Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test - instructor's car at fault

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

With instructor I had issue with - he refunded - he said the tester was wrong and shouldn’t comment on things he has no knowledge about -

this would be the same instructor that charged money for a car with low coolant and where the warning light for that came on twice during the test. as a result they are now refunding you. I'm not sure they are qualified to say what the tester does or does not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The issue of the tester asking my son if he felt safe to drive caused him unexpected and unnecessary distraction - the tester should have cancelled the test if he felt car was unsafe - or kept his opinion to himself - if he felt it was safe - he sat in it for 40 minutes -

Probably questioning your son's overall knowledge of basic car maintenance. Low coolant is not a safety issue. It may destroy your engine, but it does not affect it's safety.

Low brake fluid level would be another thing.

If that's affecting your son's confidence enough to fail him in a test then he obviously isn't ready for the road.

What exactly did he fail on? Was he not given a fail sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

mickdw wrote: »
    Very shoddy by the hiring instructor.
    I dont buy the bit about the eco system - did son not do lessons in the same car?
    Coolant level should be right - instructor knows how fussy testers are about these checks - and there is the further problem of being very off putting.
    Overall, a complete f*ckup but you can only go again.

I don’t know why you don’t buy about the eco system - it was only explained to him 5 minutes before the test and should have been done on previous lessons - when the three point / reverse came on my son was not aware how to utilise that feature and the tester threw out a couple of suggestions - inadequate instruction in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Smacks of sour grapes to me.
    The car was found suitable for the test by the tester. Your son couldn't handle the pressure and bottled it.
    And from your posts...The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    And may I ask is your son an essential worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

do you think the tester should have ignored the "low coolant" warning that appeared twice during the test?

Definitely yes. Car was perfectly safe to drive.
    The issue of the tester asking my son if he felt safe to drive caused him unexpected and unnecessary distraction - the tester should have cancelled the test if he felt car was unsafe - or kept his opinion to himself - if he felt it was safe - he sat in it for 40 minutes -

A full licenced or competent driver should be able to still drive the car after a few comments.

With a little more practice hopefully he will pass his test next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

It was a question not an opinion, which the instructor is entitled to ask. The car was indicating an issue so it that may or may not be fit for testing. He asked your son, as the driver of the car if it was safe. Imo your beef is with the DI not the tester in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Your son was in charge of the car. The tester asking your son if he considered it safe to drive is similar to at an NCT you signing that the it is safe to undergo the NCT test. If the car overheated and was damaged then the tester had highlighted the issue to your son.

You son is supposed to present for the test with a car that is safe to drive. If the tester cancelled the test because of a car safety issue like an indication light not working there is no refund, you apply for a retest and are charged for it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Definitely yes. Car was perfectly safe to drive.

safe for the passengers, yes. safe for the car, not so much.

lalababa wrote: »
    Smacks of sour grapes to me.
    The car was found suitable for the test by the tester. Your son couldn't handle the pressure and bottled it.
    And from your posts...The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    And may I ask is your son an essential worker?

If the tester kept his opinion to himself it would be better - no need for smart arse remarks not relevant to the post - any novice driver would be put off - he also made a further reference to the safety , again prior to heading off - this is off putting to a novice driver -

You may ask - read level 5 instructions re essential workers to educate yourself and you will know the answer to that question -

With instructor I had issue with - he refunded - he said the tester was wrong and shouldn’t comment on things he has no knowledge about -

He is incorrect the tester had spotted an issue where technically damage could be done to the car. The car could over heat and blow a head gasket. Before you do a test you are supposed to have checked and made sure all lights and indicators are working, all oil and coolant levels are ok, the horn is working etc.

The tester saw this was not so, he was happy that the car was neither a danger to him or any member of the public however he had to ask was the person in charge of the car happy that the car was ok to do the test.

If your son was aware of general car maintenance he could have put some water maybe from a bottle he had with him in the coolant system and prevented the warning light coming on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

He is incorrect the tester had spotted an issue where technically damage could be done to the car. The car could over heat and blow a head gasket. Before you do a test you are supposed to have checked and made sure all lights and indicators are working, all oil and coolant levels are ok, the horn is working etc.

The tester saw this was not so, he was happy that the car was neither a danger to him or any member of the public however he had to ask was the person in charge of the car happy that the car was ok to do the test.

If your son was aware of general car maintenance he could have put some water maybe from a bottle he had with him in the coolant system and prevented the warning light coming on

I agree with this to some degree - the instructor was in the car saw the warning light on twice HE should filled his car - it’s being hired from him for the test - instructor was wrong - act of omission-
    His inaction , caused subsequent events -
    He is at fault In my opinion- and by the his refund that confirms my view

I agree with this to some degree - the instructor was in the car saw the warning light on twice HE should filled his car - it’s being hired from him for the test - instructor was wrong - act of omission-
    His inaction , caused subsequent events -

If the instructor saw the warning light coming on he should be more than refunding the price of the car charge, he should be meeting any costs such as extra lesson and price of retest.

He should have checked the reason for the warning light and filled coolant levels

Slava Ukrainii

If the instructor saw the warning light coming on he should be more than refunding the price of the car charge, he should be meeting any costs such as extra lesson and price of retest.

He should have checked the reason for the warning light and filled coolant levels

I agree completely and that was my view -
    I felt bad asking him for full refund -
    He is trying to make a living like everyone else.
    I was quite annoyed that he allowed his car in the full knowledge that it was showing a fault to go ahead for a test - when he could simply have topped it up and the following events would not have occurred thanks all -

I’m finished with this now - if you want to close the thread mods - the purpose of the thread has been achieved - thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Judging by your posts, I would say he refunded you to get rid of you rather than any admission of fault.

I get the impression that you would have found fault somewhere other than your son either way.

Fact is - tester gave your son thr opportunity to pass. Believe me, they would not have gone out in the car otherwise. He was not good enough on the day.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Judging by your posts, I would say he refunded you to get rid of you rather than any admission of fault.

I get the impression that you would have found fault somewhere other than your son either way.

Fact is - tester gave your son thr opportunity to pass. Believe me, they would not have gone out in the car otherwise. He was not good enough on the day.

Your impression is wrong - why to be making comments like that is strange -I forgive you - covid is hard for all - as I say I felt empathy for the instructor - he asked me fairly quickly if I wanted a refund - in fairness he said to me I couldn’t understand what he was doing - instructor said he was nearby and watching what was going on -
    I gave him a five star review - he was very grateful for it - it was an unfortunate chain of events - job done - try to be generous with your comments and take what is said is true - and be helpful rather than dismissive - not everyone - well in my world anyway is out to “ scam” people as you infer - “ nice to be nice “

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

Your impression is wrong - why to be making comments like that is strange -I forgive you - covid is hard for all - as I say I felt empathy for the instructor - he asked me fairly quickly if I wanted a refund - in fairness he said to me I couldn’t understand what he was doing - instructor said he was nearby and watching what was going on -
    I gave him a five star review - he was very grateful for it - it was an unfortunate chain of events - job done - try to be generous with your comments and take what is said is true - and be helpful rather than dismissive - not everyone - well in my world anyway is out to “ scam” people as you infer - “ nice to be nice “

In fairness, if you re-read your posts you are rather dismissive yourself and you seem hell bent on laying blame at the tester rather than your son's inability to attain competency in the test.

Also you infer, he implied

seamus wrote: »
    "Knocking his confidence" is kind of part and parcel of the driving test. The instructor isn't there to make the candidate feel at ease. You could argue that there's no need for the test to be as stressful as it is, but there's the opposite argument that a candidate should be so well prepared that they can pass their driving test even when under pressure. Because on the road and in real life, they will have days where they are under pressure, and they should be able to continue driving safely on those days too.

I had a similar issue when I rented a motorbike for a test. It broke down halfway to the test; ran out of oil. Pain in the hole for me, and the driving school arranged and paid for a new test. There's no much else they can do.

Likewise in this case the school have agreed to refund. It's shoddy from them, I'd go with someone else in future.

I do sympathise with your son to an extent - driving an unfamiliar vehicle can be stressful for the first 30 minutes, doubly so if you're a novice driver, triply so if you then have to drive the vehicle in test conditions.

I know from first-hand experience that when you rent a car from a school, you don't get half an hour to look over and familiarise yourself with the vehicle. The instructor appears five minutes before your test, you go for a quick spin around the car park and then you're into the test centre. It is difficult.

But it's also the way that your son chose to do it. So he needs to accept that. He'll be more prepared the next time.

I agree with this - I did all the tests there in every category - I passed in each case - having said - speaking as an experienced driver - you are - similarly , to an exam - “ hyped” up and prepared - any little thing can knock your off the mission a bit -your competence will attest to your result - a lot of people are missing the specific point - which caused me annoyance - the comments from the tester would not have occurred - if the instructor simply put a drop of coolant in the car - even the instructor acknowledged that - ( also the service due light came on a couple of times in the pre test - the instructor said - ah just cancel that - which you do by flicking a button on the driver steering wheel controls ) as the young lad successfully did his reverse etc before he did he cancel this service due light - again - and then do the reverse -
    That’s wrong - full stop - the instructor should be fixing these things without delay - it’s affecting the concentration -
    Re motorbike - when I did that the tester got very thick with me as I pulled up without his instructions and dismounted the bike - told him the radio set was too low - I couldn’t hear him - he made a point of saying that I shouldn’t have done that- I said well I can’t take instructions if I can’t hear you - he says - well it worked when we left the centre - the road noise was the issue - despite him being annoyed he passed me - things happen - I agree - you get in with it - instructor gave the refund as he agrees he should have had the matters rectified - I appreciated him doing that

In fairness, if you re-read your posts you are rather dismissive yourself and you seem hell bent on laying blame at the tester rather than your son's inability to attain competency in the test.

Also you infer, he implied

No I blame the instructor -blame is probably a bit harsh - his failure to have his car fully prepared should be best practice in my view - he was gracious and refunded - the tester did as he did - he wouldn’t have done anything if coolant level was correct - my son failed his test - no issue - There at all - issue with instructor -

It was a question not an opinion, which the instructor is entitled to ask. The car was indicating an issue so it that may or may not be fit for testing. He asked your son, as the driver of the car if it was safe. Imo your beef is with the DI not the tester in this instance.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Then you can stop harping on about how unfairly the tester treated your son by asking about the coolant.
    If he kept bringing it up multiple times he might have tried to give him some hints. It’s not his job to mollycoddle people taking the test.
    The DI agreed to refund you so I guess this should all be resolved now?

• Advertisement

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Then you can stop harping on about how unfairly the tester treated your son by asking about the coolant.
    If he kept bringing it up multiple times he might have tried to give him some hints. It’s not his job to mollycoddle people taking the test.
    The DI agreed to refund you so I guess this should all be resolved now?

Oh gosh yes - it’s resolved I think yesterday I asked the mods to close it !
    Harping on - Mnnnnnnn- just replying to various posters on occasion -indeed the matter is most certainly resolved to my utmost satisfaction and quite correctly -
    All’s well that ends well - I thank the positive contributions made -
    Happy Friday ðŸ‘

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement