Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite David Fincher film and why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Fight Club

My third favourite of Fincher's. To be honest it's hard to separate this, Seven and Zodiac. The
    twist at the end seems so obvious on second viewing
    but still great on the first. This is the film that made me want to watch anything else that Fincher was going to make.

10/10

Love Fight Club, possible contender for favourite movie of the 90s for me. I've been meaning to re-watch it lately, but I don't remember the ending being telegraphed in the slightest. Curious as to why you thought it was so obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Fight Club, for me. I read the book and I ****ing hated it. Couldn't get into the style and I hated the character, so I quit about halfway in. I'd heard good things about the film so I watched it after giving up on the book, maybe five years ago now, and it still stands as one of my favourite films of all time, and easily one of the best book adaptations ever. That said, I do actually think Fight Club was always gonna be a far better film than book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fight Club, for me. I read the book and I ****ing hated it. Couldn't get into the style and I hated the character, so I quit about halfway in. I'd heard good things about the film so I watched it after giving up on the book, maybe five years ago now, and it still stands as one of my favourite films of all time, and easily one of the best book adaptations ever. That said, I do actually think Fight Club was always gonna be a far better film than book.

You can't really compare the two if you've only read half of it. There's a soap opera type quality to the book's ending that I sometimes find interesting, but I prefer the definitive place the movie ends up.

edit: Just bought the kindle edition there because I remember it almost reading like a screenplay. Just skimming it and it reads incredibly close to what's on screen e.g. Bob's introduction is almost verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I've said it before, and I will say it again, I have to watch Zodiac soon.

Regarding Alien 3, I like the Assembly cut. Watched it a few years ago and thought it was a big improvement.

I didn't vote as I have not seen all the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Who is voting for Alien 3 and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?

Suspicious.gif

I voted for Alien 3! The new cut is excellent. It's obviously not his best film. That's Zodiac or The Social Network. But I've seen Alien 3 the most out of all his movies and love revisiting it every now and then.

It's problem is you can't help comparing it to the previous Alien movies. Taken on its own terms it's a dark, subversive and blackly funny sci-fi movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Se7en, for sure. Absolutely hated The Game, though that may have more to do with the premise and Michael Douglas.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Se7en is a masterpiece, brilliant performances all round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I will whole heartedly defend Benjamin Button - It immediately struck a chord with me. I'm not 100% sure why, I became a father for the first time when I watched it and after 4 or 5 viewings since, I genuinely feel it’s a beautiful, warm tale with plenty of charm.

I love Finchers darker stuff (The Game got my vote for Number #1 here) so I not a raving sentimentalist fanboy, but Ben Button would be in my 10 top of all time without any effort and I struggle to find how many find it a hugely flawed piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Fight club for me, Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favourite authors and the movie is just the perfect adaptation, loved every aspect of the movie and will not get tired of watching it!

Advertisement