Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windshield wiper

Options
  • 09-04-2021 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Passenger side windshield wiper doesn't make contact with my windscreen it misses most of the dirt and water. Checked the assembly and there's no tension at the spring, I can lift the wiper arm up and it'll just stay in place like its seized, drivers side works fine and snaps back onto the window as soon as you let it go. Do I need a new wiper arm for passenger side? The spring isn't rusty looking and I've hit it with wd40 anyway but it didn't do anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It the car old? Maybe take it apart and clean it.
    You could try with adding a strong rubber band or something to increase tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

biko wrote: »
    It the car old? Maybe take it apart and clean it.
    You could try with adding a strong rubber band or something to increase tension.

Its a 2013, no rust anywhere in sight around that area on the arms or around them. Its just annoying I can see the section of the windscreen that is never wiped

How long since you changed the blade? Maybe that alone will help.

biko wrote: »
    How long since you changed the blade? Maybe that alone will help.

Blades are a few months old, in perfect condition, the issue is with the hinge where the spring causes the arm to put pressure against the windscreen, its not doing that so when the wiper is in position its barely touching the windscreen, I'd just like to know would I need to replace the arm itself or if anyone has any ideas as to what could help because spraying it with wd40 did nothing

It's impossible to say without seeing it, but it's rare to change the arm.
    Take it to a mechanic and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Drop of oil on hinge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Put some oil on the hinge and work it up and down many times, it should free out and start to apply tension again.
    Oil the spring pivots as well where they contact.

I've oiled the hinge and moved it up and down a few times, no difference, there isn't a spot of rust on the spring or the arm itself

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Off to the scrapyard with you.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Off to the scrapyard with you.

The car would break down on the way there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    The car would break down on the way there

While you’re in the scrapyard, get a wiper with a working car attached.

Just to update i ended up removing the wiper arm assembly and just giving it a thorough clean there was some sort of mushy buildup on the underside that you could only see when the wiper arm is off the car, so gave it a good clean, sprayed all the area in and around the spring and hinge with lubricant that I couldn't access with the arm on the car. Installed it on the car again and *snap*. Down onto the windscreen. Like new, its a small win but that wiper missing half the windscreen really annoyed me.

Advertisement