Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake pads

• 27-03-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Please let me know how long it takes to bed-in new front brake pads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,441 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Back in the day rule of thumb was 200 miles take it easy with as little heavy breaking where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

cnoc wrote: »
    Please let me know how long it takes to bed-in new front brake pads?

I've always followed the 30:30:30 method and never had issues. 30 stops from 30 mph(50km/h) with 30 seconds in between. Firm presses on the brake pedal don't slam on it. Dont brake from 50km to 0km keep the car at 15 or 20km/h Should be good to go after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sounds like a whole lot of work.

I generally dont do anything, just drive as normal.

Once you aren't going auto testing immediatelyafter fitting, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I usually don't do anything but have used BlakeS94's advice on occasion when pads squeaked after swap. I would go out to the backroads of Connemara where there's no traffic.
    Don't come to a full stop when braking, and let the brakes cool while driving once you're finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Depends on the pads really. Some say they're addictive but I know I can stop any time I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    I've always followed the 30:30:30 method and never had issues. 30 stops from 30 mph(50km/h) with 30 seconds in between. Firm presses on the brake pedal don't slam on it. Dont brake from 50km to 0km keep the car at 15 or 20km/h Should be good to go after that

Completely unnecessary. Just drive the car normally. People buy brand new cars which have brand new pads and discs and they don't come with bedding in instructions, just like brake pads don't come with instructions on how to bed them in. Just drive as you normally would and they'll be fine.

I have been driving over 30 years and have changed the pads on countless number of cars and have never 'bedded' them in.

It might be required for big brake kits and for track brake set ups but for normal road use there is no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭BavarianCare

Completely unnecessary. Just drive the car normally. People buy brand new cars which have brand new pads and discs and they don't come with bedding in instructions, just like brake pads don't come with instructions on how to bed them in. Just drive as you normally would and they'll be fine.

I have been driving over 30 years and have changed the pads on countless number of cars and have never 'bedded' them in.

It might be required for big brake kits and for track brake set ups but for normal road use there is no need.

Try it with a F10 and come back to me after 5k ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

After a few days of driving theyll be fine.

Are you asking because your brakes feel poor?

Cos cheap pads feel poor

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

corkgsxr wrote: »
    After a few days of driving theyll be fine.

Are you asking because your brakes feel poor?

Cos cheap pads feel poor

No, I do not have any problem with the brakes. I got good quality pads fitted. My reason for asking the question was because I was due the NCT a few days later. Got through the NCT okay.

Thank you you all for the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭BavarianCare

No, I do not have any problem with the brakes. I got good quality pads fitted. My reason for asking the question was because I was due the NCT a few days later. Got through the NCT okay.

Thank you you all for the responses.

This is just out of curiosity - what are 'good quality pads'?
    This is not a pot shot, I'm actually curious as to what is considered 'good quality'.

Thanks for reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

This is not a pot shot, I'm actually curious as to what is considered 'good quality'.

Thanks for reading

We use Pagid or Textar where possible. Never have issues with brake fade or warping. Anytime we’ve used Mintex, I’ve found them ok too. As for bedding in pads, normal test drive is good enough as long as you explain to customers the pedal might feel a little softer than before , but normal feel will resume with continued driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Thanks for reading

We use Pagid or Textar where possible. Never have issues with brake fade or warping. Anytime we’ve used Mintex, I’ve found them ok too. As for bedding in pads, normal test drive is good enough as long as you explain to customers the pedal might feel a little softer than before , but normal feel will resume with continued driving.

I find Brembo pads are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fitting new pads to discs with ridges is where you need to be talking about bedding in. I realise
    such discs should be dumped but in my younger days, there were pads fitted to discs that should have been straight in the bin. Talk about a long pedal - serious vedding in needed.
    New discs and pads on the other hand and they feel perfect after about 5 miles.

mickdw wrote: »
    Fitting new pads to discs with ridges is where you need to be talking about bedding in. I realise
    such discs should be dumped but in my younger days, there were pads fitted to discs that should have been straight in the bin. Talk about a long pedal - serious vedding in needed.
    New discs and pads on the other hand and they feel perfect after about 5 miles.

Thanks for that info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Brakes are made up with friction material and filler.

The percent of brake material is what matters.

Lower the percent the worse they will feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thanks for reading

I've found mintex and a few other brands a bit clunky.
    Pagid make the pads for vag cars (at least some anyway) so you can save some money ( lets you you're buying Audi branded pads) by getting pagid ones.
    I've a lexus now and it hasn't needed pads but when it does I'll by looking up who make the oe pads for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For me it's really established name brands.
    Note - you will always get someone liking a brand that's not recognised and someone who don't like a common brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭hamburg

I find Brembo pads are good.
    i agree. i fitted brembo pads to my car in place of jurid pads and the difference was amazing.

Advertisement