Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Superb overheating

• 16-04-2021 7:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Any one have experience of this? It’s a 2017 2.0tdi 190, from cold start it gets up to temperature and sits there for about 10 minutes, it then starts to over heat, hasn’t gone into the red yet. When it starts I stick the heating up full and it drops down to 90 for a while then starts rising up again.

I’ve read that the water pump in this engine can give bother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭keane16

dylbert wrote: »
    Any one have experience of this? It’s a 2017 2.0tdi 190, from cold start it gets up to temperature and sits there for about 10 minutes, it then starts to over heat, hasn’t gone into the red yet. When it starts I stick the heating up full and it drops down to 90 for a while then starts rising up again.

I had the same issue with a 2014 Octavia, it was the water pump, replaced and no issue since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Sounds like a stuck closed thermostat. When an engine is cold at first startup there's a coolant bypass near the thermostat that circulates coolant directly back into the engine to speed up the engine getting to temperature. After 10-15 mins at idle the engine temperature reaches a level that causes the thermostat to then open, allowing coolant to flow out of the engine and into the top of the radiator,out the bottom and back into the engine. They usually fail in a stuck closed position. I wouldn't say it's water pump related you'd hear a whining noise from bearings in the pump or see a noticeable leak of coolant underneath the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd be going with the water pump as a first step.

It's a popular issue with them where the pump shroud starts to stick and gets stuck closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭John.G

A change anyway from when bits of the plastic impeller on the "normal" pump impeller used to break off, another way of getting a faster heat up. At some stage electrically heated thermostats were used to increase the coolant temperature at idling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

So had the car with the mechanic on Tuesday, he checked it over and said he’s 90% that it’s the mechanical water pump, he said I could book it in to get it done in two week along with the trimming belt, strange thing is the car hasn’t overheated since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

So had the car with the mechanic on Tuesday, he checked it over and said he’s 90% that it’s the mechanical water pump, he said I could book it in to get it done in two week along with the trimming belt, strange thing is the car hasn’t overheated since?

What kind of mileage is on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

What kind of mileage is on it?

115k km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If it's getting stuck the odd time.

It's getting stuck.

Get the work done an the belt. Your preventive maintenance will stand to you.

Advertisement