Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criterion Collection

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Is there any European version of this? Have read really good reviews about their remastered versions of DVDs. Obviously it is region encoded which is disappointing and I have read that you lose quality on a region free DVD player.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I would be shocked if there is any truth to losing quality on a region free DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

batnolan wrote: »
    Is there any European version of this? Have read really good reviews about their remastered versions of DVDs. Obviously it is region encoded which is disappointing and I have read that you lose quality on a region free DVD player.

Thanks

I have a region free Blu Ray player (yes) and a UK Blu Ray player that's been hacked to be region free for DVDs only. I have watched US DVD releases on both and there is no difference that I could see - and I'm a pernickety fecker at the best of times! Also never heard of this phenomenon of losing quality before - assume it's a myth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Arrow Films and Masters of Cinema would be the closest local equivalents of Criterion - high-quality transfers, fetching artwork and generous supplementary materials (usually booklets as well as the on-disc extras). The former are well known for their cult and genre releases (although their 'Academy' range features a lot of well-regarded classics), while the latter focus on classics and obscurities from world cinema. Neither has the diversity of Criterion, but they still have a ****load of fantastic releases, and worth looking into if you're not willing to put in the effort of going multi-region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Once you get a region free DVD (or preferably blu-ray) player check out Barnes & Noble around June/July and November. They've 50% off all Criterions and deliver internationally, always get a few when that time of year rolls around. :)

...and there's no noticeable dip in quality for me, I can safely say that they're the best looking blu-rays I own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

e_e wrote: »
    Once you get a region free DVD (or preferably blu-ray) player check out Barnes & Noble around June/July and November. They've 50% off all Criterions and deliver internationally, always get a few when that time of year rolls around. :)

...and there's no noticeable dip in quality for me, I can safely say that they're the best looking blu-rays I own.

I love the extra's they have on them, along with the picture quality which is stunning but they are crazy expensive but good to hear they do go for cheap. Seven Samurai Criterion DVD is worth any price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

e_e wrote: »

Ah genius, thank you!

What region free Blu Ray player would you guys recommend?

Ah genius, thank you!

Region free blu ray players are REALLY hard to get this side of the water. You can get one from the US but you'll need a transformer to use it to account for the voltage difference. I got mine from Richersounds in Belfast but it requires some jiggers pokey to make it multi region and may not stay that way whenever the next firmware update comes. Mail them - they have a forum on boards.

You might find one on adverts or ebay too, worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Ah genius, thank you!

I bought a Panasonic from these guys, they are not cheap but they deliver to Ireland and all can be firmware updated. If you are going to start a Criterion collection a region free player is a must.

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/

rednik wrote: »
    I bought a Panasonic from these guys, they are not cheap but they deliver to Ireland and all can be firmware updated. If you are going to start a Criterion collection a region free player is a must.

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/

Thanks for that, hadn't heard of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I got a cheap LG US Blu ray player for about 50 quid on ebay and it works perfectly.

Just use that whenever I want to watch a US one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Arrow Films and Masters of Cinema would be the closest local equivalents of Criterion - high-quality transfers, fetching artwork and generous supplementary materials (usually booklets as well as the on-disc extras). The former are well known for their cult and genre releases (although their 'Academy' range features a lot of well-regarded classics), while the latter focus on classics and obscurities from world cinema. Neither has the diversity of Criterion, but they still have a ****load of fantastic releases, and worth looking into if you're not willing to put in the effort of going multi-region.

Ha! Arrow Films? The problems with THEIR DISCS is almost VIRAL
    at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

at this stage.

How do you mean? Thheir website seemed good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

at this stage.

What are YOU on about?

Is it really NECESSARY to use capitals for RANDOM words in everything you POST?

It's pretty darn STUPID.

I've bought a number of the ARROW releases and there is NOTHING wrong with any OF them.

Advertisement