Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Movie Show (Dave Fanning) - RTÉ Player

Options
  • 17-01-2015 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Boy, did I love this show. Here's the first ever episode of The Movie Show, featuring Dave Fanning, first broadcast September 1993.

Featuring such all time classics as Consenting Adults, Cactus Jack and Sidekicks, as well as Fanning stirring a cup of tea for no good reason and using the word 'groovy' unironically more than once.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10069309/

The main films discussed are The Fugitive and Sleepless in Seattle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That show should make a well deserved comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Man, that was a groovy watch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 GabbyJay

A good show with a great theme tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Birneybau wrote: »
    That show should make a well deserved comeback.

Didn't they bring it back two or three years ago but with some woman instead of good old Dave on RTE 2. I loved watching this show with my dad (wasn't it on Friday's at 7:30 on RTE 1) some of the films he reviewed were crap but he did review some great world cinema and indie films from time to time.

I wonder if anyone can answer this for me, What was that small segment show that was on RTE 1 after the Late Late show on Friday nights, back In the early 90's to late 90's with a guy who did little segments telling a little info on that nights film ( a bit like Moviedrome with Alex Cox and Mark Cousins on BBC 2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It was called the last picture show and Brian Reddin presented it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Jonjo, not quite as good as Moviedrome but as a young lad it was great to get a education into older films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Always loved this programme too.

And a great choice of theme tune:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Love that theme tune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Looper007 wrote: »
    Didn't they bring it back two or three years ago but with some woman instead of good old Dave on RTE 2. I loved watching this show with my dad (wasn't it on Friday's at 7:30 on RTE 1) some of the films he reviewed were crap but he did review some great world cinema and indie films from time to time.

I wonder if anyone can answer this for me, What was that small segment show that was on RTE 1 after the Late Late show on Friday nights, back In the early 90's to late 90's with a guy who did little segments telling a little info on that nights film ( a bit like Moviedrome with Alex Cox and Mark Cousins on BBC 2)

Their Clint Eastwood marathon circa 2000 or so was absolutely brilliant. Introduced me to some of my favourite films. I'm pretty sure this was the order of films they showed.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Play Misty for Me
    Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    The Enforcer
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Gauntlet
    Every Which Way But Loose
    Any Which Way You Can
    Pale Rider
    Unforgiven

They may have shown Bronco Billy or something to even it out to a dozen, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The movie show was great. It's abit of a travesty that the national broadcaster can't produce a weekly film review show. I mean it's hardly that expensive to have Dave Fanning sitting in a studio or doing a voice commentary on film clips for a half hour programme. I always thought they got rid of it due to poor ratings, but I think they should stick in on in a later slot during the week and call it a national service - balls to the ratings. Just like they do on BBC.

Didnt they bring back a version of it on RTE a couple of years back with Mairead Farrell? That was pretty bad. Dave actually knew what he was talking about.

• Advertisement

Their Clint Eastwood marathon circa 2000 or so was absolutely brilliant. Introduced me to some of my favourite films. I'm pretty sure this was the order of films they showed.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Play Misty for Me
    Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    The Enforcer
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Gauntlet
    Every Which Way But Loose
    Any Which Way You Can
    Pale Rider
    Unforgiven

They may have shown Bronco Billy or something to even it out to a dozen, but I'm not sure.

you are right about that, it was one of the last picture shows reviews I seem to remember (it was the first time I saw Dirty Harry, still my favourite Eastwood film along with Unforgiven), they did an Alfred Hitchcock season too and a Woody Allen one if I'm not mistaken. Brian Reddin was great for the info into the making of the films but he wasn't like Alex Cox or Mark cousins who'd actually sometimes say the film they were shown wasn't that great but went into the pros and cons of the films. But Reddin did the job and at least getting you hyped up for the film.

Advertisement