Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Film Awards 2014 - Results!

Options
  • 29-12-2014 4:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Nominations for the annual Boards.ie Film Awards are now open. Pretty much the same drill as previous years: the nomination threads will go up in three batches over the next few weeks followed shortly after by voting.

Like last year, you can nominate 4 films in each category. You can nominate less if you want, but we encourage people to nominate 4 in order to allow for a broad range of nominees. To facilitate this, we’ll be putting up a longlist of eligible films and potential nominees to help jog people’s memories of what came out this year. Watch this space!

In a change from previous years, we’ll be temporarily closing the current batch of nomination threads upon release of the next batch. This is in order to keep all the new threads on the front page of the Film Awards forum and keep everyone focused on the latest batch of nomination threads. But don’t worry, all categories will be briefly re-opened at the end of nomination phase.

That’s pretty much it. The first batch of threads for Best Film are now up. You have about a week to submit your nominations before the next batch arrives. So head over the Film Awards forum and get nominating. And behalf of myself and the rest of the Films mods, thanks for your participation. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here’s a rough longlist of potential nominees for the current batch. It’s a work in progress and I welcome feedback.

Did Nebraska come out in Irish cinemas this year or last year? And what about All is Lost, Philomenia? What other major films came out early in the year?

Should Snowpiercer be eligible considering it still hasn’t been released in Irish cinemas?

Best Hollywood Blockbuster
    - Interstellar
    - Gone Girl
    - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    - Guardians of the Galaxy
    - X-Men Days of Future Past
    - Edge of Tomorrow
    - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
    - The Hunger Games
    - Fury
    - Noah
    - Captain America the Winter Soldier
    - The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    - 300 Rise of an Empire
    - Lone Survivor
    - Robocop

Best American Indie
    - The Wolf of Wall Street
    - Out of the Furnace
    - Her
    - Palo Alto
    - Cold in July
    - Nightcrawler
    - The Grand Budapest Hotel
    - Blue Ruin
    - Coherence
    - Joe
    - Inside Llewyn Davis
    - Boyhood
    - Maps to the Stars
    - A Walk Among the Tombstones
    - The Drop
    - The Homesman
    - Men, Women and Children
    - Magic in the Moonlight
    - I Origins
    - The Fault in Our Stars
    - The One I Love
    - Transcendence
    - Escape from Tomorrow
    - Skeleton Twins
    - 12 Years a Slave

Best Non-American English
    - Only Lovers Left Alive
    - God Help the Girl
    - Starred Up
    - The Rover
    - Mystery Road
    - Nymphomaniac
    - Tracks
    - The Book Thief
    - Honeymoon
    - Frank
    - ’71
    - Trip to Italy
    - Locke
    - The Babadook
    - Under the Skin
    - Mr Turner
    - Pride
    - What If
    - Clouds of Sils Maria
    - The Double
    - Snowpiercer

Best Foreign Language
    - The Past
    - Concrete Night
    - Like Father Like Son
    - The Raid 2
    - Stranger by the Lake
    - Two Days, One Night
    - We Are the Best
    - Borgman
    - Ida
    - Goodbye to Language
    - The Strange Colour of Your Body’s Tears
    - Leviathan
    - The Grandmaster
    - Winter Sleep
    - A Touch of Sin

Best Dumb Fun
    - Lucy
    - The Guest
    - 22 Jump Street
    - Non-stop
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    - A Million Ways to Die in the West

Best Irish
    - Jimmy’s Hall
    - Out of Here
    - Calvary

Best Documentary
    - At Berkeley
    - Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
    - Manakamana
    - Life Itself
    - 20,000 Days on Earth
    - Mistaken for Strangers

Best Animation
    - The Congress
    - How to Train Your Dragon 2
    - The Lego Movie
    - The Wind Rises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Would Under the Skin not count as non-American English?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

e_e wrote: »
    Would Under the Skin not count as non-American English?

Yeah, you’re right. I was thinking Glazer was American for some reason. Fixed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd certainly be inclined to make an exception for Snowpiercer, I'd say most people really interested in it have tracked it down at this point.

All is Lost, Nebraska and Philomena I'd consider all 2013 releases :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, I'd like to see Snowpiercer included, but what category would it fall under? 'Blockbuster' seems too glib, and wasn't really a Hollywood production either iirc - more French and South Korean...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Non American English would be the natural fit IMO, given it's an international co production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

id like to see skeleton twins included in the Indie American

Yeah, Snowpiercer belongs in Non-American English. It’s just the kind of film that category was created for.
    id like to see skeleton twins included in the Indie American

Forgot about this. Added.

Another one big one I missed is 12 Years a Slave, but what category should it be in? With its US setting and subject matter, I’m leaning toward American Indie, but there may be an argument - with its British director, crew and (some) financing - that it belongs in Non-American English. Anyone want to make that argument or do you agree the setting and subject matter is enough to make it American?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No "Acting" nominations? :confused:

They'll be in a later batch of nomination threads. There's three altogether to ensure the whole awards forum doesn't get bogged down with new threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

They'll be in a later batch of nomination threads. There's three altogether to ensure the whole awards forum doesn't get bogged down with new threads.

Ta Johnny! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

how is Wolf of Wall Street considered an indie film, and oddly enough it probably is, i always think of indie films as low budget probably 10-15 million max, now a 100 million dollar film can be considered and indie, how times change :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/snowpiercer
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=snowpiercer.htm

Hugely acclaimed film that also did extremely well on limited release in America as well as making millions on demand. The only reason for no release here is Harvey Weinstein being unbelievably obtuse. You might not see much in the film but it was really something special and unique to me as well as many others.

I'd also point to it being a box office success in France and South Korea so there's no reason for it not to do well here too if not for it already being leaked before any official release. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

GONE GIRL
    COHERENCE
    '71

A DAMN GOOD YEAR FOR CINEMA.

[Sorry of being so swift... I need a piss.. really...]

• Registered Users Posts: 85,327 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will or did The Immigrant ever get a release over here?

Wolf of Wall Street isn't really my idea of an indie film either. But considering its director and financing, it fits the definition better than a Hollywood blockbuster.

The Immigrant is another excellent film Weinstein doesn't want to release. It'll hopefully get a DVD release over here next year, so should probably be excluded from this year's awards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Were Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea released in Ireland in 2014?

Princess Kaguya definitely hasn’t.

Princess Kaguya definitely hasn’t.

So weird. It was in the cinema here (France) in June. About a week after HTTYD2

• Advertisement

Anime release dates, even for Ghibli, tend to be appallingly delayed in the UK and Ireland. France and Europe are much better for getting them out.

I assume the distributors are holding it so it's not released too close to The Wind Rises. I recall hearing something about an early 2015 release, but can't see anything concrete.

Anime release dates, even for Ghibli, tend to be appallingly delayed in the UK and Ireland. France and Europe are much better for getting them out.

I assume the distributors are holding it so it's not released too close to The Wind Rises. I recall hearing something about an early 2015 release, but can't see anything concrete.

Jasus, The wind rises came out nearly a year ago here. It's on blu ray already.

Oh we got the Wind Rises a while ago too, and it's out on BluRay for a few months :) Given there will be no new Ghibli film for the foreseeable future, I can see a sort of twisted if regrettable sense in the decision to hold off releasing Princess Kaguya for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It'd be great if there was a way of separating the "best scene" so it's not dominated by very popular blockbusters (I'm thinking of GOTG/Interstellar in particular this year). It's a really fun category for everyone to participate in with plenty of scope for everyone to suggest some slightly lesser known favourite moments of the year. Just a suggestion - I know, there's a lot of categories as it is.

As much as I loved last year's winner - the opening of Gravity - it was also a shame that the likes of Frances dancing down the street, the Taxi ride from Like Someone in Love and countless others couldn't get a look in as they're just such different types of films with a smaller audience. I thought about suggesting favourite movie line/quote of the year too which might be another fun one but again there's already a lot of categories.

Or another option might be to have the runner up and 3rd place in all categories announced as part of the results? Just thinking aloud really. Fair play to Johnny, Sad Prof, Mr. E and all others involved for putting in the effort again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Out of the lot of them, Enemy was the real stand out film. It still gets in my head once in a while. Toss up between that and Coherence, it's hard to choose between the two! Both did fantastically with the material and their budget, and Gyllenhaal really had a great year, and was amazing in Enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Was Enemy released in cinemas last year? I thought it was only opening 2nd January.

Yeah, you’re right. Removed.

Quick reminder that the current batch of threads will be locked tomorrow or Monday before a new batch goes up. They will reopen briefly at the end, but if you want to nominate in any of the 'best film' categories now is the time to do so!

The next batch of nomination threads - the beloved 'Misc' category! - are up now. Go nominate now or forever hold your peace.
    Goldstein wrote: »
    Or another option might be to have the runner up and 3rd place in all categories announced as part of the results?

Realistically this is all we can do. Especially with the 'best film' categories we have very much made an effort over the last few years to ensure it's not just Hollywood blockbusters that get a look in - and the lack of an overall 'best film' means they're all weighted equally.

Other categories we can't really influence without some contrived trickery / weighting, and we shouldn't really try anyway! It is always going to be a public vote at the end of the day, where the most visible titles are going to dominate, but hopefully if we list the 'top three' in each category there will be more diversity in the final results :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

just saw Still Alice… christ that was morbid. BUt great performance as usual from Julie Ann Moore

Advertisement