Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of N26 - pros/cons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

athlone573 wrote: »
    N26 may still have free accounts

Money transfer in/out is by SEPA which may be slightly trickier than using debit card

N26 still have free accounts. Transfers are the same as any other bank account. Salary can be paid directly by your employer to your N26 bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

McGaggs wrote: »
    N26 still have free accounts. Transfers are the same as any other bank account. Salary can be paid directly by your employer to your N26 bank account.

Sorry to be pedantic but

Transfers are the same as any other European bank account!

Some of the Irish banks make it more difficult to transfer money to N26 as their systems treat non Irish IBANs separately (although they shouldn't, this is discrimination)

It is an annoyance rather than a blocker though.

Sorry to be pedantic but

Transfers are the same as any other European bank account!

Some of the Irish banks make it more difficult to transfer money to N26 as their systems treat non Irish IBANs separately (although they shouldn't, this is discrimination)

It is an annoyance rather than a blocker though.

I've only ever transferred to N26 from Ulster Bank and KBC who didn't put obstacles in the way. The Mrs is with AIB, who have something to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fafy

I am not familiar with KBC. the drawbacks I'm aware of with N26 are that they don't have a physical presence which can be convenient for lodging cash or cheques (and withdrawing cash) , and I don't think you can phone them in case of issues.
    Some people keep a local/Credit Union /Post Office account for these reasons.

N26 account holders - on the free basic account, can withdraw from any ATM, subject to the basic account restrictions, which is 3 withdrawals per month uncapped,
    versus,
    a total per month on free Revolut account, capped at a paltry 200.

Yes, you cannot lodge cash or cheques to N26, but this won't be an issue for most people, but it does depends on your own individual needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

all i want n26 for is to save money.just lodge a few quid in every now and then and keep it as a savings account only.will they charge you for that?

• Advertisement

all i want n26 for is to save money.just lodge a few quid in every now and then and keep it as a savings account only.will they charge you for that?

Not for a basic account no, Revolut the same, no charges on basic accounts.
    Good comparison here, between the two:

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/n26-compared-revolut.html

Latest Changes to Revolut, hitting those who use ATM's regularly:
    https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/banking/revolut-to-increase-its-fees-and-charges-for-second-time-in-less-than-a-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I've only ever transferred to N26 from Ulster Bank and KBC who didn't put obstacles in the way. The Mrs is with AIB, who have something to stop you.

I don't think that's right. I transfer easily between my AIB and N26 accounts and have done for years.

TBH, transferring between N26 and any Irish bank shouldn't be a problem. The issue is with certain utility providers who only accept Irish IBANs for Direct Debits (can't be bothered updating their systems)

dotsman wrote: »
    I don't think that's right. I transfer easily between my AIB and N26 accounts and have done for years.

TBH, transferring between N26 and any Irish bank shouldn't be a problem. The issue is with certain utility providers who only accept Irish IBANs for Direct Debits (can't be bothered updating their systems)

I think AIB make it difficult to set up the N26 account as a payee in the app. It was easier to get the Mrs to set up revolut than set up N26/bunq as a payee to send cash to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

McGaggs wrote:
    I think AIB make it difficult to set up the N26 account as a payee in the app. It was easier to get the Mrs to set up revolut than set up N26/bunq as a payee to send cash to me.

I can't even pay into N26 on the AIB app. Only Irish bank accounts is available.

If I transfer money to N26 from online site I have to use the card reader each time. It's all very cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

"N26 customers can also pay money into N26 by bank transfer. Top up by debit card is also possible but there is a 3% charge – so it is best to avoid it."

Quelle est la difference?:D

Surely they're one of the same as the debit card is attached to a separate bank entity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭feargantae

AIB won't let you save a payee on the app. You need to do it on their website and click the save button, then it'll show up on the app. You also need a card reader to do this, but they're free if ye haven't one already.

seligehgit wrote: »
    "N26 customers can also pay money into N26 by bank transfer. Top up by debit card is also possible but there is a 3% charge – so it is best to avoid it."

Quelle est la difference?:D

Surely they're one of the same as the debit card is attached to a separate bank entity?

It should be noted that since both Revolut and N26 support SEPA Instant you can top up Revolut instantly with credit/debit and then transfer it to N26 instantly too. A bit cumbersome but very much worth it to save 3% fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

feargantae wrote: »
    AIB won't let you save a payee on the app. You need to do it on their website and click the save button, then it'll show up on the app. You also need a card reader to do this, but they're free if ye haven't one already.

How do you save payee on the website? I made a payment yesterday from my AIB to my N26 using the card reader, but didn't see any option to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've been reading this Thread with interest, I'm a KBC customer, shocked at yesterday's news.

KBC have an excellent app, pretty much can do everything on it.

Would N26 be an alternative? My needs/ concerns would be.

Cost Of Lodging to an account (wages etc)
    Is their physical Debit Card accepted widely in Ireland & or using online?

Do Revenue & SW allow use of N26 as an account for lodgement purposes?

Is there a cost for using Debit Card, standard day to day usage.

Setting up Payee's? Is this possible? I pay my mortgage this way (irish IBAN & BIC)

Apologies is above questions asked, I've seen some concerns re utilities.

Thank you :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

So if you save N26 as a payee on open 24 or transfer via a Revolut card there are no charges?

chewed wrote: »
    How do you save payee on the website? I made a payment yesterday from my AIB to my N26 using the card reader, but didn't see any option to save it.

When you're doing a transfer online and pick payee, there should be a little tickbox to say to save it. Then itll show up on the AIB app

seligehgit wrote: »
    So if you save N26 as a payee on open 24 or transfer via a Revolut card there are no charges?

I'm not 100% sure, but i think SEPA transfers are usually free or very minimal fees. You can always just top up Revolut and then instantly transfer it to N26 as that is free.

When you're doing a transfer online and pick payee, there should be a little tickbox to say to save it. Then itll show up on the AIB app

It was easier to convince her to sign up to revolut than jump through the AIB hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I've been reading this Thread with interest, I'm a KBC customer, shocked at yesterday's news.

Setting up Payee's? Is this possible? I pay my mortgage this way (irish IBAN & BIC)

Only issue you might have is SW, but that's more down to staff training, they can do it it's just a knowledge issue on SW end. There'll either be no questions or an argument where you tell them to go check and they concede you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

TempAc wrote: »
    Only issue you might have is SW, but that's more down to staff training, they can do it it's just a knowledge issue on SW end. There'll either be no questions or an argument where you tell them to go check and they concede you are right.

Thanks for that

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

You're right about the app (just checked there). I never use the app to transfer, so never noticed that the app is limited to Irish account only. But it can be done via the online banking.

I've a standing order (setup online) to transfer funds to my N26 from AIB.
    I'm not 100% sure, but i think SEPA transfers are usually free or very minimal fees. You can always just top up Revolut and then instantly transfer it to N26 as that is free.

SEPA transfers are the same price as local. If you have free banking, they are free. If your bank charges you money to send to BOI/AIB/PTSB etc, then they will charge you the same to send to N26.

Dempo1 wrote: »

Heres a summary of N26 Free Standard Account, others can add anything i missed ! :

Yes to these for N26 Standard Account:

Can receive salary& wages into N26
    Can receive Revenue refunds into N26,
    Can receive DSP child benefit payments into N26,
    Can receive PUP payments into N26
    Can pay LPT direct debit from N26
    Can pay Revenue from N26
    Have direct debits from Vodafone, Spotify,Netflix, Electric Ireland, Flogas(manual form required for non Irish bank accounts)- no issues
    Basic account “N26 Standard” is free of fees, some limits on ATM withdrawals(3 per month are free, or 5 free if you lodge €1,000 per month), physical debit card costs €10 a one off fee.
    Have found currency exchange rates quite good, way better than Paypal, or the main Irish Banks.

You can set up Payees as normal, and regular standing orders can be scheduled as normal, just need IBAN.

The N26 APP is fine, and has a good desktop portal as well.

Have been using N26 Standard Card/Account for more than 6 months, had an issue making 1st ATM withdrawal, support sorted it promptly, no other issues, no fees.

Use tap all the time & chip & pin with the Standard card, no issues.
    The IBAN for N26 accounts, is German, commencing with DE
    N26 has the state bank guarantee in place(Revolut currently does not, allthough it has applied for an Irish Banking Licence)

No to these for N26 Standard Account:

i had it confirmed you cannot receive unemployment benefit payments into a non Irish bank account. (But oddly, PUP payments are fine)
    Bord Gais do not accept non Irish bank accounts, others have reported some issues with other utility providers, check in advance.
    “Some” organisations, have payroll systems which cannot cope with paying to non Irish bank accounts, so check this in advance, this is because the bank file generated to pay the payroll, is hard coded and is limited to Irish IBAN’s only.

You cannot lodge cheques, as there are no physical N26 branches.

No phone support is available, its email or web chat. Support chat is available 08:00 to 00:00 Irish time 365 days.

^
    ^
    Thanks so much.
    Excellent summation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Been with them about 2 years..can't fault them.

Use it for salary, savings and vaults as has bank guarantee (unlike Revolut).

Could bank 100% with them but other half and most people I know have revolut so have that for day to day spending as the split bull function is very good.

Still have BOi for a credit card but would consider moving that to n26 of they launch it here.

Closed everything else with BOI.

Cant remember the last time I used an ATM...Well before COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

Does anyone pay their mortgage by DD from an N26 account? Can it be done? Sickened that KBC will be leaving the Irish market and considering just having N26 for all my banking needs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

How are the non-Euro transactions with N26?

Is it worth using Revolut for this or will N26 just exchange on the fly and give you the best available rate similar to Revolut?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

How are the non-Euro transactions with N26?

Is it worth using Revolut for this or will N26 just exchange on the fly and give you the best available rate similar to Revolut?

I stopped using Revolut for non-Euro, as I found the N26 rate to be the same, or occasionally slightly better

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blanchdub

I thought it would help others sharing my experience in October 2021: I moved to N26 from KBC in October 2021, and I had no issue with the social welfare, Direct Debit with BoI's credit card, Direct Debit AIB's mortgage, Iberdrola, Laya, revenue, eFlow...the only very small glitch was with Vodafone, where i could not switch on line, but a call to their support fixed that rapidly. So my experience so far is that there is NO issue whatsoever to use an N26 current account for Direct Debit or for receiving payments. I am guessing that the hassle some have experience earlier has been fixed, since more and more customers are using N26.

I raised a complaint with VOdafone and they told me they will escalate for a long term solution, allowing customer to change their IBAN to a German IBAN online. But again, i could do it thru their support line, so this was not a blocker

Post edited by blanchdub on

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I found N26 difficult to deal with. Perfectly fine app UNTIL you have any problems. I'm a premium YOU account holder. Phone line for premium customers NEVER operational for Irish customers any time I ring a voicemail says out of service. Chat service dreadful. Takes ages, the human operative ( you have to ask for human otherwise bot) have tendancy not to answer precise questions put to them but issue canned responses and they copy and paste terms and conditions. Then when you press them to answer your specific question they give contradictory responses. Just look at trustpilot reviews. All I can say is the app is good but customer service needs improvement. For that reason I wound not bank with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Moved to N26 last week from KBC.

Sky and Eir won't accept the IBAN when trying to update payment details on their website. Painful enough.

Eir even have a drop-down to select the bank and approx 20 banks are listed but no Revolut or N26.

Advertisement