Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community and youth work degree nuim

Options
  • 16-10-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Looking for any info on this course from pass students Applying for it this year Did you find it easy or hard to get employment after? Where would you recommend doing placement? Etc Appreciate any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 danii24

i did that degree course i graduated last year. . Its a very hard sector to get in2 at the minute for a few reasons.. you need to be volunteering with a youth centre while your in college or good luck getting employed after wards. You might have to volunteer for a long time before youll get paid work. The college will tell you you need a degree to work as a youthwork but all the youth work jobs at present are been given away on CE schemes and internships. There is no paid work and hasnt been any paid work for more than 2 years in this sector. I have been looking for work for a year and a half now its not going well !! I would urge you to reconsider courses...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

danii24 wrote: »
    i did that degree course i graduated last year. . Its a very hard sector to get in2 at the minute for a few reasons.. you need to be volunteering with a youth centre while your in college or good luck getting employed after wards. You might have to volunteer for a long time before youll get paid work. The college will tell you you need a degree to work as a youthwork but all the youth work jobs at present are been given away on CE schemes and internships. There is no paid work and hasnt been any paid work for more than 2 years in this sector. I have been looking for work for a year and a half now its not going well !! I would urge you to reconsider courses...
    Thanks for that I also have social science down as my second choice just funding for a masters for 2 years after to be recognised as social worker is the issue for me so hence why I put community youth work down :) but thanks for your info really appreciate it

Advertisement