Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics

Options
  • 20-12-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have an easy way of remembering all the different formulae and also ways that could be used to prevent mixing up the different areas for example - supply and demand with regard to inferior, substitute goods....etc! I am in a real panic here doing first year test in January, please help me.....

Blue Shimmering:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Micro, yeah? What level? I just learned 'em off. I know that's not helpful but it's really the best way to go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Hi,

I did do economics to honours level in the Leaving but that was 20 +++++ years ago and I am finding it very difficult to learn them off, I have to understand something to remember it - the old grey matter is not as good now as it used to be then!!!! I do remember at school having ways of recalling them but can't remember now how I used to do it..... suppose I will just have to go back to the bookkkkkkkkkkkkkks read til it sinks in.... Thanks for your suggestions all the same, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Blue Shimmering:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Have to say that Economics was always something I despised greatly. Ignoring that, you mgiht get a good response out of people over on the Economics board :)

Hi,

Checked it out and its brilliant, will post over there soon, am in a hurry with christmas at the mo so havent time! Great stuff and thanks for taking the trouble to send me the link, merry christmas and a healthy new year to you all!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

LOL ... I think I've figured out your problem, blue shimmering! You're way too cheerful and upbeat to take to Economics! :p

Don't have any magic formulae to help you remember formulae (see what I did there?!1! :D ) and like you I was much better at remembering stuff because I understood it rather than by rote memory, but one thought that might help ...

Copy out a few of them at a time (3 - 4) on pieces of paper, stick them round the house in places you will see them fairly regularly ... the back of the loo door, the fridge door, whatever ... and now and again over the Christmas when you encounter one just stop for 30 seconds and concentrate really hard ... repeat it aloud while you stare at it (so what if people think you're loopy! ... pfft! :rolleyes: ) and then move on about your normal business. You will be surprised how they start to become more familiar each time. (Do remember to include what they are for, and what each symbol means, otherwise you might end up with a lot of formulae in your head, and no clue what to do with them!)

Happy Christmas to you too, and an exam-successful New Year! :D

• Advertisement

Hi,

I am surprised by all the positive responses that I am getting and you are right, economics is not my fav subject in life but has to be done this year and then no more, thank God! Mind you I wouldn't mind Eddie Hobbs salaries and his passion seems to be economics, it does make the world go round like love, money.........! Still it is not my glass of wine have to say, anyway I will take the advice and put up stickies everywhere to see if I can get my head around all of this!

It would be easy if my lecturer was beside me during the exam, he is brilliant but that will not happen, I know - its just me who has the problem with this subject because there seems to be so many diagrams, formulae, definitions etc....

Anyway lol and a merry christmas to you and very best of health and happiness in 2008, am keeping my fingers, toes etc crossed that I pass and only have macroeconomics to pass in May then it finished for me unless I take on Marketing - no chance I am going to do Accountancy - really love working with figures, and at least it is possible to get 100% in it where as economics you would be luck to get 60% or so!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Hi,

I am surprised by all the positive responses that I am getting and you are right, economics is not my fav subject in life but has to be done this year and then no more, thank God! Mind you I wouldn't mind Eddie Hobbs salaries and his passion seems to be economics, it does make the world go round like love, money.........! Still it is not my glass of wine have to say, anyway I will take the advice and put up stickies everywhere to see if I can get my head around all of this!

It would be easy if my lecturer was beside me during the exam, he is brilliant but that will not happen, I know - its just me who has the problem with this subject because there seems to be so many diagrams, formulae, definitions etc....

Anyway lol and a merry christmas to you and very best of health and happiness in 2008, am keeping my fingers, toes etc crossed that I pass and only have macroeconomics to pass in May then it finished for me unless I take on Marketing - no chance I am going to do Accountancy - really love working with figures, and at least it is possible to get 100% in it where as economics you would be luck to get 60% or so!

Best wishes,

blue shimmering:):):)

good luck

Thanks Regob,

Have been studying away and it is starting to make sense but don't know if I will remember it all in the exam, I am not a fan of economics to be honest and will be glad to finish with it in May! By the way I am from Donegal too, love it up here would not go and live anywhere else, we did have a great party on New Years Eve, in Donegal Town until the early hours of the morning - it was great stuff, now back to the grind stone and keeping the head down to pass these exams.......Yuk!

Lol,

blue shimmering

LOL ... I think I've figured out your problem, blue shimmering! You're way too cheerful and upbeat to take to Economics! :p

Don't have any magic formulae to help you remember formulae (see what I did there?!1! :D ) and like you I was much better at remembering stuff because I understood it rather than by rote memory, but one thought that might help ...

Copy out a few of them at a time (3 - 4) on pieces of paper, stick them round the house in places you will see them fairly regularly ... the back of the loo door, the fridge door, whatever ... and now and again over the Christmas when you encounter one just stop for 30 seconds and concentrate really hard ... repeat it aloud while you stare at it (so what if people think you're loopy! ... pfft! :rolleyes: ) and then move on about your normal business. You will be surprised how they start to become more familiar each time. (Do remember to include what they are for, and what each symbol means, otherwise you might end up with a lot of formulae in your head, and no clue what to do with them!)

Happy Christmas to you too, and an exam-successful New Year! :D

Hi randylonghorn,:cool:

I am just getting back to you now, I have been very busy - studying, partying.....You really have me to a T, I do not like economics but it has to be done, will be finished with it in May! I am to much of a party gal to get too serious about ECONOMICS, YUK, YUK, YUK... :eek:

Anyway happy new year to you all and may we have many more!

Lol,:p

blue shimmering:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Advertisement