Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamb nut rusted to inner tie rod threads

• 10-04-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all, in the middle of changing my outer track rods. Broke the jamb nut loose but it's spinning the entire inner tie rod assembly instead of the nut spinning on the threads, ill be getting it tracked anyway just wondering if this would impact the tracking as is? I've counted the turns to remove old outer rod and counted the same putting new one on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭mk7r

Heat it up to free it with a torch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

mk7r wrote: »
    Heat it up to free it with a torch

Have no access to a torch I'm afraid, would it matter much if I just tighten the jamb nut back up with the inner tie rod spinning with it and let the guys at the tyre shop deal with it when it's being tracked?

Its not an ideal setup, they need to be able to loosen it and freely rotate the tie rod. You need to get it free or replace the tie rod assembly too.

mk7r wrote: »
    Its not an ideal setup, they need to be able to loosen it and freely rotate the tie rod. You need to get it free or replace the tie rod assembly too.

Okay I'll try to put a wrench on the inner rod and see what I can do with penetrating fluid and a wire brush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

When you removed the TRE did you try bringing the locknut out after it for a few threads - this would give you a chance to clean up the rest of the threads with a wire brush, having soaked them in penetrating oil.
    Using penetrating oil I have found that it needs lots of time to do its work.

• Advertisement

dooroy wrote: »
    When you removed the TRE did you try bringing the locknut out after it for a few threads - this would give you a chance to clean up the rest of the threads with a wire brush, having soaked them in penetrating oil.
    Using penetrating oil I have found that it needs lots of time to do its work.

Yeah I tried moving the nut towards the end of the inner tie rod shaft aswell as back the other way, lots of penetrating fluid, locked a pliers onto the shaft and all but swung off it, no joy in the end though. I have everything back together now ill just have the lads doing the tracking to take a torch to it

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    Yeah I tried moving the nut towards the end of the inner tie rod shaft aswell as back the other way, lots of penetrating fluid, locked a pliers onto the shaft and all but swung off it, no joy in the end though. I have everything back together now ill just have the lads doing the tracking to take a torch to it

Some places will do it, others won't waste their time if the parts are seized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 Ryertex

Sorry a bit late but might be useful some other time. If there’s enough space to do this, get two hammers and hit opposite flats on the nut at the same time. Both hammers have to hit at the same time and don’t spare the force. Has often (not always) been successful for me.

Ryertex wrote: »
    Sorry a bit late but might be useful some other time. If there’s enough space to do this, get two hammers and hit opposite flats on the nut at the same time. Both hammers have to hit at the same time and don’t spare the force. Has often (not always) been successful for me.

Could work, that's how I remove the outer rod from the steering knuckle,a few whacks on the knuckle and it breaks the rust and pops out, hasn't failed me yet, never thought to try it on the nut. I could probably just about get enough clearance horizontally if I take the outer rod off again and let the inner hang down.

Advertisement