Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice article on the history of the Aer Lingus B747s

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

EchoIndia wrote: »
    That rings a bell. I have my notes of that somewhere, flight number might have been EI4941 and IIRC on climbout from Dublin they estimated to make about FL190 by WAL and 290 by Dover. Pre-Swanwick, LATCC was at West Drayton, of course.

Always appreciate reading something that makes me feel young for a change! West Drayton indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Not sure how relevant to the thread this is, but the thread title immediately triggered a memory...

I somehow learned that Aer Lingus were taking delivery of a 747, so on the appointed day I cycled out to the airport, abandoned my wreck of a bicycle somewhere and went up on the roof of one of the buildings to watch it come in. I was a young teenager at the time, but cannot say what year it was. But I was thrilled to bits. Many years later, I got the opportunity to explore one in the hangar when all the seats were out. It felt like being in a football stadium.

despite the above, I'm in no way an aviation buff. Just got lucky twice , :)

Just looked it up there, March 1971, I was 15, just before my Inter Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 duskyjoe2

Astral Nav wrote: »

They had the original JT9D engines, never upgraded. .
    they were allegedly on a small point and I need someone from the hangars to confirm. Allegedly EIN 747s used a hybrid engine in later years using core components from the 200 series in the hot section whilst obviously retaining the original 100 fan sections .... AL were the only operator to do this .... irrespective they still groaned but sitting in the cockpit with those Pratt’s at full chat was a sound to behold. Can some one confirm the above ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I had the privilege of going to the cockpit of EI-ASI on a flight to JFK. Was only a kid (and an aviation nut), the crew were incredibly nice and it was a complete surprise for me. I remember being awe-struck by all the analogue dials and the glow of the sun through the (orange?) sun visors.

Will never forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Non-EI. We tried to replicate -100 takeoff / performance in a full flight simulator. We never managed to stop on the runway. As they were usually limited by the ALL ENGINE 115% takeoff distance, you would see them crawl off the end of performance limited runways, usually with the EGT of all 4 engines in the red, and the flight engine doing his best to control them. After that, a 300 fpm climb on all engine was usual.

Tried the same stunt in the -400 FFS, that thing was an absolute rocket and stopped on a dime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

They drank fuel and oil and leaked everywhere. first job on the turnaround was to open all four cowlings and let them cool down and then top up fluids.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

smurfjed wrote: »

Tried the same stunt in the -400 FFS, that thing was an absolute rocket and stopped on a dime.

Long time ago now, we "borrowed" a 747-400 sim for some research work, and during the session, decided that it would be "interesting" to try a landing at the famous Flight sim airstrip, Chicago Meigs. we did it with minimum fuel, and some of the SOP parameters were massaged a little, but we did get in and out again with the 400. The only things that got broken were some of the commercial rules about distances, and for sure we went over the fence a good bit lower that normal, on both the landing, and the departure.

They were fun sessions, and made a huge contribution to getting the flight model of the PC based system we were working on to more accurately work as a heavy jet should, rather than being a thinly disguised C182 that was made to look like a 747, which was the case for years with Flight Sim.

How times have changed!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Stovepipe wrote: »
    They drank fuel and oil and leaked everywhere. first job on the turnaround was to open all four cowlings and let them cool down and then top up fluids.

And the wheel wells reeked of Skydrol!

And the wheel wells reeked of Skydrol!

Wasn't there a storage area down there often used by EI Spanners to send their coffee machines down to Shannon to be repaired by the manufacturer? Fairly sure I read that elsewhere....it was called "the lower 45" or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyknight

HTCOne wrote: »
    Wasn't there a storage area down there often used by EI Spanners to send their coffee machines down to Shannon to be repaired by the manufacturer? Fairly sure I read that elsewhere....it was called "the lower 45" or something.

It was 'The Lower 41' or the 'Hell Hole', and that was on the 720 and 707's (and the 1011's) Its a hatch in the floor of the cockpit, which allowed a member of the crew to climb down and check to ensure the nose gear was locked in the down position. You may have read about it in relation to the crash Eastern Airlines 401, as it was where the crew members were, discussing the position of the gear when the aircraft.

HTCOne wrote: »

I think “Stovepipe” might be your source for that information!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Skyknight wrote: »
    It was 'The Lower 41' or the 'Hell Hole', and that was on the 720 and 707's (and the 1011's) Its a hatch in the floor of the cockpit, which allowed a member of the crew to climb down and check to ensure the nose gear was locked in the down position. You may have read about it in relation to the crash Eastern Airlines 401, as it was where the crew members were, discussing the position of the gear when the aircraft.

Read a book about that crash. I think it was called "The Ghost of Flight 401". The description of the lead up to the crash and its immediate aftermath was (for a layman) very informative.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Few shots of the AL 747's in this lovely old ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Read about this again.
    According to Robert J. Serling's 1980 book From the Captain to the Colonel: An Informal History of Eastern Airlines, the claim that wreckage from Flight 401 was installed and later removed from other Eastern aircraft was false, and no Eastern employees had ever claimed to have seen or believed in the alleged ghost sightings. Skeptic Brian Dunning claims that the origin for the ghost sightings was a joke made by an Eastern Air Lines captain after an emergency landing in which he quipped that he "thought [Don] Repo's ghost was on the plane."[22][24]

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I think “Stovepipe” might be your source for that information!

We shipped a few items to Krups back in the day for guys in M & E. Electric razors etc. It was a great way of getting stuff from DUB - SNN and visa versa without the paperwork. Open the Lwr 41 door behind the NLG and throw in what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only the engineer was down there IIRC

The other two were preoccupied with the gear light to the extent of opening the panel to check the bulb filaments instead of flying the bloody plane :(

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyknight

smurfjed wrote: »
    The L1011 had a lower under floor galley, I believe that’s where the crew were when the aircraft crashed. I remember that the ghost was apparently seen by crew on other flights in that area.
    knockon wrote: »
    We shipped a few items to Krups back in the day for guys in M & E. Electric razors etc. It was a great way of getting stuff from DUB - SNN and visa versa without the paperwork. Open the Lwr 41 door behind the NLG and throw in what you want.

Oh right....so access to the Lower 41 could be made though the forward lounge...I always assumed it was an addition to the -200 to -400.

If there are are no steps up to the aircraft, that how you get in. I've only ever used the one on a 747-400. The A330 has a similar hatch under the nose behind the radome but we never use it as the inner hatch and ladder are awkward to open and stow afterwards, but they are there. In the 330, the captain has to have his seat fully forward to allow the hatch to open fully.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    If there are are no steps up to the aircraft, that how you get in. I've only ever used the one on a 747-400. The A330 has a similar hatch under the nose behind the radome but we never use it as the inner hatch and ladder are awkward to open and stow afterwards, but they are there. In the 330, the captain has to have his seat fully forward to allow the hatch to open fully.

Stovepipe, you sound like you may have been there the day one of the Aer Lingus 747s ended up to it’s axles in the mud having blown off stand during a storm.
    Major panic ensued, with engineering staff having to dig it out with the help of Two tugs.

There's a story of one getting stuck on the turn pad on the 06 end at SNN after landing. The fog was only a few feet off the ground and the crew were above it in sunlight but couldn't see the ground and couldn't risk going into the grass and getting stuck. Can't remember whether they had to wait for the fog to burn off or if a tug went to get them.

• Advertisement

Stovepipe, you sound like you may have been there the day one of the Aer Lingus 747s ended up to it’s axles in the mud having blown off stand during a storm.
    Major panic ensued, with engineering staff having to dig it out with the help of Two tugs.

Not present but heard the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TDM900

0lddog wrote: »
    Pat, you gave me the idea to do a little search

First up from the search engine

https://ifiplayer.ie/radharc-blessing-the-aer-lingus-fleet/

:)
    Thanks for that link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

For the life of me I cannot remember what this is

Anyone know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EI-AKL Viscount St Colmcille I think.

Viscount was my original assumption 'till I tried to count the engines

You can just see a prop from #3 poking out below the nose. Angle of the photo makes it look like a twin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can also tell from the position of the more obviously visible ones that they aren't symmetrical so there would have to be four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Here's EI-AKL in the earlier 'green top' livery:

This one shows the arrangement of the engines better. By modern turboprop standards, the props are quite small and the engines are almost as close in to the fuselage as they can get.

Scrap the cap!

Thanks all.

Hotblack's pics show just how inboard the inboard engines are/were

Advertisement