Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

most overrated films, reviewers pulling the wool over your eyes.

• 19-04-2005 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

before you go to to see a film, you will know beforehand whether it is going to be crap. usually it is a marketing gimmick to cash in on an excellant prequel or it may be just loads of action.

but what really bugs me, is when there is no reason why the film is atrosious and yet it got a good review from the pretentious Ticket.

here are my awards for the most overrated:

Adam and Paul,
    Team America World Police
    Buffalo Soldiers
    Bourne Supremacy, what a bad script.
    Wimbledon
    cellar door
    million dollar baby

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Matrix 2 and 3.
    Titanic.
    AvP
    Blade 2

Napolean Dynamite

It's just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

AvP was so bad why God why?
    The most dissapointing movie ever, but I should have known, its was directed by that Anderson dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Elephant.
    Utter sh1te.
    Just follows some dude around and then follows him around from a different angle. Then does it for about 3 or 4 different characters.
    Worst film I ever saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

before you go to to see a film, you will know beforehand whether it is going to be crap. usually it is a marketing gimmick to cash in on an excellant prequel or it may be just loads of action.

but what really bugs me, is when there is no reason why the film is atrosious and yet it got a good review from the pretentious Ticket.

here are my awards for the most overrated:

Adam and Paul,
    Team America World Police
    Buffalo Soldiers
    Bourne Supremacy, what a bad script.
    Wimbledon
    cellar door
    million dollar baby

Adam and Paul, - I enjoyed watching it.
    Team America World Police - didn't see it.
    Buffalo Soldiers - didn't see it.
    Bourne Supremacy, what a bad script. - I enjoyed watching it a lot, very entertaining
    Wimbledon - stupid british comedy but not a bad popcorn flick
    cellar door - didn't see it
    million dollar baby - very good film, though a tad over sentimental in bits.

maybe you just need to accept that people can have a different opinion and thus give a positive review because they actually liked the film?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

of over-rating our own films, don't you find. I don't think a decent Irish movie has been made since The Butcher Boy .. I enjoyed stuff like 'I went down' and 'Intermission' but what the hell kind of trip was 'Goldfish Memory' ... Fair City can do better than that! 'Cowboys and Angels' wasn't bad, but the DVD had 4-stars ... over-rated.

I usually try to check as many different reviews of a movie before seeing it, without finding out too much about it at the same time. This can prove difficult, dodging to the end of reviews, cutting out the sound on The View when they start to analise. The best thing is to catch a good movie as soon as it comes out and then enjoy listening to all the feedback, without the threat that they're gonna ruin it for you ... kind of a vicious circle, oh well .. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Most reviewers in the papers jumped on the bandwagon proclaining this to better than the previous movies. They talked up the involvement of the lads who made the Naked Gun movies.

It was a terrible movie. I know the 1st two weren't great either but this one was awful.

I hate when reviewers give good reviews because they dont want to seem out of line with the others.

Its snobbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I also have to mention the movie Closer. I didnt like it at all.

I respect that some people liked it. But, reviewers went way over the top in its praise. I was really pissed off one day when I was listening to rattlebag and the reviewer gave it 9 1/2 stars.

I even sent in an email in disgust. How sad is that? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Napolean Dynamite

It's just bad.
    BOOOOOOOO!!!!

"Do the chicken have large talons?!" :D

basquille wrote:
    BOOOOOOOO!!!!

"Do the chicken have large talons?!" :D

I know most people adore it, but I just found it boring and unfunny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I also have to mention the movie Closer. I didnt like it at all.

I respect that some people liked it. But, reviewers went way over the top in its praise.
    They did? Closer got quite heavily slated in the UK and Ireland in the papers that I read. Many seemed to dislike the characters or the sometimes contrived dialogue.

And I don't know why AvP is on the list above - nobody saif it was good so how it considered over-rated?! :confused:

For my bit, I'll chuck in "A Beautiful Mind". I always do whenever I can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

I know most people adore it, but I just found it boring and unfunny.

ditto!

another film in which i was astounded it got 5 stars was maria, full of grace total utter shoite!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to agree with A Beautiful Mind. It changed a very interesting story and character into over sentimental Hollywood Oscar Fodder.

I also have to mention Thin Red Line. Some people did like it. The action scenes were great but the philisophical dialogue was really contrived and if you think about it, basically a load of wankery. It's one of those films that thinks it's clever but really isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Pretty much (90%) every movie which makes it to the cinema is pure ****e. All the reviewers are in the studios pockets now (this is a fact - Apple started the trend years ago).

I only watch foreign movies now (unless forced otherwise by the girlfriend...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Most reviewers in the papers jumped on the bandwagon proclaining this to better than the previous movies. They talked up the involvement of the lads who made the Naked Gun movies.

It was a terrible movie. I know the 1st two weren't great either but this one was awful.

I hate when reviewers give good reviews because they dont want to seem out of line with the others.

Its snobbery.
    Yeah, 3 was terrible. The first 2 liked though.

Napoleon Dynamite was BRILLIANT!!! So was Elephant.

Star Wars is overrated and so is The Godfather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dawballz wrote:
    Elephant.
    Utter sh1te.
    Just follows some dude around and then follows him around from a different angle. Then does it for about 3 or 4 different characters.
    Worst film I ever saw.

This is the one about the school shooting right? I don't think I have ever felt so cheated after seeing a film. I looked it up on the web the next day, and found that it had received great reviews.

Apparently there were only 2 professional actors in the film, the rest were normal school kids and teachers / parents (their real Christian names are used in the film also). I think it was some sort of arty project / experimental thing, but just really pìssed me off. If I were to see it again knowing the above I may enjoy it a bit more (probably not though), but this was not how it was marketed in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭almostagassi

Retr0gamer wrote:

I also have to mention Thin Red Line. Some people did like it. The action scenes were great but the philisophical dialogue was really contrived and if you think about it, basically a load of wankery. It's one of those films that thinks it's clever but really isn't.

this is the emperors new clothes. pretentious ifi crap.

If i remember correctly, this film came out just after Saving Private Ryan, when there was big hype. the producers must have been on the bandwagon.

dont watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Closer

Enduring Love

I found both dull and depressing despite getting ok reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its snobbery.

I have to disagree with you there...I thought Scary Movie 3 was light years ahead of the first two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

2001 - the most over rated sci-fi movie ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Absolutely the worst movie ever made: The English Patient

3 hours of the voice in my head saying 'just fcuking die'
    And it got 9 oscars or something :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Thin Red Line is a great movie .

A bit uneven and maybe a touch to long so its easy to pick faults in it but it is a powerfull film.

What ever faults this film may have then Apocalypse Now suffers from the same.
    A bit of philosophising is appropriate I suppose, if you had to go off some place kill/be killed then I'd say you'd be having a few deep thoughts in yer head, to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I have to agree with the Thin Red Line bashers - despite the awesome cast, it (in the words of the immortal B.J. Simpson) both sucks and blew at the same time. Awful drivel.

But the most over-rated piece of sh*te ever was Kill Bill 1. The Tarantinis went mental about it, long before they got to see it, and god damn would it take a hell of a lot more than the film being completely rubbish for them to acknowledge the film was completely rubbish! To paraphrase the much superior and indeed intellectually honest film, Tommy Boy, Tarantino could take a dump in a box and put his name on it - some of his die-hard fans would proclaim 'masterpiece!' (a few months before seeing it themselves, of course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

2001 - the most over rated sci-fi movie ever.

Don't judge it as a sci-fi film but as a genreless film as it's quite different to your typical sci-fi action film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

LORD OF THE RINGS!

they walk around the mountains for 3 hours every film (about 26 hours if you waste your money on the extended editions!!) just to throw a ring in a hole!

i remember seein the first one in the flix and at one stage there was like a half hour scene where they discussed who wud throw the ring in the hole and some guy said sumtin like " you cant do it, your a troll, my family has never trusted trolls" I didnt know whether to laugh or cry! that and the fact i lost 3 hours drinkin time as i could have gone to the pub but said id suss out what the hype was all about. i just dont get it at all at all!! and i know im probably gonna get blasted for sayin so but thats just my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Apocalypse Now. Going on the reviews of some of my mates "best war movie ever" I went and bought it on dvd and sat bemused for the entire thing, finished it and threw it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

after years of hearing. ahhh you got to see this film
    finaly watched it the other night

WHAT A LOAD OF ME BLOXIX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Aren't we all forgetting something? Titanic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭almostagassi

yeah but i think titanic wasnt rated in the first place.

what really bugs me is that people still pay money to see a film that they know will be crap merely because of the hype, ie matrix sequels, titanic, meet the fockers, and ring 2.

ring 2 was no.1 in the charts, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

TOPDAWG wrote:
    LORD OF THE RINGS!

they walk around the mountains for 3 hours every film (about 26 hours if you waste your money on the extended editions!!) just to throw a ring in a hole!

brilliant :)

that's all it really was wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

Shabadu wrote:
    Aren't we all forgetting something? Titanic
    i cried buckets at it.........

CAUSE IT WAS SO FCUKING BORING.
    ONLY FOR THE MISSUS DRAGED ME TOO SEE IT ID WANT MY MONEY BACK AND COMPENSATION FOR THE EMOTIONAL SCARS IT LEFT ME WITH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Napoleon Dynamite - an art student's class project gone wrong. It's not even funny when you're stoned.
    Reservoir Dogs - It's an okay B movie, no more, how Tarantino is so highly acclaimed for this is beyond me.
    Heat - A cast that's a director's wet-dream and the end result is decidedly average.
    Doctor Zhivago - nice shot but it drags a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Titanic won a zillion oscars- it was highly rated when it first came out. Sailorboy- your sig is far too big see signature rules in newbies/faq or face the wrath of SIGPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DisneyXFan

For me I have to go with Frozen. Last year it was ALL about this movie and the song has been in the charts for so long, its really starting to annoy me. I do like Frozen don't get me wrong it was a good flick, but personally tangled was the better film, as it had a better story that was well structured and the songs weren't as broadway-styled compare to frozen.
    As the song says LET IT GO already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Anchorman 2.

Moving them the cast out of San Diego and the 70's was a mistake.
    The first film had this great nostalgic warm look to it, the next one was drapped in orange and teal.

Those are strange things to talk about with a comedy besides the jokes which were trying to more overtly funny and felt not so much.

TDKR

They kill the momentum by placing it 7 years later, I heard rumours intially that it would pick up 5 minutes (literally) after the end of The Dark Knight with Batman being hunted on the night Harvey Dent was killed with no backup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Weak thread, it's all too easy to just accuse others with differing opinions of being pretentious and/or having the wool pulled over their eyes when you don't like something. We should talk about the work itself instead of doing the ad-hominem thing and playing the man not the ball.

What the hell did people see in Crash and Slumdog Millionaire though? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Drive was one of the worst films i ever sat through, can't understand how its so highly acclaimed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

This thread is ooold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

American hustle (shocking bad)
    inherent vice (shocking bad)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

American Hustle was a disgrace
    Lord of ther rings 1,2,3 all too long and boring(same as the books really)will not watch the hobbit
    The Dark Night returns was ok,just half hour too long
    ****ing Gravity!!!
    The Guard,God help us all
    But the gong goes too..
    Blade runner....
    Runs away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No Country for Old Men. (a boring film that goes nowhere slowly).
    Her (a movie about a wanker that's admired by shut-ins).

Those two were diabolical wastes of celluloid. This years prize for overhype goes to Whiplash. It is a good film and doesn't belong in the same category as the above two but it is not the best movie of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

This thread should be locked and deleted on the basis that 9 years ago someone decided that adding the Godfather to the list of over rated films was a good idea.

Also, on the basis the Anchor Man 2 (a genuine contender for worst movie ever and pretty much universally panned by the critics) should feature on the list. No one rated it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Was briefly mentioned, but I would go with Avatar.

Never got the hype. Visually, it looks great, no doubting that (especially if you seen it in 3D I'm sure, which I didn't).

Storyline was p*ss poor and had been done before (Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai etc)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement