Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toyota Aqua. Only one company in Ireland will insure?

Options
  • 02-12-2020 1:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Car hunting at the minute for an automatic and 99% of the hybrid autos are Japanese imports. Fell in love with the Toyota Aqua/Prius Compact but from ringing around heaps of places and online it seems only one Insurer: KennCo will insure these cars in Ireland. Unfortunately their €3250 quote is a no go (provisional licence) but surely this can't be right?

There's heaps of them for sale on donedeal but buyer beware, you'll be pretty much tied to one non competitive insurance company if you buy one by the look of things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

are they grey imports? the family/larger version?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

1874 wrote: »
    are they grey imports? the family/larger version?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-toyota-aqua-1-5l-self-charging-hybrid/26559890

These yokes.

The Prius itself with the big weird square at the arse of it I think is an awful ugly yoke altogether unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Would that quote be massively different to comparable more familiar models with just a Prov license though?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What reason did other insurers give you for not insuring it?

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Would that quote be massively different to comparable more familiar models with just a Prov license though?

Yeah, a huge difference in some cases tbh. The main one being the likes of Boxymo/123go wont quote at all where as you can get down to €1400+ change with a locally Registered Yaris.

The difference in purchase price though for the same year of car is enormous and you get way less car for that too.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    What reason did other insurers give you for not insuring it?

Just not showing upon their system was all. A computer says no type reason.

Other imports they will accept: Honda Fit(re-regs as Jazz here) is pricy but nowhere near the Aqua, and Nissan Note imports are roughly the same as local cars.

The discrepancy with one particular model seems off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Other imports they will accept: Honda Fit(re-regs as Jazz here) is pricy but nowhere near the Aqua, and Nissan Note imports are roughly the same as local cars.

The discrepancy with one particular model seems off.

When you count that there are probably zero body parts freely available, the risk for the insurer builds up. Insurers don't want a complete outside-of-the-box thinkers as clients as well - they are harder to categorise and assess risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just not showing upon their system was all. A computer says no type reason.

I ask them to check for a Prius-C. It's a simply a different name used in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

provisional licence
    1874 wrote: »
    grey imports

I think the top 2 reason as confirmed by the ad explain the issue.

Provisional licence + odd Japanese import that's not sold here often mean higher insurance premium.

The parts supply for the Fit and Note even if imported are easy to get through main dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's more to do with your learner's permit (which is not a licence) vs the car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's more to do with your learner's permit (which is not a licence) vs the car IMO.

Most definetly but the car will be really pushing it over the top. The OP has done comparisons to other imports from what they've said about and the Toyota is considerably more expensive. Someone in Kennco probably thinks its a Glanza in their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vika123

Car hunting at the minute for an automatic and 99% of the hybrid autos are Japanese imports. Fell in love with the Toyota Aqua/Prius Compact but from ringing around heaps of places and online it seems only one Insurer: KennCo will insure these cars in Ireland. Unfortunately their €3250 quote is a no go (provisional licence) but surely this can't be right?

There's heaps of them for sale on donedeal but buyer beware, you'll be pretty much tied to one non competitive insurance company if you buy one by the look of things.

Have you tried calling insurance companies? I left deposit for one last night but after reading this I’m a bit confused. I tried calling my insurance today to see what it would be and they said that reg is not coming up, told me that maybe it’s just been done recently ant takes about a week to come up on their system, but I just tried to take couple of Reg numbers from done deal and none of them coming up on insurance websites...

Vika123 wrote: »
    Have you tried calling insurance companies? I left deposit for one last night but after reading this I’m a bit confused. I tried calling my insurance today to see what it would be and they said that reg is not coming up, told me that maybe it’s just been done recently ant takes about a week to come up on their system, but I just tried to take couple of Reg numbers from done deal and none of them coming up on insurance websites...

Hi there, yeah I actually got the number for KennCo off one of the other insurers, I think it was AXA and they suggested they (KennCo) were about the only company that would deal with the car. I had also gotten a very very similar quote from quotedevil which I'd say came from the same place. Would drive ya up the wall the amount of ringing around before you even buy a car.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think you might need to reassess what you're doing here. It's never a good idea to fixate on one model of car when shopping, as you can see it's leading you down the rabbit home of higher insurance costs and likely higher repair costs if anything goes wrong.

If you want an automatic then basically any hybrid (or EV, just gonna chuck that in) will do the job

To be frank, given you're on a learner permit, something like a Yaris hybrid would probably suit best since it's unlikely you'll be rallying the car around or anything

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I think you might need to reassess what you're doing here. It's never a good idea to fixate on one model of car when shopping, as you can see it's leading you down the rabbit home of higher insurance costs and likely higher repair costs if anything goes wrong.

If you want an automatic then basically any hybrid (or EV, just gonna chuck that in) will do the job

To be frank, given you're on a learner permit, something like a Yaris hybrid would probably suit best since it's unlikely you'll be rallying the car around or anything
    I wasn't really fixating on a single model to be fair, I'd priced up a fair few of them but was annoyed the nicest one to my eyes wasn't doable. I've actually gone ahead with buying exactly that today: a nice little (Irish) Yaris Hybrid. Just waiting now to get finance sorted tomorrow hopefully.

Hi there, yeah I actually got the number for KennCo off one of the other insurers, I think it was AXA and they suggested they (KennCo) were about the only company that would deal with the car. I had also gotten a very very similar quote from quotedevil which I'd say came from the same place. Would drive ya up the wall the amount of ringing around before you even buy a car.lol

I was a bit panicking last night regarding this after reading all the comments. Went on few insurance companies and looks like Liberty has Aqua on the list and the rest looks like you just need to select Toyota Prius and then 1.5 engine hybrid. As far as I know this is the only version of Prius with such engine. Will call my insurance again today and will see what they will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I was a bit panicking last night regarding this after reading all the comments. Went on few insurance companies and looks like Liberty has Aqua on the list and the rest looks like you just need to select Toyota Prius and then 1.5 engine hybrid. As far as I know this is the only version of Prius with such engine. Will call my insurance again today and will see what they will say.

The regular 2004-2009 Prius is 1.5 as well. If your car is an Aqua, then for insurers it’s not a Prius (even though it’s sold as a Prius C in other markets)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The regular 2004-2009 Prius is 1.5 as well. If your car is an Aqua, then for insurers it’s not a Prius (even though it’s sold as a Prius C in other markets)
    Yeah I’m talking about 2015 and up. Insurance should open soon so will see what’s the story. If my insurance not taking it will need to look for another car and hope for deposit back 😂👌

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d say their systems would let you put in any model you want, but it needs to be the model you have.

Might be worth looking at donedeal and using a reg number from another Aqua when looking for a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

I see one in Tramore most days. I'll look at the insurance disc and see who insured it next time i see it.
    It's a bit bigger than a Yaris but way smaller than a Prius

ei9go wrote: »
    I see one in Tramore most days. I'll look at the insurance disc and see who insured it next time i see it.
    It's a bit bigger than a Yaris but way smaller than a Prius

Ok so I spoke with my insurance few times today and they said if it doesn’t come up in their system within 7 days of registration then they just take it as a car they don’t accept insuring. I asked my dealer for one older reg number so I could see if it will come up and it didn’t. I’m with 123.ie obviously spoke with dealer and he was like I don’t get what’s the problem there are loads of them around and people get insurances, told me to call some broker and she got quote for me with a a full comprehensive 799.

So everything all clear with the Yaris, Deposit paid and will be delivered early next week. Got quoted €1900 + €60 AA Membership Fully Comp, no telematics/km restrictions from AA Insurance and delighted with that all things considered. Can even get a cancellation driving test before Christmas. Good to go.

Good to see non learners can get insured on the Aqua, will definitely still have an eye on them as a second car when the better half gets going on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CJVlas

Mellor wrote: »
    I ask them to check for a Prius-C. It's a simply a different name used in Japan.

Hey! Do you also own a Prius C/Aqua? who did you insure it with?

Or anyone else (aqua owners), would you please let me know who is your insurance with?

Thanks

Ok so I spoke with my insurance few times today and they said if it doesn’t come up in their system within 7 days of registration then they just take it as a car they don’t accept insuring. I asked my dealer for one older reg number so I could see if it will come up and it didn’t. I’m with 123.ie obviously spoke with dealer and he was like I don’t get what’s the problem there are loads of them around and people get insurances, told me to call some broker and she got quote for me with a a full comprehensive 799.

Hey Vika, who is your insurer? Would you be able to share the phone number of that broker please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Phgirl28

Hi, I'm on the same dilemma and would love to know where you got insured with. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the prius c (compact) aqua is very basic compared to other cars in its class,honda fit and yaris hybrid streets ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to insurance forum where there is a sticky thread for EVs.

For those of you who are still struggling to insure your Aquas, here is a list of insurance companies that have Aqua on the list:
    FBD.ie
    Liberty

Here are the companies that offered me a quote even thought they do not have Aqua on the list (i tried to get a quote online, set a regular toyota prius for the quote, and then called them directly explaining that i couldn't find my car on the list and that i chose the closest thing. I explained that it is a Toyota Aqua (prius c), gave them the engine size the year and everything and they were able to offer a cover for it in the end):
    AXA
    Bank of ireland
    Aviva

I have decided to go with Aviva. The quote was for ~800 euro.

Alianz, Miss Quote, its4women - do not insure JP import.

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement