Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiesta ST indicator problem

• 11-04-2021 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭

For the last couple of weeks I've had an intermittent error message come up "right indicator malfunction - change bulb", and up to yesterday it had only happened while driving so I wasn't sure which bulb it was.

Eventually, the rear bulb on that side has stopped working almost completely, so I changed the bulb, and still have the same issue. I tested the bulb on the other side also to make sure, and that side is working fine with the new bulb also.

I've checked the plug and all the pins look clean and wiggling the wires around with the indicator on doesn't change anything, so doesn't look like any of those wires are loose.

Only other thing I can think of is the relay needing replacement, but would that not prevent all the indicators on that side from working?

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm barely driving it, so it's not really that urgent to resolve at least.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could be rust or broken wires on the inside of the housing that cause the issue because of vibrations. Check the wires leading into the bulb housing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Get someone to help you test it. Have them hold the brake pedal/select reverse/switch lights & fog-lights etc while you watch the light cluster when the indicator is switched on that side & make sure everything else is working properly. If you notice another light working oddly, like the brake light blinking in that cluster when the brake & indicator are both active, it might indicate something like your indicator on that side not earthing properly. If you get an odd result like this & are able to identify the wiring properly, you can test the indicator working properly by switching it on & earthing the circuit from the loom to bare metal, if doing this resolves the problem it can be fixed easily by running a new earth to the body.

With the bulb removed have a look inside the bulb holder, check that the holder itself is clean & dry with no signs of moisture or corrosion. I’m not familiar with the Fords particularly but there’s normally metal contacts of some form in the bulb holder, make sure they’re dry, clean & able to make good contact with where they should be on the bulb. The contacts can often get dirty or look like they’re black at the end where they contact the bulb, they can be easily cleaned with a small file/sandpaper or even scraped where they’ve blackened with a small flathead screwdriver. They don’t have to be winning any cleanliness awards just make sure you’re getting a metal-to-metal contact when the bulb is back in the holder.

Check the wiring loom from the light cluster as far as you can back towards the inside of the car. Double check if the loom goes through the car body (normally inside a rubber sleeve) when the boot is opened, sometimes wires within the looms can get caught/cut or ground mistakingly at movement points such as these.

While you’re working around the boot area it might be worth removing all the boot-floor coverings to check for any moisture underneath. In our lovely climate our cars can often hold any water that gets in & with so many cars now storing electronic control boxes/batteries etc in the boot these days it’s worth having a peek, especially in a car that’s not driven much. I was off the road recently for 12 months & the (relatively modern) car had attempted to transform into a swimming venue while parked up.

If you get this far & have no luck fixing the issue you’ll probably have to take it to a professional. Hope you get it sorted but please, if you’re unfamiliar with these in-car wiring systems it’s often not worth poking around. If in doubt, go to the experts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Thanks for the advice, I'll test all of that during the week and see how it goes. It's going to the local ford dealer for a service next month anyway and I won't need to drive it before then, so I have that as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

If anyone else was curious, I figured out the issue here; the pin contacting the side of the indicator bulb had bent back to where it was barely touching the bulb and was just at the point of breaking off completely. When I tried to gently bend it back out to touch the bulb it just snapped off.

The bulb holder is a sealed unit so I'll pick up a new holder from a breaker in the next few days.

Advertisement