Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vrt on Motorbike imported from N Ireland

Options
  • 14-04-2021 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

About the vat under 6000km thing. A 125 in N Ireland is 2012 with 5000km. Do the vrt people treat this as having to pay vat even if it’s 9 years old!
    And it’s an NI reg so is the mileage in miles or km?
    Is the vat payable based on what I paid for the bike or on their ‘market’ price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

lipso wrote: »
    About the vat under 6000km thing. A 125 in N Ireland is 2012 with 5000km. Do the vrt people treat this as having to pay vat even if it’s 9 years old!
    Is the vat payable based on what I paid for the bike or on their ‘market’ price?

Yep less than 6000km it's deemed a new vechicle so vat is applicable.
    Yep age isn't relevant when under 6000km, ride it 1001km between now and when your vrt appointment date is.
    None of us could possibly know what the clocks are reading in without seeing them if that's what you're asking.
    If your asking is the measurement the vrt use in miles or km for an NI registered bike, it's km everything we do is in km.
    Vat is based on invoice price if they think you're being dodgy they could go by a omsp.

If its an English reg bike that isn't imported to NI properly you're liable for vat and duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Colm Cummins

Ask the seller if it is miles or Kilometres. If it is 5000 miles you will not have to pay VAT, 5000miles is 8000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Ask the seller if it is miles or Kilometres. If it is 5000 miles you will not have to pay VAT, 5000miles is 8000km.

how difficult is it to change the clock? not your fault if it broken and can't read past 5000km

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

The mileage only counts on the day you present it for registration so just get driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

Asked about this at a nct vrt office. She said the vat would be 23% of the price I paid for the bike so I thought that wouldn’t be too bad as I only paid 200. But she said they have a minimum of 550, so would be 23% of 550.
    Also re if it’s miles or km, she said they go by the colour of the digits on the odometer. Their colour should match the colour of the kph part of the speedo or the mph part.

• Advertisement

Asked about this at a nct vrt office. She said the vat would be 23% of the price I paid for the bike so I thought that wouldn’t be too bad as I only paid 200. But she said they have a minimum of 550, so would be 23% of 550.
    Also re if it’s miles or km, she said they go by the colour of the digits on the odometer. Their colour should match the colour of the kph part of the speedo or the mph part.

I'm assuming she meant the dominant/prominent measurement. Say its mph with small km/h they'll read it as miles.
    Doesn't make a difference if they read mph, km/h or miles per second, they'll go by the km equivalent.
    Is it a digital or analogue speedo?

Remember most of these people are essentially clerical staff and have no idea about vechicles.
    I vrtd a bike and had to tell her it was miles and show her on the clock face.

You'd still be under €200 vat + vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭emo72

Just buy a broken clock in a breakers and swap it out. You don't even have to connect it up once the can read it.

Went through this recently with a low mileage bike, I know the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Yep less than 6000km it's deemed a new vechicle so vat is applicable.
    Yep age isn't relevant when under 6000km, ride it 1001km between now and when your vrt appointment date is.
    None of us could possibly know what the clocks are reading in without seeing them if that's what you're asking.
    If your asking is the measurement the vrt use in miles or km for an NI registered bike, it's km everything we do is in km.
    Vat is based on invoice price if they think you're being dodgy they could go by a omsp.

If its an English reg bike that isn't imported to NI properly you're liable for vat and duties.

So what is Vat and duties on a bike from England now? Can’t figure it out. Got a bike last year so only VRT applied.

Is there a way to get it imported via Northern Ireland? What the trick :)

Thanks

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    So what is Vat and duties on a bike from England now? Can’t figure it out. Got a bike last year so only VRT applied.

Is there a way to get it imported via Northern Ireland? What the trick :)

Thanks

Vrt is still set at what it always was, vat is 23% of purchase price + transport + duties, can't remember duty figure 10% is a safe bet.

Absaloutly 0% chance of bringing it in through NI to avoid vat and duties, if it isn't properly registered in NI, they will treat it as having come from England.

Vrt is still set at what it always was, vat is 23% of purchase price + transport + duties, can't remember duty figure 10% is a safe bet.

Absaloutly 0% chance of bringing it in through NI to avoid vat and duties, if it isn't properly registered in NI, they will treat it as having come from England.

Thanks for that.

So bikes imports from England are a thing of the past now....

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

So bikes imports from England are a thing of the past now....

If you're still getting a great deal makes sense otherwise just go to Europe

If you're still getting a great deal makes sense otherwise just go to Europe

Where are lads buying in Europe?

What websites?

What transport?

Sorry for all the questions/thread hijack and thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Where are lads buying in Europe?

What websites?

What transport?

Sorry for all the questions/thread hijack and thanks for help.

use autoscout24
    https://www.autoscout24.com/

I've a friend starting to do regular trips to Europe with a Van for bikes.
    If you see something you're looking at he might be able to grab it too. He was saying on Saturday he's considering doing transportation as well as buying bikes himself to sell in Ireland

goblin59 wrote: »
    use autoscout24
    https://www.autoscout24.com/

I've a friend starting to do regular trips to Europe with a Van for bikes.
    If you see something you're looking at he might be able to grab it too. He was saying on Saturday he's considering doing transportation as well as buying bikes himself to sell in Ireland

There's a few lads are flat out, route planning isn't always their strong suit though.

Sorry for another question.

So if I import a 5 year old/10k km NI bike that is already registered in NI (on UK or NI) plates no vAT or duties apply? Only VRT - right?

If so does that bike have to be registered in NI for a minimum period?

Thanks

Sorry for another question.

So if I import a 5 year old/10k km NI bike that is already registered in NI (on UK or NI) plates no vAT or duties apply? Only VRT - right?

If so does that bike have to be registered in NI for a minimum period?

Thanks

Yep vat and duty free,
    Has to be properly registered to an NI address.
    Personally wouldn't chance a newly registered to NI bike, if they think it's dodge they'll most likely add vat and duties.
    Didn't you try to import a bike at the start of the year actually? If that was you I'd be avoiding the ball ache of brexit imports altogether and going to Europe or just get an Irish bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I can't understand how can they charge you VAT on transport if you transport the bike yourself.

I'm hoping to bring in a bike from the Isle of Man (Same as UK) its 1996 but only has 2500miles on it. Can only get a VRT figure for it - €94. I'm organising the transport myself so how can they include it for VAT purposes??
    Will they charge VAT at standard min rate of 23% of €550? Do I need a receipt from seller to prove what i paid for it? Private sale

P.S. apologies for thread hi-jack, I just can't get an answer anywhere.

Yep vat and duty free,
    Has to be properly registered to an NI address.
    Personally wouldn't chance a newly registered to NI bike, if they think it's dodge they'll most likely add vat and duties.
    Didn't you try to import a bike at the start of the year actually? If that was you I'd be avoiding the ball ache of brexit imports altogether and going to Europe or just get an Irish bike

Thanks again.

Last time I actually imported was in June last year so this VAT/Duty stuff is new to me.

Would prefer to buy an Irish bike if a suitable one comes up.

Probably a bit dodge buying private from EU given language barrier (for me anyways) unless from a dealer. Was comfortable enough chatting lads in UK as you get a feel of who you are dealing with. Last UK purchased viewed bike on WhatsApp sent money via Revolut and had bike collected.

Such a shame this market is effectively closed down for private buyers.

Can’t figure out how some independent dealers are still bringing in lorry loads of UK bikes....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I can't understand how can they charge you VAT on transport if you transport the bike yourself.

I'm hoping to bring in a bike from the Isle of Man (Same as UK) its 1996 but only has 2500miles on it. Can only get a VRT figure for it - €94. I'm organising the transport myself so how can they include it for VAT purposes??
    Will they charge VAT at standard min rate of 23% of €550? Do I need a receipt from seller to prove what i paid for it? Private sale

could you charge yourself 0 for transport? You might have to show that you transported it tho, receipts for ferry travel etc.

Transport has to be proven ie ferry receipt
    If its a man with a van job/ vechicle transporter they charge on that.
    Prove you brought her over and back with a van/trailer you should be OK, ticket should have reg on it.

Vat is basically
    €550 - price
    + 0 - Transport
    = €550 + 10% duties (€55) = €605
    €605 + 23%(€139.15) = €744.15 + €94 vrt = €838.15

That's assuming you have added the 1977 extra km to it before the vrt date otherwise at 4k km it'll be treated as a new bike.

You need a receipt with a price, just type it up and both sign it, there's a minimum figure think €500?.

• Advertisement

Thanks again.

Last time I actually imported was in June last year so this VAT/Duty stuff is new to me.

Would prefer to buy an Irish bike if a suitable one comes up.

Probably a bit dodge buying private from EU given language barrier (for me anyways) unless from a dealer. Was comfortable enough chatting lads in UK as you get a feel of who you are dealing with. Last UK purchased viewed bike on WhatsApp sent money via Revolut and had bike collected.

Such a shame this market is effectively closed down for private buyers.

Can’t figure out how some independent dealers are still bringing in lorry loads of UK bikes....

There's lads going to Europe every week bringing in bikes or collecting them.
    Because dealers add the vrt cost into their margin, let's be honest you're already getting ripped off in most dealers on old bikes.

lennymc wrote: »
    could you charge yourself 0 for transport? You might have to show that you transported it tho, receipts for ferry travel etc.

Hey Lennymc, long time no see.

If i ride it home do I have to show them the ferry receipt? Very unfair if I have to pay vat on the ferry ticket and then pay vat on it again here too.

Transport has to be proven ie ferry receipt
    If its a man with a van job/ vechicle transporter they charge on that.
    Prove you brought her over and back with a van/trailer you should be OK, ticket should have reg on it.

Vat is basically
    €550 - price
    + 0 - Transport
    = €550 + 10% duties (€55) = €605
    €605 + 23%(€139.15) = €744.15 + €94 vrt = €838.15

That's assuming you have added the 1977 extra km to it before the vrt date otherwise at 4k km it'll be treated as a new bike.

You need a receipt with a price, just type it up and both sign it, there's a minimum figure think €500?.

Thanks for that, say my mate was giving me the bike for free, what happens then? How can you proove you did / didn't have to pay for it? Or should i just say i paid €550 for it and type up our own receipt?

There won't be any extra mileage on it - I want it kept as low as possible.

So is this right:
    Bike €550 (min figure)
    Transport €250 (approx)
    = €800 + 10% = €880
    €880 + 23% (€202.40) = €1082.40
    How do you factor mileage into this?

Thanks for that, say my mate was giving me the bike for free, what happens then? How can you proove you did / didn't have to pay for it? Or should i just say i paid €550 for it and type up our own receipt?

There won't be any extra mileage on it - I want it kept as low as possible.

So is this right:
    Bike €550 (min figure)
    Transport €250 (approx)
    = €800 + 10% = €880
    €880 + 23% (€202.40) = €1082.40
    How do you factor mileage into this?

If the bike has under 6000 km it's classified as a new bike regardless of age so you'll pay vat on the figure of it being new.
    So get 2000km on it or it's a gna cost ya a bomb.

Ehm I think the minimum amount is €500 not 100% so I'd put it down at around that.
    You paying for it doesn't matter you will be charged on the minimum amount.

I'm not 100% but I don't think you pay on the cost of ferry if you trailer or ride it back, I think (again not sure) it's based on someone charging you to ship it

If i ride it home do I have to show them the ferry receipt? Very unfair if I have to pay vat on the ferry ticket and then pay vat on it again here too.

You do have to show the ferry ticket If you personally bring it in.
    That's just to prove when it came into the country.

how are you keeping.

I dunno what the story would be on that, but if you were showing free delivery, or no charge delivery, the chargeable vat on 0 would be 0. iykwim

If the bike has under 6000 km it's classified as a new bike regardless of age so you'll pay vat on the figure of it being new.
    So get 2000km on it or it's a gna cost ya a bomb.

Any idea what would that figure be if mileage is left as is? €500 if thats what the bike cost?

Any idea what would that figure be if mileage is left as is? €500 if thats what the bike cost?

It would be 21% of original bike price, so if originally the bike was 10k, you would be paying 2100 vat on it regardless of age, as it is considered new.

lennymc wrote: »
    It would be 21% of original bike price, so if originally the bike was 10k, you would be paying 2100 vat on it regardless of age, as it is considered new.

You are feckin joking me? Ahh here, it can stay where it is so. :(

• Advertisement

You are feckin joking me? Ahh here, it can stay where it is so. :(

unless you get the mileage up.

Advertisement