentioned on another thread, SchoolBoy Q, I dont see the big swing about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

BadCompany wrote: »
    For me, it's Kendrick (bring on the hate!). He's incredibly popular here and pretty much everywhere, but I've tried to get into his music on several occasions and it still hasn't "affected me" like other hip-hop has. Listening to good kid, m.A.A.d. city right now (admittedly only my second or third listen) and 'good kid' is the first song to really grab me, and I think that's mostly due to the funky "we live in Brooklyn baby" interpolation. He's clearly technically gifted, but to me he sounds very robotic, unusual cadence and delivery (these may well be part of the reason why everyone loves him!), he's certainly got his own style but I just don't think it's for me sadly :(

So, what popular rapper(s) do you not "get"?

It took me a while to get into GKMC, but once it clicked with me, I absolutely loved it. Probably the best album since MBDTF for me and I don't think it's been surpassed by anything I've heard since. Of course, I'm not saying you'll have the same experience, but I'd say give it another go and maybe check out Section 80 as well. I could post a few videos, but I don't think this is the thread for that.

For me (and I know this will probably get me hate in here), it's RZA. He's a great producer, no doubt, but I've never really liked his rapping, at least not as much as any other member of the Wu-Tang. There are verses I like of his, but he's always sounded a bit mumbley to me or something. It doesn't ruin any Wu stuff for me at all, but I could usually do without him.

Danny Brown has never clicked with me either, but I probably just haven't listened to him enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I really dislike eminen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

It took me a while to get into GKMC, but once it clicked with me, I absolutely loved it. Probably the best album since MBDTF for me and I don't think it's been surpassed by anything I've heard since. Of course, I'm not saying you'll have the same experience, but I'd say give it another go and maybe check out Section 80 as well. I could post a few videos, but I don't think this is the thread for that.

For me (and I know this will probably get me hate in here), it's RZA. He's a great producer, no doubt, but I've never really liked his rapping, at least not as much as any other member of the Wu-Tang. There are verses I like of his, but he's always sounded a bit mumbley to me or something. It doesn't ruin any Wu stuff for me at all, but I could usually do without him.

Danny Brown has never clicked with me either, but I probably just haven't listened to him enough.

I have Section 80 as well and felt similar to GKMC! I may revisit again in a month or so, I feel like I'm missing out on this generation's big thing!

I can kind of see why someone wouldn't be pushed on RZA as a rapper. I find his verse on 'Reunited' in particular quite out of place and bordering on annoying for some reason (the one that starts "The riddler, funny-bone tickler..."). Having said that though, I can't imagine anyone else belting out the chorus of 'Bring Da Ruckus" :D

I can't get into J. Cole at all.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    J. Cole - He is an excellent rapper, I'm just not motivated to listen to the songs he makes. I dont think that what he makes suits him.

J. Cole was a guy I looked into around the same time as I was discovering Section 80 and I actually found Cole World to be a more enjoyable listen. A bit forgettable at the same time though, not sure if I revisited it much after that other than a track here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

JayZ, I just don't get the appeal:confused:
    That latest Beyoncé song with him his just ****e, what's all the "surfboard" crack about?

Mrs W wrote: »
    JayZ, I just don't get the appeal:confused:
    That latest Beyoncé song with him his just ****e, what's all the "surfboard" crack about?

I haven't enjoyed Jay-Z much recently, but I think Beyonce's album is pretty good. Jay's verse on that song is a bit bewildering to me because of the Ike/Tina reference, just because Beyonce's album addresses a lot of feminist themes and then he comes on with a reference to Ike Turner kicking the sh*t out of Tina. :confused: Worse things have been said in hip-hop though, I think.

I think the "surfboard" bit is a sexual innuendo. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Big Sean
    2 Chains
    Lil Wayne
    Rick Ross - ok he has a few bars but mostly garbage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

I think the "surfboard" bit is a sexual innuendo. ;)

It's not the meaning but the way she says "surfboard, surfboard" in a really strange voice like it's meant to mean something!

I really dislike eminen!!

Is there anything in particular that puts you off him? I dislike his more "goofy" songs, for example I dislike 'Without Me' and don't even get me started on 'Fack'. But for me these are more than made up for by gems like 'Just Don't Give A F*ck', 'Brain Damage', 'Criminal', etc. - in fact almost every song off his first two albums. Though if you mean post-8 Mile Eminem, I'd be inclined to agree with you, haven't warmed to much of his stuff since then really.

Mrs W wrote: »
    It's not the meaning but the way she says "surfboard, surfboard" in a really strange voice like it's meant to mean something!

Don't think it's meant to mean anything deeper than the obvious. Just unusual phrasing for the sake of it. It's memorable at least.

J. Cole was a guy I looked into around the same time as I was discovering Section 80 and I actually found Cole World to be a more enjoyable listen. A bit forgettable at the same time though, not sure if I revisited it much after that other than a track here and there.

I just find him very 'meh'. There's nothing about him that really makes me want to go back and listen again, nothing about him that I find particularly compelling. In comparison to someone Kendrick, I find him quite dull actually.

weemcd wrote: »
    Big Sean
    2 Chains
    Lil Wayne
    Rick Ross - ok he has a few bars but mostly garbage

Are the likes of Big Sean and 2 Chainz critically acclaimed though?? From what I can tell, they don't seem to have much respect in the community. I don't mind Rick Ross, I think he's a pretty sub-par rapper with very limited ability but he still manages to make some decent music. As for Weezy I'm the same, don't really get it. 'A Milli' is fire, but I've not heard much more from him that did anything for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Besides the obvious ones:

KRS-One - I respect him for what he did in the 80s and early 90s but dude needs to let it go and stop releasing repetitive bullsh*t every damn year.

Kno - Great producer, terrible MC.

Aesop Rock - His delivery is a chore to listen to for over half an hour at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Are the likes of Big Sean and 2 Chainz critically acclaimed though?? From what I can tell, they don't seem to have much respect in the community.

They seem to be pretty popular right now for some unknown reason, but you are right acclaim probably isn't the right word for them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dre
    Snoop
    The Game
    J cole
    B-Real

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Lil Wayne
    Rick Ross
    Young jeezy
    Wiz khalifa
    Currensy
    Ab soul
    French Montana
    Big Sean
    2chainz

Loads more , there from the top of my head.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Dre
    Snoop
    The Game
    J cole
    B-Real

Yeah, I suppose a few of the above wouldn't be very technically adept MCs, no arguments there. For example, I don't think Dre would make it into many people's top 5 (or even top 20) rappers based on his actual rapping ability but the man makes some high quality music all the same. I'd liken him to Kanye in that regard, though I would say that Kanye is a far superior rapper and lyricist (in that... he writes his own lyrics).

But I suppose what I'm talking about is rappers whose music hasn't really grabbed my interest full stop. While I've admitted above that Dre mightn't be a great rapper, I'd be highly surprised if you don't ever give The Chronic or 2001 a spin?? Feel free to correct me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 111 ✭✭SPS1

Childish Gambino & that other Chance The Rapper guy. I can't for the life of me see the hype.

I was never big into Public Enemys music, but Chuck D is some guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Tupac - I like some of his 'popular' songs but I've no time for most of his full albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Lil Wayne
    LL cool jay
    Jay z
    Kayne west
    Master p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Tupac - I like some of his 'popular' songs but I've no time for most of his full albums.

But you like "I am a generic rapper" gibbs? His songs feel like that canibus concept where the lyrics could be listened to in pretty much any order.

For me its Eminem, his bad albums pretty much outnumber his good ones at this stage and a lot of his good ones are dated now and the shock has long left. He still has some great work probably better to say I think he is overhyped now as opposed to saying I don't like his music.

That's another for my list, I could take or leave an awful lot of his material to be honest. I appreciate that he tackled a lot of different issues in his songs which is refreshing, but there's something about a lot of his music that I'm just a bit "numb" to, for whatever reason.
    For me its Eminem, his bad albums pretty much outnumber his good ones at this stage and a lot of his good ones are dated now and the shock has long left. He still has some great work probably better to say I think he is overhyped now as opposed to saying I don't like his music.

I find it hard to disagree with much of that! I suppose any rapper that gets the kind of start he gets is always going to be hyped to the high heavens. Wasn't he the highest selling artist of the '00s? Some achievement for a hip-hop artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

snoop dogg
    chance the rapper
    schoolboy Q ,
    Eminem (song decent tracks , mostly sh1te though, merely my opinion).
    kanye west
    Drake (if you can actually call him a rapper ).
    method man
    Eazy E
    dmx

again , merely my opinion

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

KRS-One - I respect him for what he did in the 80s and early 90s but dude needs to let it go and stop releasing repetitive bullsh*t every damn year.

I'm with you on this, he has some great moments, his album I Got Next is excellent....although it's the production credits and guest appearances that really make it.
    In small doses he is fine. But gets way too preachy.....after watching the Ice T documentary, I grew a bigger dislike for him. There is also the recorded phone call with one of his artists that was leaked a few months back which knocked him down a few more pegs in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm with you on this, he has some great moments, his album I Got Next is excellent....although it's the production credits and guest appearances that really make it.
    In small doses he is fine. But gets way too preachy.....after watching the Ice T documentary, I grew a bigger dislike for him. There is also the recorded phone call with one of his artists that was leaked a few months back which knocked him down a few more pegs in my estimation.

Despised KRS after watching the art of rap, not quite sure why, just do

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Despised KRS after watching the art of rap, not quite sure why, just do

He just gave his narrow opinion as absolute fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I dislike all mainstream rappers

Advertisement