Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are you currently listening to?

• 26-11-2007 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

it would be nice if this was a more active forum, so in a feeble attempt to inject some life into it (and to expose myself to some new good stuff), post up what is currently in your cd player or on your turntable...

i've only been into jazz and blues about 3/4 years so i have a small enough collection which i'm looking to expand. so much good stuff out there waiting to be discovered.

Myself, i'm currently listening to Lou Donaldson's 'Mr. Shing-a-ling', along with Dexter Gordon's 'Our man in Paris'....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Pimpoint - pim and soil sessions
    Japanese jazz , great stuff , really good party music , check this and their other stuff out
    also Donald Byrd - A new perspective
    have you listened to the Impressed with.. vol1 and 2 series by Gilles Peterson (best of British Jazz) superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭loadabollocks

no i haven't hear any of that stuff. japanese jazz eh? interesting.
    I've only come across Giles Petersen once or twice. come to think of it British jazz is something i have heard very little of. looking forward to checking this stuff out. nice 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Been near-obsessed with Andrew Hill for some time, get Smokestack (Blue Note) if you can - Andrew Hill (piano), Eddie Khan and Richard Davis (Dbl Basses), Roy Haynes (drums). A very unusual quartet altogether.

What japanese jazz have you been listening to? Did you see the Hiromi thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055175661

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

yeah i've heard of Andrew Hill is he a beboper? i'm quite partial to the bebop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

too much jazz talk not enough blues: :p

I'm listening to Mississippi John Hurt, Skip James, some of the more bluesy Doc Watson, Son House among others... that's what's grabbing my attention these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

The complete song book collection by Ella Fitzgerald. Even when she talks she sounds amazing!

some interesting stuff there....christmas is coming :)

i've recently become a huge fan of Freddy Hubbard. Can anyone recommend any particular albums of Freddy's or with Freddy on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ladysingsdablus

Drinking strong coffee and listening to the Riverside recordings of Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane..Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Paul Butterfield Blues Band - "East West"

Gary Moore "Blues for Greenie" (dedicated to Peter Green)

Alexis Korner Blues Incorporated

Ivo Perelmann - "Black on White" (free jazz)

Peter Brotzmann - "Machine Gun" ( " ")

Kannon wrote: »
    yeah i've heard of Andrew Hill is he a beboper? i'm quite partial to the bebop.
    Well he's a sort of a mix of hard bop and free jazz, kind of hard to define really. He's got a really odd style, but worth checking out Smokestack, Point of Departure, and Black Fire.

Hey Rigsby, what's Machine Gun like?

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote: »

Hey Rigsby, what's Machine Gun like?

It's an amazing album. Even though it's almost forty years old it has n't lost any of it sheer power. For anyone interested in free/improvised music it's a must IMO.

Rendell/ Carr

Live in London, great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Yep - this thread definitely needs more blues!

Lately I've been mostly listening to some Taj Mahal, Albert King, and some great acoustic slide by Furry Lewis.

Yep - this thread definitely needs more blues!

I agree ! So here are some more of my favourite blues artists.

Buddy Guy
    John Mayall
    Eric Clapton ( his "From the Cradle" album is excellent IMO )
    Johnny Winter
    Roomful of Blues ( they cover a lot of different styles of blues)
    Ten Years After
    Fleetwood Mac ( the early years with Peter Green)

Rigsby wrote: »
    I agree ! So here are some more of my favourite blues artists.

Buddy Guy
    John Mayall
    Eric Clapton ( his "From the Cradle" album is excellent IMO )
    Johnny Winter
    Roomful of Blues ( they cover a lot of different styles of blues)
    Ten Years After
    Fleetwood Mac ( the early years with Peter Green)

I'm with ya, with a couple of exceptions ;)

I never liked the 'From the Cradle' album. I expected so much from it, but it just left me cold. Like it's missing something, it sounds a bit clinical and sterile to me. But then I feel the same about most of Clapton's recorded music since Derek and the Dominoes. He can still let rip live when he wants to, and I love his earlier recordings.

I haven't heard of Roomful of Blues, something for me to look into! I agree wholeheartedly on the others. My own playing style is heavily influenced by early Clapton, Peter Green, Buddy Guy.

I'm with ya, with a couple of exceptions ;)

I never liked the 'From the Cradle' album. I expected so much from it, but it just left me cold. Like it's missing something, it sounds a bit clinical and sterile to me. But then I feel the same about most of Clapton's recorded music since Derek and the Dominoes. He can still let rip live when he wants to, and I love his earlier recordings.

I haven't heard of Roomful of Blues, something for me to look into! I agree wholeheartedly on the others. My own playing style is heavily influenced by early Clapton, Peter Green, Buddy Guy.

Funny how tastes differ. I have almost worn out "Cradle" from constant playing :D Except for a couple of songs I never liked Derek and the Dominos. Have you heard Clapton's playing on the "Beano" album with Mayall ? If not it's worth checking out.

Funny how tastes differ. I have almost worn out "Cradle" from constant playing :D Except for a couple of songs I never liked Derek and the Dominos. Have you heard Clapton's playing on the "Beano" album with Mayall ? If not it's worth checking out.

Of course! That and the 'Hard Road' album (with Peter Green) are the best Mayall IMO - although I like Guy Whittington too.

I'm a big fan of Duane Allman, so I like a lot of the Derek and the Dominoes album. I thought Clapton was still on top form then too.

I saw you also mentioned Paul Butterfield in this thread - good stuff!

Also early ZZ Top - before the 80's cheese set in!

I have always been a big Mayall fan. I have most of his early material. Another of his albums from the Beano/Hard Road era is "Crusade" with Mick Taylor is a favourite of mine. I really loved Taylor's playing with Mayall (he also features on "Blues from Laurel Canyon"). IMO he brought a different slant to the music than Green or Clapton.

You refered earlier to "my style of playing". Are you in a blues band ?

I'll have to look out for the Crusade album, I don't have that one. I'm vaguely aware of some of Taylor's playing with the Stones, and I saw him on Mayall's 70th birthday gig (the dvd) and I was impressed with his playing - understated, but with lots of feel.

I'm currently playing in a classic rock covers band, doing parties and weddings and stuff, but I'm also trying to get a blues band off the ground. I have a very good singer, a good drummer and a harmonica player, but our German bass player moved back to Germany just when we were about to start gigging. I have a mate who can fill in on bass, so we're hoping to start gigging in the new year.

The "Laural Canyon" album (1969) is also worth a look. Taylor is great on it. Good luck with the blues band. Let me know when you are playing and I'll go along. I play bass in a blues band. We've done a few small pub gigs and I really love it.

• Advertisement

some interesting stuff there....christmas is coming :)

i've recently become a huge fan of Freddy Hubbard. Can anyone recommend any particular albums of Freddy's or with Freddy on them?
    For the Hubbard enthusiast the following are a must:

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Hubbard - Open Sesame
    - Red Clay

Daddio wrote: »
    For the Hubbard enthusiast the following are a must:

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
    Hubbard - Open Sesame
    - Red Clay

thanks Daddio. i have Speak no evil and Maiden Voyage. never heard of Open Sesame, i'll check it out. Red Clay i've looked at many a time on the shelf but never had the funds at hand.

nice 1.

Red Clay i've looked at many a time on the shelf but never had the funds at hand.
    It's fantastic, go get it! The bass groove on the title track is worth the €10 alone. :D

Sketches of Spain - Myles Davis

Pimpoint - Pimp and Soil Sessions (again I can't stress enough how good this is)

buck65 wrote: »
    Sketches of Spain - Myles Davis

Pimpoint - Pimp and Soil Sessions (again I can't stress enough how good this is)
    I checked them out and i've actually enjoyed what i've heard thus far. Cheers for the tip-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Moritz Peter Quartet Liquor Dreams actually :-)

bought Shape of Jazz to come - by Ornette Coleman and
    Mingus live at Antibes at lunchtime , looking forward to these bigtime!!
    Anyone got them??

i haven't heard them anyway. i've heard very little Ornette Coleman actually, i'd like to hear more though.
    As a matter of interest what shops do people buy cd's in? In Dublin i mean. What shops so you think have the best jazz collections?
    I was in Virgin in Dundrum today, and though they have some good stuff their colelction is pretty small.

As a matter of interest what shops do people buy cd's in? In Dublin i mean. What shops so you think have the best jazz collections?
    I was in Virgin in Dundrum today, and though they have some good stuff their colelction is pretty small.

I gave up buying jazz cd's in stores in Dublin as I could never get what I wanted. Having said that I think "Tower" in Wicklow St. has the best selection .

I buy all my jazz cd's on line at www.cadencebuilding.com

They have a great selection of all types of jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

you should come down to Galway! The one specilaist jazz shop closed a while back (even that shop never updated it's stock, I remember hiding a CD in there before and coming back 18months later and it was still in the same position...) so now all we have is HMV...a small section on the first floor with collections and the like...

you should come down to Galway! The one specilaist jazz shop closed a while back (even that shop never updated it's stock, I remember hiding a CD in there before and coming back 18months later and it was still in the same position...) so now all we have is HMV...a small section on the first floor with collections and the like...

I know what you 're saying. Apart from "Tower", I almost have more jazz cd's in my collection than some of the other record stores. :D

God bless the internet is what I say!

I gave up buying jazz cd's in stores in Dublin as I could never get what I wanted. Having said that I think "Tower" in Wicklow St. has the best selection .

I buy all my jazz cd's on line at www.cadencebuilding.com

They have a great selection of all types of jazz.

That site seems like great value, and you're right they have tonnes of stuff.
    Thank you sir i shall make good use of this.

buck65 wrote: »
    bought Shape of Jazz to come - by Ornette Coleman and
    Mingus live at Antibes at lunchtime , looking forward to these bigtime!!
    Anyone got them??
    Shape of Jazz to Come is a masterpiece. Also check out Live at the Golden Circle by Coleman aswell if you enjoy Shape of Jazz.

If I was to buy in Dublin Tower Records would be my first stop, interesting collection there. Other than that, interweb ftw.

Mingus at Antibes is a gem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

A gem, saw this man live at Ronnie Scotts in london and bought the CD, Horace Silver, Finger Poppin!!!, brilliant!!, you won't regret this.....promise!:)

Yeah, quality, I like Blowin' the Blues Away and Song for my Father too...the latter's a classic

Yeah, quality, I like Blowin' the Blues Away and Song for my Father too...the latter's a classic
    Song for my Father is the tune that got me into jazz. John Kelly played it some night many moons ago, and I was :eek: this is crazy!

Advertisement