Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listen to Jazz! It's good! Who wants to take the Jazz test?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

. Some trad jazz players look down on him. Ronan Guilfoyle, for example and from what I've heard, wouldn't ever refer to any of his tecniques in Newpark and fusion is sort of bet out of you.

Actually dude, one of the best gigs I ever saw was Ronan's Devsirme band. Unbelievable fusion stuff, kinda like a really hardcore Mahavishnu Orchestra with some really shocking swing bits thrown in for good measure, whenever they get bored of playing in 15/8. :D And I have actually heard him refer to Jaco once or twice in classes at Newpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

I stand corrected then, I'll kill my source. Good to hear though. I heard Ronan play an outdoor gig on Jervis St with Tommy Hafferty and he is pure class. He had his left handed fretless with him. He was counting the tunes in and at first you couldn't tell what type of signature it was until the rest of the band came in. His timing is impecible as is his playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

well this is all very exciting for me to hear as hopefully I'll be attending New Park in September, I've applied for the professional musician course there.

In other news, my boyfriend just bought a left-handed fretless bass and it sounds SO good.... I have a photo of it here somewhere, if I find it I'll post it up.

Found it.... we got it in New York about 4 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Jazz.....
    I play a bad version of most Miles tunes.... still love him to bits...Anybody read the Biography...total genius from an early age.....
    Top Jazz moments.....
    Seeing James Moody in Ronny Scotts..
    Seeing Roy Ayers in Ronnies also ... several times....Roys a genius...
    Fave records....
    "Underground" - thelonious monk
    "Home is Where the hatred is" - Esther Philips....Aretha Franklin won a grammy in 1971 for "bridge over troubled waters" and walked from the stage and planted it in front of Esther....praise indeed...
    Bitches Brew - especially the John Mcloughlin.....
    Also for all you jazz nuts check out the Ealing jazz festival in London..
    http://www.ealing.gov.uk/services/ealing+summer/jazz+festival.asp
    It's the largest free jazz festival in Europe..... and I've seen amazing performances there.....

I was really put of Miles Davis after hearing the album JuJu. I know it was latter in his career but it stinks. Absolutley nothing exciting about it whatsoever. The next time I heard him was on the performance channel. The gig was from 1989 and it was kinda crap aswell. Did he ever face the crowd when he was playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Got the CD and it was fantastic !!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I was really put of Miles Davis after hearing the album JuJu. I know it was latter in his career but it stinks. Absolutley nothing exciting about it whatsoever. The next time I heard him was on the performance channel. The gig was from 1989 and it was kinda crap aswell. Did he ever face the crowd when he was playing?

Do you mean Tutu?
    That is actually not a bad album but as you say, it is late in his career. That was a few years after his rehabilitation from heroin. During the seventies he went quiet having already produced 2 jazz revolutions and became a junkie. He had already had the most illustrious career in all of jazz behind him. When he reimerged in the 1980s he went for an 80s sound and produced a few albums which were mixed. Compared to his earlier stuff it was so so; compared to most mortals it was still interesting because he had absolutely stellar lineups. His own playing tended to be kind of blurry and squeaky and hard to warm to. I remember listening to Tutu and a couple of earlier albums on full volume at parties at it was actually not bad. Live; he did indeed turn his back on the audiences; he had a reputation for that; earlier in his career he used to walk out on other players solos.

He died a few years after Tutu; he deserved a few weak albums. Some of the ones he made in teh early seventies were actually harder to listen to although I was probably not tuned into what he was doing. Otherwise, he produced half a dozen sheer masterpieces. He rarely played safe.

Des

Your right, TuTu. I can hear where Marcus Miller gets his production style from. A bit samey samey if you know what I mean.

Drapper wrote:
    Got the CD and it was fantastic !!

D

Great! Glad you liked it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Your right, TuTu. I can hear where Marcus Miller gets his production style from. A bit samey samey if you know what I mean.

I agree it is not exactly an all time killer CD; samey samey is a good way of putting it :-).

Des

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

well this is all very exciting for me to hear as hopefully I'll be attending New Park in September, I've applied for the professional musician course there.

In other news, my boyfriend just bought a left-handed fretless bass and it sounds SO good.... I have a photo of it here somewhere, if I find it I'll post it up.

Found it.... we got it in New York about 4 weeks ago

Your boyfriend's bass is nice! :D

Your boyfriend's bass is nice! :D

it sure is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

Saint Something,

this is way cool, can i get a cd? :D
    been meaning to purchace some nice jazz and blues with a while, and this is a great oppurtunity to getta hold a some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Ronan Guilfoyle, for example and from what I've heard, wouldn't ever refer to any of his tecniques in Newpark and fusion is sort of bet out of you. I remember having a drunken jam with a mate of a mate of mine who was learning from Guilfoyle in Newpark. I played some classic Jaco grooves for him. He had forgotten how good they feel to play. These were grooves that he would have played years before me and had left them behind. I suppose it was just a reminder to him as to how exciting the bass can be to play.

Man that's rubbish, I've been in Newpark for almost 3 years and Ronan does nothing of the sort. I mean you say he's a jazz traditionalist therefore you havn't heard any of his music or had a chance to read his book on metric modulation. It's not on to be dropping names on this site.

Fusion

I stand corrected then,

Like I said

I'll make sure I won't drop Ronan's name on this jazz site again.

Saint Something,

this is way cool, can i get a cd? :D
    been meaning to purchace some nice jazz and blues with a while, and this is a great oppurtunity to getta hold a some!

You sure can, just pm me with your details and I'll mail one out to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I'll make sure I won't drop Ronan's name on this jazz site again.

Don't get smart you know what I mean.

I don't know what you mean. I was talking about something which led on yer man Guilfoyle. Good luck with the NewPark course though. Or whatever you have left to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

Fusion251 wrote:
    Yes I mean you!! All you boards people!

There's a lack of posting in the Jazz forum and I don't think it's right tbh.

Why don't people listen to Jazz as much as other styles of music?

Are there any non-jazzers out there willing to take the Jazz test?

Listen to Jazz for a full week and give a verdict?

The artists to listen to could be posted by the regular Jazz threaders.

Whaddya think?

Ive always liked jazz, probably being dragged to the Cork jazz festival when I was a kid. Anyway Ive been listening to some John Coltrane, Miles Davis ect.
    Im going to go through a few of the other artists mentioned in the thread.
    Also has anyone heard of Seamus Blake he plays tenor sax mainly, He used to play with Charlie Mingus?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Beruthiel wrote:
    many, many years ago I heard a louis armstrong song about a funeral, it blew me away but I've never been able to get my hands on it! :( do you know the song I'm talking about??

St. James' Infirmary

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

nice one jonny! :D

update on saint somethings cd

my favs so far:
    david grisman
    Booker T & MGs
    Acker Bilk
    4 Hero
    Howard Roberts Quartet
    Pat Metheny
    Peppino D'Agostino
    Round Midnight/Above the World

cept for Booker T, I have never heard any of the above and I absolutely love them.
    thanks for the introduction to some new music saint something! :D

Beruthiel wrote:
    nice one jonny! :D

update on saint somethings cd

my favs so far:
    david grisman
    Booker T & MGs
    Acker Bilk
    4 Hero
    Howard Roberts Quartet
    Pat Metheny
    Peppino D'Agostino
    Round Midnight/Above the World

cept for Booker T, I have never heard any of the above and I absolutely love them.
    thanks for the introduction to some new music saint something! :D

Well you are just very welcome! :D

That 4 Hero is actually track 4 - Hero - by Mini Riperton. She is totally amasing!
    Round Midnight is one of my favorites too! That version is by Sting on vocal and Andy Williams on Guitar. It's fromthe Andy Williams album called Above the world, which I don't think is very good but that song is outstanding!

Advertisement