Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USS Enterprise visit!

Options
  • 31-03-2012 8:14pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Courtesy of the boys in the Aviation forum (:eek:)
    01 Sep 12
    USS Enterprise TBC
    CVN 65
    Dublin
    Navy/Notre Dame game

http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp
    Don't mention the juice she runs on...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

was tied up across the dock from it a few years ago in Bahrain.had a chance to have a look around it but knocked it back to go on the lash up the road,raging i didn't now,can't see it going alongside in dublin reckon it will anchor in dub bay like the JFK did,crew of 5000 i think so lock up your women

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

OMGOMGOMG.

Wowzers. I couldn't get tickets to the game, but this might make up for it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

PLEASE INTERNET GODS, PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!!

internet gods say no. :mad:

Ah well... there will definately be one ship from the USN here that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Courtesy of the boys in the Aviation forum (:eek:)
    01 Sep 12
    USS Enterprise TBC
    CVN 65
    Dublin
    Navy/Notre Dame game

http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp
    Don't mention the juice she runs on...
    Is captain Kirk onboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I toured the USS Growler about 15 years ago. It was the only time I was aboard a nuclear ship.
    http://www.wa3key.com/growler.html

I'd go to see the Enterprise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Wasn't there a Navy American Football game in Croker back in 96 when the JFK visited?

I see this was recommended as far back as 2010

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2010/09/exercising-soft-power-in-2012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

maybe we can sink this one instead of just damaging it :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Back in the mid 1990's I spent three weeks on board the John F Kennedy in the Med.

It really IS a different world on a big carrier.

Night operations were totally unreal and cannot be simulated, no matter how you try - a night-landing in a Mohawk was the scariest thing I've ever done in my entire life.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

tac foley wrote: »
    Back in the mid 1990's I spent three weeks on board the John F Kennedy in the Med.

It really IS a different world on a big carrier.

Night operations were totally unreal and cannot be simulated, no matter how you try - a night-landing in a Mohawk was the scariest thing I've ever done in my entire life.

tac

Don't most naval aviators say that the stress of night landings far outweigh any of the mission dangers. That included attacks on Hanoi during Vietnam. Hats off to those lads. Liathroidi big enough to carry in a wheel barrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

The website in the OP has been changed. It now says the USS Fort McHenry will visit Dublin for the game. How reliable is the website? Is there much chance of anything coming over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Seawaves is THE reliable source in these matters. Its possibly a better option, security wise to park a non nuke ship in the irish sea. The Crustys are most active on the east cost/dublin bay area.

SHIP_LSD-43_USS_Fort_McHenry_Haiti_2009_lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

This ship ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fort_McHenry

I was hoping for something massive, blocking the horizon. This one looks relatively small. So, there's no aircraft carrier coming then ?

z

I wouldn't be surprised if this one even managed to tie up at the Cruise liner berth in the North Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

If the USS Enterprise DID ever manage to tie up in the main harbour, it's Ireland that would drift away when she cast off...

Just imagine the sheer power of this thing....95,000 tons steaming along at over 38 mph. That's substantially faster than most water-skiers EVER go.

...and with more operational combat aircraft o/b than most countries have in their entire air force.

tac

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/uss-fort-mchenry.html

Lottery for those who want to visit it.

SOvie...er, sorry Russian Uladoy Destroyer Vice Admiral Kukakov will be arriving in Cobh on Friday morning too.

SOvie...er, sorry Russian Uladoy Destroyer Vice Admiral Kukakov will be arriving in Cobh on Friday morning too.

Don't suppose you know if there'll be public visits allowed?

I've been aboard RN, USN and French Navy ships.... Never a Russian one though, and I have a new car just itching to stretch her legs on a proper cruise!!

gatecrash wrote: »

I've been aboard RN, USN and French Navy ships.... Never a Russian one though, and I have a new car just itching to stretch her legs on a proper cruise!!

The russians are usually quite welcoming, though this is only their 4th visit in 30 years, and the last 2 were in the Training ship "Kashan". When it was in portsmouth last weekend it was open to the public.

I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

She's a mean looker; top one different ship, same class
    800px-AdmiralVinogradov2009.jpg
    800px-Vice_Admiral_Kulakov-2.jpg

• Advertisement

The russians are usually quite welcoming, though this is only their 4th visit in 30 years, and the last 2 were in the Training ship "Kashan". When it was in portsmouth last weekend it was open to the public.

I'll keep you posted.

cheers Goldie¬!

ETA pushed back to 1200 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Looking out from Blackrock I can see it steaming in to Dublin port right now. Can't be more than 20 minutes from docking.

Unless of course this is a different vessel and we are being invaded. :p

z

gatecrash wrote: »

Port of CorkPortofCork
    We've just been told that “Vice-Admiral Kulakov” will open to the public on Sat from 10am-12pm and 3pm-5pm.And again on Sun from 10-11.30am

Looks like a road trip is in order!!!

Anyone wanna tag along for the spin and visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Would love to see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Hey can anyone tell me if you can just arrive and get on the Vice-Admiral Kulakov, or is it a ticket based system like USS Fort McHenry?

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Hey can anyone tell me if you can just arrive and get on the Vice-Admiral Kulakov, or is it a ticket based system like USS Fort McHenry?

Going by this
    Yes “Vice-Admiral Kulakov” will be open to the public on Saturday, 1 September from 10:00 – 12:00hrs and from 15:00 – 17:00hrs. She will be open to the public again on Sunday, 2 September from 10:00 – 11:30hrs. She is berthed at the Cobh cruise terminal.

i'd say turn up

Yup, looks that way. Locals are delighted, the Russian crew are not fond of keeping cash in their pockets, and have spent more locally than any of the visiting Cruise Liners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

that american navy ship will probably berthed in around 29 berth alex quay west,it's right in the corner of the port ,behind p+o if you're looking from the south,you might be able to the upper parts of the ship but generally if it's located at berth 29 it's for security.no crusty's will get near it,garda in boats,on the quay,port security and a few of army/navy vechicals oh yeah and a course the ship's own security.government doesn't want any trouble cause to a american navy ship.

Advertisement